Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2016, 11:48 AM

76 posts, read 270,934 times

Advertisements

He's four, so the attention span is not terribly long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 02:21 PM

950 posts, read 1,260,381 times
Morgan's Wonderland has some fishing ponds as well as their rides. There used to be years ago a place out on Loop 1604 by Adkins that had some ponds you could fish at. As a kid growing up,we used to go either to Boerne and fish Cibolo Creek ,it starts up in the Boerne area. Or we would go to mainly Blanco State Park. You might try some of the state parks in the area.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:11 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,503,207 times
Boerne Lake is nice for taking a youngin' fishing.
Brackenridge Park would be a good spot also. Any particular side of town you prefer?

Old 04-13-2016, 03:13 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,213,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizm View Post
He's four, so the attention span is not terribly long.
My grandfather used to take me to ponds that were jammed packed with sunfish. Now that I'm older, I laugh at sunfish. But then I was little, those sunfish were a blast to catch.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:24 PM

520 posts, read 782,342 times
Castroville Regional Park

No entry fee though you can rent a picnic table for the day for $5. Rio Medina borders it to the east. There are several nice sized pools along the length but at the bottom of the U through the park is where I take my girls in the mornings. Basically wipe a worm on a hook and throw your line in. Your kid will have a bite in seconds. Obviously these are not keepers but he will not get bored and you will not get a chance to sit down, LOL. My girls love it, we can spend a few hours there and not keep a thing but they have a blast hauling them in. It's small panfish mostly but don't fool yourself there are some nice sized catfish (I've seen) and bass (I've heard) in that stretch and it's free.

If he gets bored there are shallows he can play in and trails you can explore.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:25 PM

847 posts, read 2,232,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyVaquero View Post
Castroville Regional Park

No entry fee though you can rent a picnic table for the day for $5. Rio Medina borders it to the east. There are several nice sized pools along the length but at the bottom of the U through the park is where I take my girls in the mornings. Basically wipe a worm on a hook and throw your line in. Your kid will have a bite in seconds. Obviously these are not keepers but he will not get bored and you will not get a chance to sit down, LOL. My girls love it, we can spend a few hours there and not keep a thing but they have a blast hauling them in. It's small panfish mostly but don't fool yourself there are some nice sized catfish (I've seen) and bass (I've heard) in that stretch and it's free.

If he gets bored there are shallows he can play in and trails you can explore.
can't get much better than that.

in the 50s my grandfather took us to the Comal for Rio Grande Perch

Old 04-13-2016, 11:10 PM

268 posts, read 357,744 times
Millers Pond, live oak park, or Southside Lions Park in San ANtonio all have bluegill, catfish, even some bass.
Its just about too late, but during the winter months TPWD stocks rainbow trout in them as well as at Brackenridge Park.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:34 AM

39 posts, read 46,132 times
Let me bump this old thread. I am looking for somewhere that's close to 1604 on the northside to bring my 6-year old for her first fishing experience. Thanks!

Old 07-24-2016, 06:24 AM

520 posts, read 782,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0knows View Post
Let me bump this old thread. I am looking for somewhere that's close to 1604 on the northside to bring my 6-year old for her first fishing experience. Thanks!
Read my previous post, I know you said near N 1604 but I have yet to find a place where you get more bang for your buck ($0) than the Castroville park. Get there in the morning. She will catch something, which is what will get her 'hooked' on fishing.

That said, I'm not all that familiar the north end of SA so you might want to also check San Antonio Fishing Forum, as you can imagine most guys/gals are pretty tight lipped about their honey holes but that is where I first learned about Castroville.

Old 07-25-2016, 02:07 PM

39 posts, read 46,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyVaquero View Post
Read my previous post, I know you said near N 1604 but I have yet to find a place where you get more bang for your buck ($0) than the Castroville park. Get there in the morning. She will catch something, which is what will get her 'hooked' on fishing.

That said, I'm not all that familiar the north end of SA so you might want to also check San Antonio Fishing Forum, as you can imagine most guys/gals are pretty tight lipped about their honey holes but that is where I first learned about Castroville.
Thanks CyVaguero, I did actually bookmark the Castroville Regional Park website after reading your post! It's about an hour drive out there which is why I'm looking for somewhere closer. I do think I will check it out sometime in the fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio