Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 04:01 AM

9 posts, read 8,375 times

Advertisements

I am very disappointed for the lack of support UTSA football is getting, There is enough alumni and students to fill the lower bowl of the stadium. Five years ago I was there at the first game when more than 56k people attended. Then I thought UTSA football was going to be great, but the lack of traditions and the fact that many of the students attend UTSA because they were unable to attend an Ivy League University so they don't care about football, maybe a factor in the lack of interest from the students. There are many students in UTSA that wear UT, Baylor, Texas Tech, Texas A&M shirts, hats and others, so they do not identified themselves as UTSA students, instead they consider UTSA as a pit stop before getting to the school of their choice, even though many end up graduating from UTSA.

With that said this weekend is going to be a great game vs UTEP. Go Runners!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 06:50 AM

424 posts, read 610,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abc123babyunme View Post
I am very disappointed for the lack of support UTSA football is getting, There is enough alumni and students to fill the lower bowl of the stadium. Five years ago I was there at the first game when more than 56k people attended. Then I thought UTSA football was going to be great, but the lack of traditions and the fact that many of the students attend UTSA because they were unable to attend an Ivy League University so they don't care about football, maybe a factor in the lack of interest from the students. There are many students in UTSA that wear UT, Baylor, Texas Tech, Texas A&M shirts, hats and others, so they do not identified themselves as UTSA students, instead they consider UTSA as a pit stop before getting to the school of their choice, even though many end up graduating from UTSA.

With that said this weekend is going to be a great game vs UTEP. Go Runners!!!!
Ivy League? None of the schools you listed are Ivy League nor would UTSA be a fall back school for anyone who was denied enrollment into an Ivy League school. Pretty much none of the schools you listed would be a fall back school for someone who couldn't get into an Ivy League school.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:22 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,101,766 times
its gonna take some time. I voted for the football team when I was attending just... 8-9 years ago? its incredible the strides they've made but still a very young football program.

I try to make a few games a year (although basketball and baseball are my fav sports). what they need to do is put together a winning season. they've got a great shot this year if they keep beating their conference opponents. if they can clinch a berth to a bowl game and do a little more marketing, that can bring more fans that will stick around for a bit.

even spurs games wouldn't fill up if they began losing. sports fans here show up once the winning starts (can be said for most though right?).

doesn't help when theyre playing in a pro style outdated stadium lol. but theres still a core support that's cool to see.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:47 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,123,272 times
I see in the Express-News that the Roadrunners lost yesterday to UTEP 52-49 at home in 5 overtimes!

Tough way to lose. I wouldn't wish that on anybody. The icing on that bad-tasting cake is that it was Homecoming.

Old 10-23-2016, 01:05 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,262,684 times
Bottom line: UTSA will never draw rowdy student support as long as they are playing 20 miles away from campus. The time to experiment is over. UTSA is at a crossroads.

Old 10-23-2016, 02:00 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,411,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Bottom line: UTSA will never draw rowdy student support as long as they are playing 20 miles away from campus. The time to experiment is over. UTSA is at a crossroads.
Question: Does UTSA run shuttle buses to the games?

Old 10-26-2016, 10:42 AM

74 posts, read 239,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
Question: Does UTSA run shuttle buses to the games?
Yep! Every game!

Old 10-26-2016, 01:52 PM

Will be at the next game, but am a UNT grad, albeit several decades ago.

Old 10-30-2016, 04:53 PM

Was at the game as a UNT fan(think Mean Joe Green era).

My group was greeted by several UTSA fans, all in a warm and inviting manner-welcome to San Antonio, good luck tonight, etc.

I am very proud of my San Antonio comrades.

As a casual observer, I was disappointed in the student attendance or lack thereof.

Old 10-30-2016, 04:57 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,123,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
A new stadium on the campus is not in the cards for UTSA in the next 19 years. Their lease on the Alamodome runs through 2035.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...long-term.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio