Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2023, 03:16 PM

5 posts, read 4,855 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know the name of some of the theaters they used to have in the 90's to 80's era? More along the lines of the dollar theaters, where you would only pay a dollar to get in (I think you could only watch older movies)? ...like the ones in windsor park mall before it became rackspace.

I know there was one (dollar theater i think?) I used to visit, that used to play the rocky horrror picture show all the time and would always leave "now playing" poster up. Are any of these old/dollar theaters still around? Or which ones got torn down or remodled?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2023, 11:36 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,530,019 times
The Cinemark Movies 9 in the old McCreeles Mall would play 2nd run movies for a 1.50. It was the only dollar theatre I remember on the Southside of town.
These nostalgia threads about old restaurants, bars, nightclubs, theatres and restaurants are quite popular on the San Antonio forum.

Old 02-04-2023, 11:45 AM

1,710 posts, read 4,131,815 times
Rocky Horror played at almost every theatre in town at one time or another. I know the Fox Theatre across Rector from Central park Mall ran it for a long while. It was a "dollar house" during that time. I ran it at the Northwest 10 theatre but it never was a dollar theatre. The first dollar theatres were the Callaghan Twin on Callaghan Road, the Westwood Twin, and the Perrin Twin on Naco Perrin. They were small two screen theatres that popped up in the 70s. There was the McCreless Cinema I & II owned by General Cinema that ran dollar movies for many years before the Cinemark 9 plex took it's place. The South Park 4 in South Park Mall was a dollar theatre towards the end of it's existence. The Ingram Square theatre in the Ingram Square shopping center across from Ingram Mall did, too. Back in the 70s, the old Prince Theatre downtown started running dollar movies and was actually renamed "Dollar Theatre". The Laurel Theatre on San Pedro beat them all and ran movies for 99 cent admission in the last couple of years of it's existence.

Old 02-28-2023, 08:37 AM

5 posts, read 4,855 times
Do you have any picture or videos of these theatres? I see some online but am not remebering them and they are few older pics. I was born in 83, so I don't have a very clear memory of much of this besides if they existed in the 80's or more so 90's. Btw my understanding is central park mall was torn down. Do you know where that was located or what is in place of it now? Is it the park noth shopping center on the nw loop 410 access rd?

Old 02-28-2023, 08:48 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,231,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerene View Post
Btw my understanding is central park mall was torn down. Do you know where that was located or what is in place of it now? Is it the park noth shopping center on the nw loop 410 access rd?
The movie theatre at Central Park was located at the southwest corner of the mall property, approximately where the Target store is now.

Old 04-26-2023, 09:32 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,131,815 times
Another bargain theatre was the Nakoma 8, San Pedro and Nakoma. It opened as a first run theatre and quickly changed to the dollar format. I saw "Mr. Holland's Opus" there in 1996.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio