Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 07:40 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,653,212 times

Advertisements

Well the reason I don't say southside is cause I was raised on the northside. I have a lot of friends that were raise on the southside and love it just fine although it does lack certain things that they have to drive for. Southside does have a certain flavor that the Northside lacks but my boys schools are over here on the northside and the ease to get to the Hill Country and up to see my older parents (in Kerrville) make me stay over here. Alot of the crime you hear about is on the South/Southwest sides but that is mainly domestic stuff. Take a look all over you might find your place here in SA.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:43 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,243,535 times
Here's an Express-News article about developments on the southeast side, mainly City-Base Landing.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/neighbors/southeast/stories/MYSA011007.1H.SE.landingschristmas.1e1b00a.html (broken link)

Old 01-11-2007, 08:32 AM
AKF

178 posts, read 708,703 times
thanks for that info. i too am looking to move to san antonio and have heard similar things about the southside. so, would you suggest that a person could live comfortably in the southeast side? what is the crime rate like? do you know if there are asians who actually live there? i know you mentioned there are several rest. run by asians...but do any reside in that area?
do you know what range the properties in that area go for?

essentially what i am looking for is:
1. i love the southwester/spanish style homes. (i want to consider buying one that maybe under the $100K range...the other issue is about lead based paint...i realize most of these homes may have lead based paint because of their age?)
2. having lived in booneycounty indiana...i am not interested in living in a similar setting (no offense to anyone). i would like to live where things are happening...art museums, history, culture, film, entertainment etc, etc, etc. i am not a bar person...so not particularly looking for "nightlife" of that sort...but am looking for family friendly area where there's lots to do.
3. i realize nothing can be done about the humidity factor...and perhaps something is being done about pollution but noone seems to really know...
4. i want to be in an area where i can come out of my house and go for a walk alone without fearing for my life...ala...camden, nj!

any input?
thanks

Old 01-21-2007, 08:01 AM

2 posts, read 4,790 times
Wink City South?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
South is not recommended for a reason. It's the older side of San Antonio filled with 3rd or 4th San Antonians. It's a very working man's area, homes aren't kept up to par. It's not a "poor" area, my grandmother lives on the south side and she's anything but poor. I really honestly don't know how to describe it. It has soo much tradition in both race and lifestyle. Don't get me wrong, you'll find whites and blacks on the south side and many many asian restaurants run by asians. But its majority hispanic. It's an area deep in history, deep in tradition, and deep in familiarity.

It's funny because there's a quasi-fued between the north side and south side. It's more playful than visious. People from the south side get made fun of or dissed when they move to "the north side."

I guess the best way to say it is, the south side was built out a long time ago. The neighorhoods have been there for decades upon decades. It filled with generations of families (grand mom lives in one house, parents another, kids in another, aunt and uncle somewhere else, cousins over there etc) all within the southside.

The southeast side is totally different from that. Highland Hills, Highland Park, Pecan Valley, the Foster area. It's a mix of old (not very old, early 70's) and new. New subdivisions are being built, new shopping centers, new hospitals, etc. Small lots are being bought up at a rapid pace with new homes being built on them. My parents house (on the southeast side; where I grew up) had four lots (one behind them, one two houses up the street, one a block west of them, and one two blocks south of their home) bought and then developed within the last two years. These are lots that had always been empty since the land was plotted all those years back.

Also, where all the new subdivisions are being built, its within the East Central ISD which is a better school district to SAISD which serves all the south side.

Now the far south side is a different story, that is the area that includes City South.

That area is master planned to be an urban and dense area. Many large master planned communities have began construction on homes. It'll be the jewel of the Southside.
I have googled City South for San Antonio TX , we are new here in SA. And nothing turned up for any area designated City South. Could you give me streets that would be the boundrys for City South?

room2roam

Old 01-21-2007, 08:36 AM

60 posts, read 221,360 times
Default SA Statistics

http://recenter.tamu.edu/mreports/SanAntonio.pdf#search='2006%20San%20Antonio%20MSa'

http://txsdc.utsa.edu/tpepp/2006projections/2006_txpopprj_msatotnum.php (broken link)

Take care.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:01 AM

2 posts, read 4,828 times
Smile moving to San Antonio

I too am moving to San Antonio in the next couple of months. I am thinking about City SouthSide near the Toyota Plant. After looking at homes around the North Central area they seem to be more than I can afford.
I am interested in the new homes being built. I can afford a morgage payment between $625.00 and $700.00, does anyone know if this is possible.
I could afford more but I don't want to push it. If you know of any good web sites to see these homes I would appreciate it.
I grew up in San Antonio on the westside, but I have been living in Houston for the past 38 years. I am ready for a change. San Antonio is a totally different way of living and I have not been living here, just existing. Can't wait to be back with friendly people. Anyway any help I can get will be appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-21-2007, 11:12 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,296,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCLARANNA View Post
I too am moving to San Antonio in the next couple of months. I am thinking about City SouthSide near the Toyota Plant. After looking at homes around the North Central area they seem to be more than I can afford.
I am interested in the new homes being built. I can afford a morgage payment between $625.00 and $700.00, does anyone know if this is possible.
I could afford more but I don't want to push it. If you know of any good web sites to see these homes I would appreciate it.
I grew up in San Antonio on the westside, but I have been living in Houston for the past 38 years. I am ready for a change. San Antonio is a totally different way of living and I have not been living here, just existing. Can't wait to be back with friendly people. Anyway any help I can get will be appreciated. Thanks
I'm in the same boat as you with price range. Of course your interest rate (if you have good credit) will allow you a bit more...

You are most likely to find it affordable if you stay OUT of the north side.

I have no desire to live North, although I "grew up" there, but at this point I couldn't afford it anyway, even if I wanted to!

I, too, grew up being warned to stay out of the Southside. Then I grew up, and investigated for myself. I think a lot of it is JUST "stigma". I know quite a few people who live south and southeast and they chose that part of town because they couldn't afford much else but have now made it home and couldn't be happier.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:25 AM

2 posts, read 4,828 times
Thanks for info, and good luck.
I also need to find a good nursing home for my mom. If anyone has information on the nursing homes in that area that would really help. She is very lonely here, hardly any hispanics at the nursing home here. She needs people she can talk to in Spanish and talk about old times, she is 94 and lived in SA all her life. She misses home, main reason for moving. I want her happy.
Thanks in advance for any info.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,403 times
Default Industrial Property City South

Hi guys,

I've been reading all of the great insight and info on San Antonio you all have.

For 11 years we have owned a 178 tract of industrial land south of Loop 410 on Hwy 16, just north of the Toyota plant.

We are considering selling it in the near future. Do you guys have any ideas on who would be best to visit with or where to start?

Thanks in advance!

==Sulli==
Moderator cut: phone number

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 02-21-2007 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: Please don't post your personal info.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:21 PM

925 posts, read 1,228,076 times
Monte Viejo ($100,000 - $180,000)
Greenway Terrace ($104,000 - $148,000)
Highland Heights ($127,000 - $169,000)
Hunter’s Pond ($117,000 - $176,000)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio