Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 01:55 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Ya think? I can name countless companies raking billions in profits every year that still charge their employees for health insurance.
thats their right. if you feel that strongly about it, open up your own business and offer healthcare to your employees?

most companies that i have a business relationship with are either cutting back on healthcare for their employees or just arent accepting any new members due to that nightmare called Obamacare.

if you want to blame someone, blame our failed president for the rising cost of healthcare. he had a chance for some real reform but CAVED like hes known for nowadays.

/fully supports competition in the insurance market. this 'i only accept so and so insurance' crap needs to go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 02:13 PM

679 posts, read 1,803,003 times
Quote:
Ya think? I can name countless companies raking billions in profits every year that still charge their employees for health insurance.
My husband is on management track and works for a Fortune 15 company IN THE MEDICAL FIELD and our monthly health insurance premium is outrageous.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:30 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,502 times
I have you all beat. I pay $16.00 a month with Carelink :P

Old 04-17-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
I have you all beat. I pay $16.00 a month with Carelink :P
carelink is a really good program for those in need of medical attention but whos jobs dont offer it, or do offer it but at an outrageous price.

still, i pay 15$ copay, almost nothing for meds (i dont remember if carelink covers meds or not... there is always wal marts drug program though if it doesnt), 100$ for ER visits. thats pretty much it. couldnt be happier with the coverage i have.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:48 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
thats their right. if you feel that strongly about it, open up your own business and offer healthcare to your employees?

most companies that i have a business relationship with are either cutting back on healthcare for their employees or just arent accepting any new members due to that nightmare called Obamacare.

if you want to blame someone, blame our failed president for the rising cost of healthcare. he had a chance for some real reform but CAVED like hes known for nowadays.

/fully supports competition in the insurance market. this 'i only accept so and so insurance' crap needs to go!

I dont "feel strongly" about anything. I was simply pointing out that low health insurance costs have nothing to do with education or staying at a job for a long time since your original post mentioned both things.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
I dont "feel strongly" about anything. I was simply pointing out that low health insurance costs have nothing to do with education or staying at a job for a long time since your original post mentioned both things.
education allows you to accept jobs that have a higher pay rate and offer incentives, like insurance.

staying on with a company for an extended period of time builds character, loyalty and reputation with that company, more reasons for them to offer you healthcare. some companies wont even consider letting you access their benefits until your probationary period is up. sometimes, this can be a year or longer.

from my personal experience, i know that companies are very hesitant, if at all, to allow an uneducated, inexperienced person access to a job at said company with benefits.

having a good education and sticking with a company for an extended period of time does in fact have a great deal to do with why a company would/would not offer you insurance... or a job for that matter.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:05 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
Quote:
education allows you to accept jobs that have a higher pay rate and offer incentives, like insurance.

staying on with a company for an extended period of time builds character, loyalty and reputation with that company, more reasons for them to offer you healthcare. some companies wont even consider letting you access their benefits until your probationary period is up. sometimes, this can be a year or longer.

from my personal experience, i know that companies are very hesitant, if at all, to allow an uneducated, inexperienced person access to a job at said company with benefits.

having a good education and sticking with a company for an extended period of time does in fact have a great deal to do with why a company would/would not offer you insurance... or a job for that matter.
I am going to agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:06 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,713,148 times
Quote:
carelink is a really good program for those in need of medical attention but whos jobs dont offer it, or do offer it but at an outrageous price.

still, i pay 15$ copay, almost nothing for meds (i dont remember if carelink covers meds or not... there is always wal marts drug program though if it doesnt), 100$ for ER visits. thats pretty much it. couldnt be happier with the coverage i have.
Interesting. What and who do you work for?

Old 04-17-2011, 03:08 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,502 times
Quote:
education allows you to accept jobs that have a higher pay rate and offer incentives, like insurance. [...] Having a good education and sticking with a company for an extended period of time does in fact have a great deal to do with why a company would/would not offer you insurance... or a job for that matter.
Ugh I just wrote a whole bunch of stuff then just accidently deleted it and plus I have to go to HEB and can't write all this again.

I'll just say this: we're in recession. Times are different now. 15 million Americans are out of work...that's more competition for everyone. Good jobs are harder to find. While I agree with your point of view, it's not very realistic to say that just because you have a good education that your life will effervescent. Nope. I wish. In this economic situation, it's not so rosy.

Maybe later I'll write more. HEB is calling.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:13 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,907 times
Default 600.00 mo. ,

That is not too bad a price for top shelf health insurance, does it include dental, prescription etc?
The so-called Cadillac ins. Health plans are much higher.These high prices are a rip-off and I too have watched my premiums escalate like crazy. The pharmaceutical companies are reaping billions of dollars of profits each and every year as are the big insurance companies.It is like inflation run amuck.
Our deductibles are now 20% of hospital stays and any procedures, plus now
a co-pay too has been thrown in. Until last year , for thirty years- everything was covered 100%. Only dental, prescription and office visits had a $5.00 co-pay.
I would bet these premiums will rise even faster now that the denial of med. coverage for pre-existing conditions is illegal and will not work for the profiteers in the Med. ins. business.
After figuring expenses of insurance for cars, house, and health, it is amazing how deeply corporations can reach into one's pocket. Insurance is like another tax . Where will it all stop ?
One needs to make a pretty good living nowadays just to keep up
with these bills alone, and they aren't even medical bills.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaTe0508 View Post
Any recommendations for health insurance for self-employed?

Current Health Insurance: Monthly Premium steadily increasing by 10 per-cent every six months.
In September, monthly premium will be over $700.00 per month.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio