Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2007, 12:53 AM

106 posts, read 449,415 times

Advertisements

I've been considering a move, but won't do so without a job secured first. Has anyone had any luck with personnel agencies or do they mostly do temp or temp-to-hire jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 06:41 AM

48 posts, read 251,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by js63 View Post
I've been considering a move, but won't do so without a job secured first. Has anyone had any luck with personnel agencies or do they mostly do temp or temp-to-hire jobs?
I live here and have beena ctively searching for a job. I'm not having luck with the personnel/staffing agencies. Don't get me wrong - there are jobs out there, but if you're looking for specific requirements (i.e. certain pay, hours, etc.) the agencies all want to push what they've got and get you to interview or possibly take positions. (Kinda like being a square peg forced into a round hole). It also depends on what you are trying to obtain. At any rate, with that said, don't be discouraged. Jobs are out there. You just gotta keep digging and looking.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:50 AM

Well, I'd ideally like a job doing what I'm good at (although I don't know of any personnel agencies that hire for writing/editing jobs) and that will pay enough that I can pay all my bills and not always be one paycheck away from homelessness. I haven't had a decent job in five years, so yes, I am very discouraged.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:00 AM

60 posts, read 221,346 times
Default Agencies don't go outside the scope?

I'm an analyst now for 30 yrs. I don't have any certifications. If an employer/client of their was looking for an individual with certification that's what they would stick to. My 30 yrs of experience was overlooked, but if someone with a certification let's say 5-10 year of exp. would be selected. Bottom line I have not has any success with agencies.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:56 PM

40 posts, read 166,482 times
I used an agency that was very well known in larger metro areas, LA, SanFran, Houston, Dallas, etc., who unknown to me were fairly new in SA. After months of not hearing much from them other than 'it's a cool market in the legal field', I went with an established legal placement agency. Within the first few days, they had me lined up to interview at a few firms, and I ultimately landed a full-time position through them.

Look into an agency to make sure they are connected in your field; if not, you are wasting your time.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:58 PM

Hmm, I don't know of any agencies for writers/editors/proofreaders/copy editors/journalists.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:01 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by js63 View Post
Hmm, I don't know of any agencies for writers/editors/proofreaders/copy editors/journalists.
js63,

Have you thought of maybe starting your own business? I would bet there are many college students out there who can not write and would pay to have their term papers edited. You could also take this idea further by starting writing classes and maybe tutoring.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio