Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2009, 12:36 PM

4 posts, read 8,111 times

Advertisements

I am new to san antonio, and have found a home that I am currently renting. I have been late in my rent 2(twice). I have a lease for 1yr. although my landlord changed address that my payment is to go to, other than, that stated in contract. I have on numerous accasions been trying to get in contact with her (with no response) I have recieved via e-mail when i get a chance to get on the internet threats of eviction. I have told my landlord i have no way of checking e-mails on a dayly or even montly bases. To please contact me or leave a number where i may reach them. No response. as well I don't have address wher i may reach them as they have changed addresses to a po box. again I have recieved another notice by them today. and have no way of informing them of my concerns or way of contacting them of emergencies that have arised. Please help
-MC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 12:43 PM

179 posts, read 468,814 times
I am no back yard lawyer, but if the problem is that thier address keeps moving then I would keep the returned envelopes with your check. To evict you they need to go thru a long legal process. You can go to court and easily show that you have tried to pay (by showing your envelopes with the dated return stamp) and that should drop the eviction. I would have teh money to pay all catch up rent available. Also, i highly recommend that you look for a new place to move when your lease is up. I surely would not want these people to be my tenant!

Old 08-19-2009, 01:50 PM

are e-mails considered as legal correspondence in court. they always e-mails us knowing we don't have accesss to retrieve there e-mails. and she does't reply when we do have access? How do we show the court this? we have repeatedly asked them to contact us via e-mails and messages on there machine with no results. how is this possible. I am I the one who will lose,cause they will eventually evict.
-help

Old 08-19-2009, 02:03 PM

304 posts, read 1,326,556 times
If you are not paying your rent, it really doesn't matter if the landlord is available to talk to you and listen to why you aren't paying your rent and all late fees. You are breaking the law (stealing). It is unfortunate that individuals such as yourself have hardships in their lives, but why is that the landlords responsibility? You did not make it clear that what has happenned is that your payments are coming back as one poster suggested, is this the case? If the landlord changes his address a few times but the mail is getting to him, why do you have an issue? The landlord probably changed his address to a po box because he does not want people bothering him at his home or business. If you choose to talk on the phone with, instead of communicate by email (seems to be the way the landlord would prefer), then you need to give the landlord your phone number and specific time to call you, or ask him in your message what time is best for him. That is the tactic to avoid playing phone tag. Be advised, if you don't want to be evicted, you do need to be prepared to come up with all rent and late fees.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:44 PM

I never stated I haven't payed rent. (I am no theif thank you) What is happening is that they changed address to what my contract states the rent is to be payed to. I recieved this via e-mail and the date was the 1st I hadn't checked e-mail like I stated (no internet) so check was always late, did'nt know what address to sent to. as well they leaves no contact #. I have emergencies that need addressing, not complaints. I beleive I have rights to allow me an emergency contact # or am I totally off base. Please don't assume renters are just full of accuses, some have ligitimate emergencies.I have given them my home # as well as cell,but with no response. Question is e-mail a legal way of response from landlord. Can someone please give me some real advise.
-Bless you

Old 08-19-2009, 03:43 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,889,611 times
E-mail is not legal notification at this point. Everyone has US Postal Service. Not everyone has E-mail...yet.
You need to keep proof of returned mail from the legal address listed in your lease. I suspect the LL wants his house back. When you get served eviction, make sure you show up at the JP court with the returned mail. Also have a cashier's check or money order with you that is the amount of rent owed. Not late fees. Be ready to give it to the judge and explain as you have here the changes and lack of ability to find the LL. You should be OK with that. it's the LL's duty to keep you informed of his address (post office box is Ok) and a telephone number for emergencies. Eviction is through Jp court and you do not need a lawyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio