Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 06:48 PM

434 posts, read 1,123,648 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately I find myself in need of a personal injury attorney. Of course I see the commercials on all the time for the "hammer", can't stand the sound of him for starters. Wayne Wright is another and looks to be a step up. Marynell Maloney appears smooth and high end. It is not going to be a huge case by any means...walking down a sidewalk, the sidewalk was cracked and raised up,and down I went and broke my foot. Sighhhh.....

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 07:14 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,207,973 times
why do you need an attorney?

Old 09-02-2009, 07:39 PM

I would like to recover my medical expenses that my insurance is not picking up and also the tremendous inconvience due to the fact that I had to go out of network for an orthopedic dr. We are retired from NY and are on a fixed income. Every little bit helps. I was told that the city of San Antonio is not responsible for sidewalks in front of your home, the homeowner is. Where I fell is between two homes so I can't determine which house would be responsible. I don't want a confrontation, hence the request for an attorney. Isn't that the way it works, or is there a simpler way to resolve the issue?

Old 09-02-2009, 08:01 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
I don't have a rec for you, but I sure feel for anyone with a broken foot. I can't even imagine the pain. Hope you're able to resolve the situation.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:44 PM

Thank you Sapphire. Yes it is quite painful, but I think the worst part is that there are so many things we take for granted that we do with our feet beside walking that suddenly become a challenge. Oh well, this to will pass.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:48 PM

Location: 281 north of 1604 - otherwise known as traffic hell
450 posts, read 1,599,075 times
premises liability cases are hard to win in Texas. Not saying that you won't but it won't be cut and dry. Also, bear in mind, most homeowners insurance policies require the homeowner to fork out 2-4% of their home's value out of their own pocket before kicking in - not sure how bad you were hurt or how nice of a neighborhood you live in, but this may pose some troubles in your attempt at recovery.

That being said - I can give you the name and number of a guy at Wayne Wright that I went to school with that I trust. Or the name of a solo personal injury lawyer that I trust even more.

Check your DMs.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:03 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,775,577 times
Shoot, I had to take a recorded statement of a woman who had fallen and injured herself; a case fairly similar to yours. It was in the law offices of some guys right off 410 near Bandera and.... oh I dunno, can't remember, but you can see their building and their sign right from the freeway....
A small yellowish stucco kinda building....
It's a short bit past or before Marie Callendars' as you head east....

The attorney that attended the recorded statement was pretty vigilant and protective of his client.
Their name sign is clearly visible from the road... Three names, two of them the same I think....

Anyway.... I was only handling the investigation and not the whole claim cradle to grave so I don't know what the outcome was. I found some pretty good stuff on this woman, but like I said, I wasn't privvy to the full outcome.

This firm is considered ehh, so so, due to their 'sometimes ambulance chasing', but I found them to be fair and square and cooperative (from my perscpective, mind you).

bear in mind I came from the other side of the table ....
give them a call though... they can probably get you some medical care if nothing else.....

Old 09-02-2009, 09:24 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,775,577 times
stouwie and mayo....
right off I-410....
I finally remembered it....

sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet, but honestly, they weren't that bad....
they'll PROBABLY be able to get you taken care of and remember....
you don't ever have to agree to anything that feels unethical to you... they seemed decent and honest.....

a lot of smaller firms try to advertise with that 'hammer' effect, because so many people think they need that, but...
I'd guess about 80-90% or more are honest and above board... they won't make you feel like you're doing something illegal or that smells bad.....

Old 09-02-2009, 09:28 PM

Thank you so much to everyone! This forum continues to be a wealth of information!

Old 09-02-2009, 09:33 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,791,891 times
Why would the homeowner be responsible? The sidewalk is on the city's easement. The homeowner doesn't even own the land the sidewalk is on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio