Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 07:19 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,541,865 times

Advertisements

Has anyone seen it? I was thinking of taking my kids to it but not sure if it would be age appropriate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 07:20 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,328,643 times
I have not seen it but heard great things about it. My understanding is that it basically looks like 3D pictures from an anatomy book. I've heard that it's dignified, not grotesque and that the bodies look like plastic.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:57 AM

260 posts, read 1,136,026 times
It is a wonderful exhibit - I recommend it. Our kids are 4 & 5 and did fine, the 5 yr old is the only one who grasped the concept that these were "real" bodies, and wasn't very bothered by it. The two issues that parents should be ready for are questions about death (how did they die? what happens after you die?) and questions about anatomy (the bodies don't have clothes on, obviously, and there are some non-avoidable anatomy lessons).

Old 02-19-2008, 08:57 AM

199 posts, read 707,731 times
I am going to see it next week w/ a friend. I would probably be okay w/ taking my 7 y.o., but not my 4 y.o. I think it depends on how squeamish your kids are.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:13 AM

732 posts, read 3,553,110 times
I'm not sure if it was this one I saw (or a similar one) in Seattle, but it was pretty interesting. I think little ones will take their cues from Mom and Dad - if you aren't squeamish, they likely won't be either.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:23 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
Am I the only one who saw the 20/20 episode the other day that showed that these exhibits are using bodies of Chinese prisoners who were put to death as a part of their incarceration?

I am taking nursing and found it pretty graphic. These shows are in the process of coming under fire for using dubious sources for their bodies.

My daughter is 10 years old and its not something I would take her to see.

abc11.com: Inventor of `Body Worlds' exhibit says he's stopped using bodies from China 2/16/08 (http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/entertainment&id=5961896 - broken link)

They showed one body of a woman who died while she was pregnant, it showed part of her uterus cut away to show the fetus.

I'm not a religious person, I consider myself atheist and even I think a persons dead body deserves more respect then to be put on show like that.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:26 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,710,202 times
If you're an atheist, why should it matter? Just a friendly jab.

Thanks for the info about them being Chinese prisoners. I did not know that! My folks saw it and they thought it was an amazing thing.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:35 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
If you're an atheist, why should it matter? Just a friendly jab.

Thanks for the info about them being Chinese prisoners. I did not know that! My folks saw it and they thought it was an amazing thing.
I don't know, maybe its a hangover from my days as an religious person but I don't a person's body should be treated that way. I felt that way when a priest approached me with an aborted fetus set in lucite as well.

It just seems disrespectful to me.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:55 PM

260 posts, read 1,136,026 times
I don't know if you've noticed, but 20/20 is a BIT sensational in it's presentation of stories. The company who presents this exhibit says "All the bodies in the Universe Within exhibition have been donated by medical facilities and schools for the purpose of promoting medical and scientific knowledge. All of the anatomical specimens in the exhibit Our Body the Universe Within have been ethically and legally obtained, consistent with the Laws of China and the United States." It is true that in China the family does not need to give consent in order for the government to dispose of or use the body for medical or scientific purposes. But the bodies were examined by forensic pathologists and no evidence of trauma was found.

I understand the uneasiness about dignity for the dead. All I can say is that there is an air of almost reverence inside the exhibit. Nothing is presented in a shocking or exploitative way - it's educational and enlightening, not freakish and sideshow-ish.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:41 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,541,865 times
Thank you everyone for the information. I am not squeamish at all (except oddly, about eye stuff) and I am not too worried about my kids-I did wonder about the anatomy questions that would come up (girl parts vs. boy parts) so I am glad someone addressed that.
I don't feel that an exhibit like this would be demeaning at all, in fact I feel honored that people would donate their bodies for education. I didn't hear about the 20/20 episode but I guess if you are dead, you probably won't be embarrassed anyway? (At least I hope it works that way)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio