Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 08:12 AM

1 posts, read 8,597 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,
I live in San Antonio (been here for 1 year) and I was wondering if anyone knew of any places in the area or the outlining areas (Bandera, Boerne, etc) that give horseback riding lessons to people that have NO experience riding.

Also, what are some examples of prices for something like this?

Thanks for any leads!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 12:05 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,209,594 times
I would try The Lightning Ranch. I don't know if they do anything like that but she would probably be able to give you some ideas. The lady that runs this place is very nice and helpful:

Lightning Ranch - Pipe Creek, Texas

Old 09-02-2008, 03:37 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,713,148 times
Thank you, that was informative. I'm gonna get some lessons under my belt when the weather cools down.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:10 PM

67 posts, read 275,044 times
What type of riding lessons do you want? English or Western? What side of town are you on. I'm involved in the horse community here & can connect you with someone. Lessons average around $40/hour for a quality private lesson.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:09 AM

Who, me?

I'm not sure. Can you give me some advice? I'm buying some acreage soon and would like to own at least one horse that I can use for trail riding once in a while. I'd like to also break my own horse, if possible. Is that something they teach? What's difference between English and Western?

Old 09-03-2008, 08:25 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,209,594 times
Nick,
I would think you are probably looking at western riding. Here is a link describing the difference in the two:
Horseback Riding Styles - Differences Between Western and English Riding Styles

If you haven't spent a whole lot of time around horses, it would be best to NOT break your horse yourself. Buy one that is already broke. It takes lots of hours, everyday to break a horse.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:46 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
Nick,
I would think you are probably looking at western riding. Here is a link describing the difference in the two:

If you haven't spent a whole lot of time around horses, it would be best to NOT break your horse yourself. Buy one that is already broke. It takes lots of hours, everyday to break a horse.
I totally agree with TTG! I learned English saddle as a young girl before I moved to Texas. When I got here, English lessons were hard to find. Obviously that has has changed a lot over the eons that's I've been here. However, if you want a horse for your property I agree Western would be the way to go. Chances are you'll end up purchasing a horse that has also been trained to carry "Western" riders. If you get on a ranch horse that is not familiar with "English" riding style, they won't "get it". Trust me ....my back side and thighs know first hand!

Last edited by wCat; 09-03-2008 at 09:28 AM..

Old 09-03-2008, 09:09 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,605,869 times
If you are Military or retired Fort Sam do lessons and also a trail which is $20 for an hour not sure how much the lessons are.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
Nick,

Thank you for the advice...

Old 10-07-2012, 09:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,205 times
Default Horseback Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrads View Post
What type of riding lessons do you want? English or Western? What side of town are you on. I'm involved in the horse community here & can connect you with someone. Lessons average around $40/hour for a quality private lesson.
Hi,

Saw your post about horseback riding. I would like to find someone who can give me personal lessons not only for riding, but the entire horse experience .... saddling, putting on bridle, etc. Any suggestions?
thanks.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-09-2012 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: repaired quote tags
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio