Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2007, 01:44 PM

154 posts, read 631,135 times

Advertisements

Hubby and I are still looking at a move to SA, though the timetable is now probably summer.

I'm a great junk-shop haunter, and have picked up some fabulous pieces of furniture, etc for next to nothing. I can afford expensive stuff, but it's more fun to find it! I'm one of those people who's not above getting out of the car to check out what's thrown out on the curb. ;-) I know all the good shops here in Charleston, but where are the good ones in SA?

I don't mean the "antique" ones where everything is all cleaned up and displayed prettily (and priced for that). I mean the ones where the place is packed to the gills, and you're digging around in the corners and peeking behind the headboards and the dust for that "find" of a cool chair that needs a little love, or a funky vase.

I'm a midcentury modern fan, and I know that Houston has tons of shops dedicated to that era, but my BEST finds have been in plain old crappy junk shops (like my vintage Case Study daybed that I nabbed for $35!)

So, any junkers on the forum know where the good spots/stores/flea markets are?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 04:02 PM

546 posts, read 3,105,528 times
Case Study daybed for 35? Is it an original George Nelson? Either way, that rocks! Now, as for finding good, and cheap, MCM "junk" in San Antonio, whew, that's tough...On the upside, San Antonio ain't hip to MCM yet, so if you find it at some crappy ol' junk shop, it's gonna be cheap, unlike say, Houston, where they've already been on the modern bandwagon for quite a while now...now, on the downside, and here's the rub: I can never seem to find anything MCM here! When I've rarely stumbled across anything even remotely MCMish, it's almost ALWAYS been at an estate sale, and thus, marked up really high - MCM or not. As far as flea markets, thrift stores, etc., I always seem to come up empty-handed these days, lots of beat-up women's shoes and early puke-green 80's sofas (and, of course, the obligatory stack of worn-out Herb Alpert records). Granted, I actually found some cool stuff back in the heyday of junking, BEFORE eBay came along and ruined everything, but in the last few years it's been primarily junk, and NOT "cool junk." Unfortunately though, back then (like late 80's, early 90's), I had no idea what "MCM," or "Eames" was, and was basically just looking for weird old lamps and obscure rockabilly and loungey LP's, and I probably missed out on some primo furniture finds.

Now there are a lot of junk shops around here, that's for sure, but mostly like dollar-store related type bores. Um, the Goodwill in King William sometimes has a few cool things though. Not so much mid-century stuff though, think Brady Bunch.

Bussey's Flea Market has always been a favorite, but they're generally overpriced and picked-over these days too. I found a cool Tiki Bar though years ago there, it was huge, too big for me to haul off, but I often wish I had bought that sucker in retrospect.

Sorry I couldn't be more help to ya, but I'm pretty convinced the days of really cool thrifty finds are pretty much over, much to my chagrin...best bet I guess would just be hitting those estate sales, especially the ones in ritzy older neighborhoods (Olmos Park, Oak Hills, Terrell Hills, etc.), where some cutting-edge types in the 50's may have actually bought Eames, Miller, etc., you MAY be able to bargain them down on the last day/hours of the sale if you find anything you dig, especially if the family runs the sale. I haven't witnessed a treasure trove booty of MCM at one yet, but then again, I'm not a morning person, and tend to just sleep through most of the estate sales these days.

Good luck, and happy hunting. Hope this wasn't too much of a downer!

Oh yeah, if you dig on mid-century, but hate the pricetag, I recommend 2bmod.com, they have cool, relatively inexpensive (compared to the real thing) reproduction stuff.

Old 01-18-2007, 04:10 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,442,886 times
try some of the Junk/antique shops along upper austin highway....from eisenhauer north there are a couple that come to mind.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:25 AM

Thanks for the lengthy reply, googie! No, the case study bed is not an Eames (I wish!), but it is period, with the cool angled back cushions and maple frame, etc. Yeah, pickings are slim since the advent of ebay. I've also had good luck with estate sales that were just people selling off their parents junk themselves.

I bought a HUGE (8-feet long) danish modern sideboard on legs with a glass top, 2 smaller teak side pieces, a ladies long low vanity dresser (the middle part top lifts up to reveal a jewelry area with sliding drawers inside), a matching man's vanity, and a signed orange and black Klaus Daeniker abstract (Swiss artist). The furniture is all solid oiled teak, stamped "Denmark", and all for $400. The lady had inherited her parents ranch house and was remodeling - had contracters coming to knock walls and lay floors, so wanted her parents "weird old stuff" OUT of the house.

If you have the Atomic Ranch book, the sideboard on page 97 is nearly a twin of mine - except my base is a good 2 feet longer. I love the named design furniture - Eames, Bertoia chairs, Saarinen, etc, but am not averse to mixing in no-name period stuff or knockoffs or a smattering of Ikea.

The junk shops here, I've found I have to go in and check often, about weekly - because the good stuff goes quick. I'll check on the site you posted for some good knockoffs. :-)

smuboy, thanks for the tip. I think I'll have fun poking around once I get there.

Old 01-19-2007, 03:09 PM

546 posts, read 3,105,528 times
"weird old stuff" - ha, classic!

Old 01-21-2007, 10:56 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,371,909 times
Keep an eye on the auctions at Vogt Auction house on Broadway. Held every Tuesday. They get containers with Skandinavian and Dutch items on a fairly regular basis. It's hit and miss, but ask them and they usually know in advance when they'll be having that kind of auction. I like things a bit more traditional and "common", but my son goes nuts when he sees some of their stuff.

Also....this is not high doller auction furniture. The do have some VERY nice things generally, but the selling prices are fairly reasonable. The beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Old 01-22-2007, 01:18 PM

Thanks wCat - taking notes, here!

Old 03-19-2007, 02:30 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,298,540 times
I honestly don't know if they'd have what you're looking for, but Furniture For a Cause (on Blanco I think?) has a LOT of stuff and it's all for charity. Everything is second hand, and they had a wide range of styles the last time I was in. We bought a sofa loveseat there with a premium mattress for $75 last year. Might be worth a look.

Otherwise, I find the best things at little hidden thrifts, church thrifts, etc.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:26 PM

121 posts, read 437,997 times
Why not go for new stuff? You can get it at reasonable prices. Here's a Hoffman, Mies Van Der Rohe and Eileen Grey setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Any great "Junk" and used furniture stores in SA?-furniture.jpg  

Old 03-19-2007, 04:06 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,371,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m95roadster View Post
Why not go for new stuff? You can get it at reasonable prices. Here's a Hoffman, Mies Van Der Rohe and Eileen Grey setup.
Roadster....is that for sale in SA? I love that Barcelona chair....it's a classic....but I haven't found any for reasonable prices. Where did you find this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio