Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 12:06 PM

62 posts, read 143,623 times

Advertisements

Some TV ratings from this past week's Cowboys playoff game:

Eagles-Cowboys - Top 10 Markets:
1. Dallas, 44.3
T2. Philadelphia, 33.7
T2. San Antonio, 33.7
4. New Orleans, 31.8
5. Austin, 29.3
6. Norfolk, 28.6
7. Las Vegas, 26.4
8. San Diego, 25.5
9. Albuquerque, 24.9
10. Richmond, 24.6
Jets-Bengals - Top 10 Markets:
1. Cincinnati, 45.0
2. Dayton, 31.7
3. New Orleans, 25.7
4. Columbus, 23.4
5. Baltimore, 22.1
6. Las Vegas, 21.7
7. Indianapolis, 21.1
8. Ft. Myers, 20.9
T9. San Diego, 20.8
T9. New York, 20.8

The Cowboys pull the same ratings in San Antonio as the Eagles do in Philadelphia - a 33.7 is ASTONISHING (especially if you know Eagles fans), and San Antonio is easily the #2 market for the Cowboys. Given that SA did not even break 20.0 in the preceeding Jets-Bengals match-up, this leads me to assume two things:

1). San Antonio has a deep, passionate following for the Cowboys that goes back for generations and extends to no other sports team, certainly no other NFL team. This is not a case of easily-influenced people reacting to the local minor-league sportscaster covering the games or the E/N columns; nearly 1/3 of all TVs in San Antonio had this game on. Given the low ratings for the other game, San Antonio is unquestionably a Cowboys town, not a "football" town as some suggest.

2.) Behind all the winking and nice-talk, you wonder how accomodating Jerry Jones would be to a prospective NFL franchise in San Antonio. Granted, all you need is an owner who wants to move a team and a venue to host it, but as neither currently exist (sorry Alamodome), I have to think that Jerry would rather not see such an impressive hunk of TV and merchandise sales leave.... and probably lobby accordingly. He is the biggest voice (and mouth) in the NFL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 12:30 PM

399 posts, read 1,139,584 times
So we can compare ourselves to Dayton, OH now. Lovely. Personally, I'd rather be Cincinnati than Dayton. I bet Jerry eats this stuff up! We need our own team, not someone else's.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:24 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
This is why I don't think SA would work as an NFL expansion market, unless they started winning right away, and even then it would take time. Once the Cowboys come to town it'll amount to a ninth home game for them.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:27 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Can somebody tell me when the SA media is going to take a break from talking about the Cowboys?
They make the Spurs look as a team from El Paso (1st Cowboys, then maybe the SA Spurs)

H... s..., they lost, they are out, and they are already talking about the new cowboys coach and next season.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:29 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
They just extended Wade Phillips' contract so that gives a little while for the Texans to bring another Lombardi Trophy to the state before the Cowboys.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:14 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,670,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Can somebody tell me when the SA media is going to take a break from talking about the Cowboys?
They make the Spurs look as a team from El Paso (1st Cowboys, then maybe the SA Spurs)

H... s..., they lost, they are out, and they are already talking about the new cowboys coach and next season.
Next year's Super Bowl will be played at the new Cowboy Stadium. I guess the Cowboys won't have home field advantage.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:14 PM

898 posts, read 2,896,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
really?

I liked the Texans just "okay" when I was in Houston. Growing up being an Oilers fan, it was hard to get used to them as our team. However, since moving to San Antonio, both hubby and I have become fervent Texans fans just because of this sentiment among people here. GAG me with all the Cowboys talk on the radio and elsewhere. I hate Jerry Jones with a passion...I just didn't realize how much!
I'm sick of having to see jerry jones face every 10 minutes while watching a cowboys game

Old 01-23-2010, 01:46 AM

927 posts, read 1,390,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLumbergh View Post
Some TV ratings from this past week's Cowboys playoff game:

Eagles-Cowboys - Top 10 Markets:
1. Dallas, 44.3
T2. Philadelphia, 33.7
T2. San Antonio, 33.7
4. New Orleans, 31.8
5. Austin, 29.3
6. Norfolk, 28.6
7. Las Vegas, 26.4
8. San Diego, 25.5
9. Albuquerque, 24.9
10. Richmond, 24.6
Jets-Bengals - Top 10 Markets:
1. Cincinnati, 45.0
2. Dayton, 31.7
3. New Orleans, 25.7
4. Columbus, 23.4
5. Baltimore, 22.1
6. Las Vegas, 21.7
7. Indianapolis, 21.1
8. Ft. Myers, 20.9
T9. San Diego, 20.8
T9. New York, 20.8

The Cowboys pull the same ratings in San Antonio as the Eagles do in Philadelphia - a 33.7 is ASTONISHING (especially if you know Eagles fans), and San Antonio is easily the #2 market for the Cowboys. Given that SA did not even break 20.0 in the preceeding Jets-Bengals match-up, this leads me to assume two things:

1). San Antonio has a deep, passionate following for the Cowboys that goes back for generations and extends to no other sports team, certainly no other NFL team. This is not a case of easily-influenced people reacting to the local minor-league sportscaster covering the games or the E/N columns; nearly 1/3 of all TVs in San Antonio had this game on. Given the low ratings for the other game, San Antonio is unquestionably a Cowboys town, not a "football" town as some suggest.

2.) Behind all the winking and nice-talk, you wonder how accomodating Jerry Jones would be to a prospective NFL franchise in San Antonio. Granted, all you need is an owner who wants to move a team and a venue to host it, but as neither currently exist (sorry Alamodome), I have to think that Jerry would rather not see such an impressive hunk of TV and merchandise sales leave.... and probably lobby accordingly. He is the biggest voice (and mouth) in the NFL.
You make it sound like every football fan in San Antonio is predisposed at birth to become Cowboy fans. That simply isn't true. If any other team, any team, would have been exposed to the San Antonio media market over the years as much as Dallas has, local fans would certainly be devoted to that hypothetical team. But because it's been the Dallas Cowboys all of these years who have gotten the exposure then that's who people tend to follow locally. Through no fault of their own. They've simply been brainwashed by the Dallas Cowboy media complex over time if you will.

I would argue that if San Antonio fans had had their own franchise to support since 1960, and if that franchise were to have received all of the exposure locally that the Dallas Cowboys have received all this time, then it would have been that team that would have captured the hearts and souls of local fans. Simply put it isn't that San Antonians are generationally predetermined to be Dallas fans, it's that they've had no other choice. Houston teams not withstanding.

Alas, the future is bright for San Antonio football fans nevertheless. At least those that have not been hypnotized into being Dallas Cowboy fans. San Antonio is a rapidly growing, up and coming city with devoted, albeit mislead football fans and has an excellent chance of getting its own franchise in the not too distant future imo.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:34 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,806,421 times
I wonder what percentage of people do not care about pro sports?

Old 01-23-2010, 09:59 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
I wonder what percentage of people do not care about pro sports?
You make it sound as if football was the only pro sport.
Have you ever heard of the Spurs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio