Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2008, 12:57 AM

12 posts, read 59,040 times

Advertisements

Looking for any advice -my family is racially mixed, I am black and wife is white and we have 2 young girls. We are looking to move to Temecula, I am wondering how accepting is Temecula to mixed families and diversity. Seattle on the surface is a great location for acceptance but I guess due to the weather here the surface nice is all you will get. I have read so much about the prop 8 thing and the attacks the churches have gotten, I have read that Temecula and the IE is SoCal's bible belt and ran by alot of Mormons. Is that true? if so that kind of scares me! We are not tree hugging hippies and organic farmers, actually quite opposite. But I did vote for Obama, and tend to not be very religious. We are pretty much just a normal middle class fam, looking for sun and a great community and we hope Temecula is it. Could anyone out there inform me?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 04:29 PM

214 posts, read 1,084,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seansan View Post
Looking for any advice -my family is racially mixed, I am black and wife is white and we have 2 young girls. We are looking to move to Temecula, I am wondering how accepting is Temecula to mixed families and diversity. Seattle on the surface is a great location for acceptance but I guess due to the weather here the surface nice is all you will get. I have read so much about the prop 8 thing and the attacks the churches have gotten, I have read that Temecula and the IE is SoCal's bible belt and ran by alot of Mormons. Is that true? if so that kind of scares me! We are not tree hugging hippies and organic farmers, actually quite opposite. But I did vote for Obama, and tend to not be very religious. We are pretty much just a normal middle class fam, looking for sun and a great community and we hope Temecula is it. Could anyone out there inform me?

Thanks
I am mixed and have only dated interacially. You will find no problems out here. The area has gotten VERY diverse (I've seen a large percentage of Asian and Indian (Southeast Asian) families, especially in the newer neighborhoods). The people are very friendly and accepting. There was a large mormon population when I was in High School but most of the mormon families I've known have moved (Utah mainly).

We both know the most important thing for *us* is finding a local barber and that was my main concern moving out here. Thankfully there are a few great options (and you can pick up all your Obama gear there too, btw! lol)

Old 12-07-2008, 09:24 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,584,675 times
This town is lovely, and I guess I just don't even notice "interracial" relationships and children because it is just so common. My kids are so "color blind" that when I was asking about one of their friend's last names (it had an interesting Greek ring to it....my hubby speaks Greek....curiosity....) she was telling me that she didn't know where she got her last name, but that her hair was very curly. When I met this friend later at her birthday party, it turns out she is 1/4 Greek and 3/4 black, and I just felt so blessed that it never occurred to my daughter (who is half hispanic herself) to even mention the color of her friend's skin in any way. I love it!!! I totally know what you mean about Seattle having the "idea" of acceptance, but that the reality is quite different. I think you'll enjoy Temecula. Good luck!

Old 12-25-2008, 06:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,923 times
Hello we are an interracial family and we live in temecula. I have never ever had a problem I see it all the time.I have children also and have never had a problem. You will love it out here. good luck

Old 12-29-2008, 10:31 AM

9 posts, read 19,443 times
You will be just fine!!! I am biracial myself, married to an African American with 2 children. Temecula is a beautiful place to live, with such a diverse culture. You will see that everywhere around here is pretty diverse so you dont have to worry about the looks or slurs you may get else where.. everyone is pretty friendly for the most part!!

Welcome to the Inland Empire!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties