Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 01:58 PM

418 posts, read 1,312,789 times

Advertisements

I moved from Texas to San Marcos 6 weeks ago now, and find that I am embarrassed that I don't speak the local language. Nearly every single store, restaurant, etc seems to have nothing but Hispanics working there. (I really wonder where the "white" kids work?) Unless they are speaking to me, it seems everyone around here speaks Spanish. I actually feel like I am being rude by not speaking their language. I know some of you are thinking that we are in America and they should be speaking English, not me Spanish. But politically right or wrong is not my point. I just feel ashamed that I never wanted to take the time to learn Spanish. I would truly like to speak to them and understand what they are saying when I seem to interrupt them from their Spanish conversations.

Seriously, has anyone here every bought or tried one of those CDs you buy to learn a language? I am sure it wouldn't cost much to begin learning. Are they worth it? Anyone have any suggestions as to any of them being the best, least costly, or whatever? Or is there an easier cheaper way to do it?

I am the minority here where I live now and simply want to fit in better, feel more accepted, and enjoy my daily experiences with the locals more.

Any suggestions would be appreciated without any criticism or debate as to what is right, wrong, or politically correct.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:15 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,906,042 times
Just commenting on the lessons aspect:
my daughter takes language lessons via skype from tutors, its helped her quite a bit, its costlier than CDs, but its private one on one lessons for about $15-20 hour, you could always supplement that with cds. Good luck, regardless of the reasons why, it is always beneficial to learn more languages.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:56 PM

880 posts, read 1,800,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware_of_Dog View Post
I moved from Texas to San Marcos 6 weeks ago now, and find that I am embarrassed that I don't speak the local language. Nearly every single store, restaurant, etc seems to have nothing but Hispanics working there. (I really wonder where the "white" kids work?) Unless they are speaking to me, it seems everyone around here speaks Spanish. I actually feel like I am being rude by not speaking their language. I know some of you are thinking that we are in America and they should be speaking English, not me Spanish. But politically right or wrong is not my point. I just feel ashamed that I never wanted to take the time to learn Spanish. I would truly like to speak to them and understand what they are saying when I seem to interrupt them from their Spanish conversations.

Seriously, has anyone here every bought or tried one of those CDs you buy to learn a language? I am sure it wouldn't cost much to begin learning. Are they worth it? Anyone have any suggestions as to any of them being the best, least costly, or whatever? Or is there an easier cheaper way to do it?

I am the minority here where I live now and simply want to fit in better, feel more accepted, and enjoy my daily experiences with the locals more.

Any suggestions would be appreciated without any criticism or debate as to what is right, wrong, or politically correct.

Ashamed? You don't want to inconvenience them with your English? Good god!

Old 06-12-2011, 03:02 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,340,863 times
in addition to the above, I have had people recommend watching the Spanish speaking soap operas. I too would love to learn more Spanish, but realistically I do not think I could learn it to the level I need to in order to be considered a bilingual professional-the jobs I see want someone who speaks fluently with a college level Spanish vocabulary. I took 3 years in HS and 2 semesters in college, and I still have a hard time! I try and practice with Spanish speaking folks at stores, but it must be bad because they speak back to me in English.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:25 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,022,530 times
If you want to learn Spanish, I think this is a good program on PBS that you can watch via streaming video for free: Resource: Destinos: An Introduction to Spanish
Find a good bilingual dictionary with phrase entries, leave your radio on Spanish stations, and use English to French, Italian, German & Spanish Dictionary - WordReference.com if you have any questions.
Do all that and you'll be way ahead of the game.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:28 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,584,849 times
Has nothing to do with politics. They are actually doing themselves a disservice by not learning to speak English fluently. It's the language of the world, and those who don't know it will be left in the dust.

I recently read that by the year 2020 China will be the largest English speaking nation on earth. There has to be a reason a billion and a half people feel it's an important language to learn.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:47 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,278,783 times
Rosetta Stone.

Just keep going to the same places that you feel they are speaking Spanish exclusively. You are still fairly new in the area and AFAIK, some of the places you may be going might have regulars. Even learning little by little with common courtesy "nuggets" in said language will go a long way.

After all you are a local now, let it be known

Old 06-12-2011, 04:56 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,226,530 times
Language Learning with Livemocha | Learn a Language Online - Free!

You'll have to sign up, it's free. Basically a sight for people around the world learning new languages to connect to each other. Lessons are offered and are peer reviewed. I'll just reiterate, IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2011, 05:07 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware_of_Dog View Post

Ashamed? Really? I want to learn it to but I sure as #@$ am not ashamed that they don't know English. BTW to be here legally in almost all circumstances knowing English is a prereq. I hope you aren't hiring them as then you to are part of the problem.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:40 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times
If anyone should be "ashamed" it is people who don't learn the native of language of the country they're in.

OP you didn't move from Texas to France did you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego