Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 08:24 AM

371 posts, read 637,283 times

Advertisements

I live in a small studio. Recently I got a new neighbor who is apparently a chain smoker. I know that smoke and odors from one apartment near mine always end up in my bathroom, and it's apparently the same with the apartment just below mine (until now the tenants there have always been nonsmokers, so I didn't know). Anytime this person is home, my bathroom fills with smoke, and it gets worse when the window is closed, so I know it's coming through the walls/around pipes/etc.

Trying to get apartment managers to do anything about things like smoke, paint fumes, etc. oozing into my apartment in the past (in other buildings, and in this one when we had a different management company) have led nowhere. Does anyone know if there's a law that says they have to prevent smoke from coming in, or that they have to mitigate it somehow?

Again, this is smoke coming in from around pipes, etc. (it gets into the walls in the smoker's apt and drifts until it finds a place to exit the wall), so just closing the window isn't going to help. Experience has shown that if I block off every pipe, outlet, etc., the smoke finds another place to drift in, so something has to be done in the smoker's apt to prevent the smoke from getting into mine, or the smoker has to stop (which they probably won't want to do).

Any advice? I know my moving out of here is best, but in the meantime, what can I do? Thanks.

Edit: I have mild asthma. None of this is meant to start an argument about smoking-good-or-bad. This is purely because I can't really be around the stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 07:36 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,769 times
many places do not allow smoking anywhere in or near the building including on balconies. Since yours might not be one of them, maybe you can legally break your lease (and move to a smoke free building) with a doctors note indicating you cannot be exposed to second hand smoke. Maybe the health dept or a tenants rights organization can provide some info.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:58 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,579,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehjeh View Post
I live in a small studio. Recently I got a new neighbor who is apparently a chain smoker. I know that smoke and odors from one apartment near mine always end up in my bathroom, and it's apparently the same with the apartment just below mine (until now the tenants there have always been nonsmokers, so I didn't know). Anytime this person is home, my bathroom fills with smoke, and it gets worse when the window is closed, so I know it's coming through the walls/around pipes/etc.

Trying to get apartment managers to do anything about things like smoke, paint fumes, etc. oozing into my apartment in the past (in other buildings, and in this one when we had a different management company) have led nowhere. Does anyone know if there's a law that says they have to prevent smoke from coming in, or that they have to mitigate it somehow?

Again, this is smoke coming in from around pipes, etc. (it gets into the walls in the smoker's apt and drifts until it finds a place to exit the wall), so just closing the window isn't going to help. Experience has shown that if I block off every pipe, outlet, etc., the smoke finds another place to drift in, so something has to be done in the smoker's apt to prevent the smoke from getting into mine, or the smoker has to stop (which they probably won't want to do).

Any advice? I know my moving out of here is best, but in the meantime, what can I do? Thanks.

Edit: I have mild asthma. None of this is meant to start an argument about smoking-good-or-bad. This is purely because I can't really be around the stuff.

Management........forget it........they will not be of any help.

I live in a building where I am one of the few nonsmokers..............and I hate smoking and the smell of others filthy habit.

You will not be able to totally eliminate the smell............but..........you can make it much more bearable.

Get a cheap Caulk gun and some good, clear silicone caulk....many tubes.........seal up any and every place you think the smoke is coming from.

Get a couple of powerful air cleaner that have a prefilter and ionizer. Do not get the fanless versions, they just do not move enough air. You can get pretty good ones at Walmart for about 35 bucks.......sometimes you can find them used for 5-10 bucks.

Get some plants, they will further clean the air.

Get incense and use them when a large burst of stink comes into your place, that is the only time I use them.

Get some of those plug-in, scented, oil warmers, they smell pretty (vanilla) good and do a darn good job of covering up that ashtray stink.

If the smell if coming mainly from one room, keep that room highly perfumed and keep the door closed as much as possible. Seal any places where stink can escape from that room.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:10 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,825,175 times
I second everything Tickyul suggested.
Plus, and this is probably a losing proposition, but you might ask the guy/gal if he/she would not smoke inside, since it is negatively affecting you - I know FAT Chance anything will come of it, but it won't hurt to ask - NICELY!

Old 08-23-2011, 11:12 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot to add one thing.

If things get bad and you are trying to relax, but cannot because of the odor/smoke, here is another suggestion. Buy those 3m paper face masks that cover your mouth and nose. Triple them up and wear them.........they really cut the stink down, stop the smoke from burning your sinuses.

I know it sounds crazy............wearing masks in your house................but I do it and it works.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:51 AM

371 posts, read 637,283 times
Thanks everyone. Yes, I think it's time to move, though it will have to wait a couple of months for financial reasons. By the time those are solved, my lease will be up anyway (of course, then I have to deal with my credit, which is healing but might still make things... interesting). I've been eyeing El Cajon because apparently the city bans smoking in all apt complexes? Found that on a county information page. I hope it's true.

I have those Lord Byron smoker's candles and keep the bathroom window open and the bathroom door closed. Occasionally I have to close the kitchen window, too; that I just do when needed.

Tickyul, interesting about the masks! I'll have to remember that one. I'm kind of leery about asking this person because the smoke is so constant they'd never be in their apartment if they smoked outside. I'll have to look into a plug-in air freshener -- usually don't like those things, but they'll be better than smoke for a couple of months.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehjeh View Post
Thanks everyone. Yes, I think it's time to move, though it will have to wait a couple of months for financial reasons. By the time those are solved, my lease will be up anyway (of course, then I have to deal with my credit, which is healing but might still make things... interesting). I've been eyeing El Cajon because apparently the city bans smoking in all apt complexes? Found that on a county information page. I hope it's true.

I have those Lord Byron smoker's candles and keep the bathroom window open and the bathroom door closed. Occasionally I have to close the kitchen window, too; that I just do when needed.

Tickyul, interesting about the masks! I'll have to remember that one. I'm kind of leery about asking this person because the smoke is so constant they'd never be in their apartment if they smoked outside. I'll have to look into a plug-in air freshener -- usually don't like those things, but they'll be better than smoke for a couple of months.
Ha, I lived in El Cajon for almost a year..........that law is worth about as much as the paper it is written on...............never enforced. As an aside..........El Cajon is full of bums and creeps looking to steal or mooch something..............looking to score dope or booze.

And don't waste your time trying to deal with Ciggies Addicts..............they are craven zombies...............nothing will slow down their filthy habit.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:41 AM

5 posts, read 60,585 times
I moved into a house and pay rent monthly. Basement apt has a chain some who is legally blind and the smoke comes up to my first floor. Have had headaches for days and am worried about my 14 year old. What filter do you recommend to remove the smoke and secondly, is there city org that can check my apt to seal any or all windows?

Old 10-02-2013, 08:52 AM

5 posts, read 60,585 times
I moved into a house and pay rent monthly. Basement apt has a chain some who is legally blind and the smoke comes up to my first floor. Have had headaches for days and am worried about my 14 year old. What filter do you recommend to remove the smoke and secondly, is there city org that can check my apt to seal any or all windows?

Old 10-02-2013, 10:25 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,231 times
The good thing is a lot of places ban smoking. The bad thing is if you live in a place that doesn't, you are pretty much stuck. Managers aren't going to do anything because there isnt' much to do. Some places just suck and you find out after the fact.

I lived in a place once where "nobody smokes here" was what was told to me before and while I lived in the apartment. The property manager was nice enough, but people below me smoked pot all day long, people around me were chain smokers, and it just made it a pain to spend any time at that place. The manager just said she was surprised people smoked. And then one day I saw her husband near the bus stop smoking. It was one of those WTF moments. I did try and speak to my neighbors about the smoke, but that didn't do anything except make them eyeball me at times. And then with places like this, the neighbors moved, another person moved in, and they smoked.

So the truth is, speak to your neighbors, but don't expect much. Do as others have said, but the truth is, when you are in these kinds of places, it's better to start looking for a better place to live. A place where smoking is banned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego