Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 07:02 PM

489 posts, read 1,956,232 times

Advertisements

Otay Ranch Town Center has been there a little over a year. I have not heard much feedback about it. What are your opinions on this mall, thumbs up or thumbs down? I think it is gorgeous but a little high end for the area. What do you think its future is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 08:05 PM

812 posts, read 4,081,936 times
I like it, it's just really far out of the way unless you live there, so I've only been there twice. I also think it's got a pretty charming feel to it... but...

The cynical part of me has to have to have a laugh at the styling, though, thinking that we've spent how long (since the 50's?) getting away from the central business district concept and toward a megamall style, and all of a sudden, the "downtown CBD" style is cool and trying to be emulated again... except this time, it's not a natural downtown, it's slapped up just the same as a megamall, just with a different facade at each store and a street running thru the middle vs a walkway. Add a few parking spots to make you feel downtown (oh, still surrounded by parking since the 5 spots within aren't really enough. Plus the floating pads in the lot.)

Like I said, I think it's pretty nice... but it's just silly in a way.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:35 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,112 times
Thumbs down big time!I don't get what they where thinking.Upscale in the SBay?Nah that doesn't work.None of my friends shop there because none of us can afford $150 dress shirts and jeans that cost around $190/200.It is very nice,easy to get to,but the stores just don't fit into the area.It's funny because there are plenty of stores closing down(prbly cause of low number of shoppers)but they are replacing them with the same type of upscale store!!!How [profanity] stupid is that?The mall lay out is pretty cool.I've been to malls like that in Ohio,LA,and Vegas.And the eateries aren't that bad,we can afford those.I really want to see what type of stores are going to be there say 2018.But thumbs down;way down.Now CV is home to 2 bad malls,CV Center and Town Center.I kind of think the CV Center is better than Town Center,that's pretty sad.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:09 PM

101 posts, read 329,698 times
Agree on the thumbs down. It's a very pretty mall, but the people that live close to that area aren't likely to buy from all those pricey stores. I do like the fact that barnes and noble and the apple store are closer to home, but other than that, eh.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:45 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,734,363 times
Since when is Macy's, REI and Barnes & Noble considered upscale? The stores they have there aren't any more exclusive than nearby Plaza Bonita in National City. PF Chang's and The Cheesecake Factory always seem to be busy. I'm sure when the AMC theaters open, this mall will be much more busy than it is today. Apparently, Nordstrom is waiting to see how the mall does in the first couple of years before considering a location there.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:29 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times
How far has the 125 opened south? That will REALLY affect the amount of people hitting that mall. I liked it but it seemed like a mall in Vegas, not in SD.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:44 PM

The 125 is now open from the 54 to the 905. You're right, it seems more like it belongs in Vegas, or maybe the Palm Springs/Rancho Mirage area, not SD, definitely not South Bay.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Since when is Macy's, REI and Barnes & Noble considered upscale? The stores they have there aren't any more exclusive than nearby Plaza Bonita in National City. PF Chang's and The Cheesecake Factory always seem to be busy. I'm sure when the AMC theaters open, this mall will be much more busy than it is today. Apparently, Nordstrom is waiting to see how the mall does in the first couple of years before considering a location there.
I think a JC Penney would do well there too. What I don't understand are the people from the Eastlake area who say they continue to go to Fashion Valley (maybe because of lack of department stores currently at Otay), but they say they will most likely continue to go to Fashion Valley even when Otay is complete. That doesn't make sense to me. Fashion is every bit as upscale and in fact has many of the same stores. Why drive 20 miles for the same stores. esp. with the price of gas?

Old 11-27-2007, 12:28 AM

936 posts, read 3,189,690 times
jokz, i live in eastlake woods, about 2 miles from the mall, and i must atest to anyone from eastlake who still chooses to go to fashion valley. some reasons include: the atmosphere is more entertaining, there is a better and more diverse group of shops, it has an authentic shopping mall vibe, it's more busy and lively which makes it fun, it's in a buzzing part of town, i can really go on. the new mall in otay ranch/eastlake is one word, BORING!!!! and it's one story and the strip is short. yawn!! not much of a shopping experience. i can see why no one really shops there. it's a beautiful, yet stupid, mall!

Old 11-28-2007, 01:02 PM

51 posts, read 212,604 times
I don't like it much. It's out of the way, no mass transit options, no FREEways, etc. There's nothing really awe-inspring to draw me that far from downtown.

Vegas also has it's "town center"-ish mall that just opened a couple weeks ago.. and coincidentally enough, it's very similar to this one. It'll be hell in the summer, though. I have no idea why Vegas is all of a sudden building tons of outdoor malls when 25% of the year it is unbearable.. but I guess this should be in the Vegas forums!

Town Square Las Vegas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego