Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2014, 03:30 PM

64 posts, read 193,764 times

Advertisements

Okay i have a passport book. but i heard having a passport card will get you across the boarder much faster. Is this true?

What is a Sentri Pass used for?

Can you use the Ready Lane to croo the boarder by Walking or Just Driving across?

Im so confused!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 05:35 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
I have the passport book and card as well as SENTRI. Before SENTRI, I used the card just because it was more convenient to carry a card. I've only walked across so I can only give you that perspective. I'm not sure if there is a difference between the book and card.

With the ready lane, you walk up to a machine and put your card in the reader. It's much faster that it used to be but the wait can still be long.

SENTRI is a whole different thing. You have to apply, go through a background check and interview to get it. It's a "trusted traveler" document that basically allows you to go to the head of the line. I applied and got the Global Entry card which has the SENTRI on it. The GE card is mainly used for air travel.

When you walk across the border, there is a line for the ready line, general public and SENTRI. The SENTRI line is usually empty and I usually walk to the front and walk across in five minutes as opposed to waiting hours in the regular line. The most I've had to wait is 15 minutes with 6 people in front of me.

The thing with SENTRI is that they are SO strict. I've known people that were rejected because they had a DUI or drug charge 20 years ago. When I went for my interview in 2012, they were giving some guy a hard time about a DUI from 1987.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:30 PM

6,506 posts, read 7,536,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
The thing with SENTRI is that they are SO strict. I've known people that were rejected because they had a DUI or drug charge 20 years ago. When I went for my interview in 2012, they were giving some guy a hard time about a DUI from 1987.

Hope this helps.
Yep, a DWI in Texas from 1999 when I was 18 disqualified me (young people, your past catches up with you). They are extremely strict with SENTRI (trusted traveler fast pass).

I haven't crossed San Ysidro North bound in over a year, but I cross at Otay READY lane on Sunday afternoon/evenings regularly and having the passport card (which will get you through the Ready lane but not SENTRI lane) gets me across in 30 mins to an an hour on average, I've never waited more that 1 hour and 15 mins.

I've waited in the Otay regular lane before on Sunday afternoon/evenings and that thing can take 1-2
hours on average. It is always shorter than the Ready lane, but moves horribly slow you will want to pull your hair out. I think it only feeds into 4 single booths where as the Ready feeds into 7-8 booths 4 of which are double booths.

My suggestion is that if you don't qualify for SENTRI, get a passport card (which can be used in the READY car or pedestrian lane) or a motorcycle/scooter to get across faster.

You can see the wait times right now for yourself. http://bwt.cbp.gov/

Last edited by malcorub16; 05-08-2014 at 06:41 PM..

Old 05-08-2014, 07:22 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watnow78 View Post
Okay i have a passport book. but i heard having a passport card will get you across the boarder much faster. Is this true?

What is a Sentri Pass used for?

Can you use the Ready Lane to croo the boarder by Walking or Just Driving across?

Im so confused!!!!

Yes, the passport card is quicker because it has an RFID chip in it. Having the card with the RFID chip makes you eligible for the Ready Lane. A passport book does not have the chip, thus it can't be used in a Ready Lane.

There are generally three classes of border crossers right now:
Regular-longest waits
Sentri-shortest waits
Ready Lane-less than regular and longer than sentri

This excludes programs at airports.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:16 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
But now the Sentri Line gets back up during the day, and the police are there to direct traffic. With only those two lanes, I think maybe in a year, the lines will be backed up for close to two hours, since I heard more people are getting Sentri.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego