Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 04:43 AM

5 posts, read 13,647 times

Advertisements

Hi All

I am from argentina and I'm taking a new job in SF, if everything goes well we are moving in a couple of month with my wife, there is an small detail though. She is two months pregnant.
My company will pay 50% of any health insurance I choose so what would you say is the best health insurance I can take given our condition?
I've read some companies dont cover pregnancy because they consider it an existing condition.
I'm pretty lost with this because the health system is very different here in Argentina.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 05:38 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josehr View Post
I'm pretty lost with this because the health system is very different here in Argentina.
Welcome to the third world country we call the USA.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:03 AM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times
Instead of coming in through the proper channels as you are admirably attempting to do, go down to Mexico and sneak over the border. That way, you can get your wife's prenatal care, delivery, and hospital expenses for free.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:13 AM

I doubt you'll find any coverage that's affordable until after the baby is born. Perhaps she could stay in Argentina until then? If you were an American moving to work in Argentina would it be any different?

Old 06-23-2010, 07:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
In many cases if one goes with an HMO or something like Keiser (which in essense is an HMO) pregnancy could be covered..I am wondering about a company that says you choose the insurance you want. Most companies I have dealt with will have a list of those they use and yes, it can be very extensive, but it will not be every single company.

OP, check again with your future employer, their HR dept should have the answers for you. Certainly they will know more than any of us. It is impossible to keep up with all the changes that are taking place daily.

Nita

Old 06-23-2010, 07:43 AM

You're aware that if the baby's born here he/she will automatically be an American citizen, yes? If you can arrange dual citizenship for her/him that would be pretty cool.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:06 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
You should ask your employer "would my insurance in the US be independent insurance coverage or group insurance through an employer?" This is important to ask because group coverage is much different and better than independent coverage because laws and member protections are much better under group coverage through an employer. If your employer says no to group coverage be careful and read the super duper fine print independent coverage contract may hide. Get an expert to view the policy closely.
Just curious, can you, as an Argentine citizen, carry your country's health coverage to the US in any manner or duration?

Old 06-23-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I doubt you'll find any coverage that's affordable until after the baby is born. Perhaps she could stay in Argentina until then? If you were an American moving to work in Argentina would it be any different?
Well, in Argentina as an employee you have the rights to at least a basic health coverage and also there is a public health system completely free.
Of course you can pay for a private health insurance with better coverage and service.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:09 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Generally I believe that health care plans provided by the employer cover pre-existing conditions. But if it's a case where you have to go and get private insurance on your own and your employer gives you money for it, the private insurer might not cover pre-existing conditions.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
You're aware that if the baby's born here he/she will automatically be an American citizen, yes? If you can arrange dual citizenship for her/him that would be pretty cool.
As far as I know, It's not that easy. She will have a H4 visa and we are ok with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland