Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2010, 10:37 AM

17 posts, read 109,617 times

Advertisements

My hubby wants to stay at the Red Victorian B&B and am wondering if anyone here has stayed there? Is it fun place, what things are there to do in the area? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 03:46 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
I don't see why not, the Haight is a pretty busy area. There are sometimes reports about "thug" types hanging out on the street being aggressive but I've never had any problems with people there, there are often annoying teenagers sitting on the sidewalk begging for change but they just sit there, also there's usually some grubby homeless people down around the McDonald's where Haight ends at the entrance to Golden Gate Park.

Overall the Haight isn't the safest part of SF but it's far from being as bad as places like the Tenderloin or eastern Mission.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:02 PM

159 posts, read 558,777 times
I haven't stayed at that B&B but have seen it & am somewhat familiar with the area.

I think the biggest crime threat would be to your car, if you have one, and if it's parked out on the street (finding a parking spot is usually extremely difficult). It's not a low-crime area, but most of the crimes are crimes of opportunity perpetrated against property, with the crimes against people mostly being limited to fights amongst drunk or drugged-out homeless types.

As for what there is to do in the area, well, it's the Haight-Ashbury area of San Francisco! Yuppie/hippy stores, tourist/hippy/homeless/hipster people-watching, a variety of restaurants (Toronado if you're into beer, Best of Thai Noodle, if you're into great, 'greasy-spoon' Thai food), and then all of the San Francisco stuff a relatively short drive away.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:43 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeO90 View Post
My hubby wants to stay at the Red Victorian B&B and am wondering if anyone here has stayed there? Is it fun place, what things are there to do in the area? Thanks!
I think your biggest threat is wasting money in a slummy place like Red Vic. Haight is a pretty unremarkable tourist trap...Except a bar called Alembic there is nothing worth spending time in Haight!

Old 12-04-2010, 08:32 PM

129 posts, read 405,303 times
I stayed in the Haight-Asbury district, close to the hotel you mentioned & stores/bars/etc, on Ashbury street for an entire month this past Fall & LOVED it!

It is safe. There WILL be LOTS of people out on the streets/sidewalks during the say & at night.

Of course you will run into some homeless people asking for money or folks playing instruments or holding up signs asking for money.

I have been inside of the Red Victorian, but only in the lobby/downstairs area where people can go...I bought a small poster there.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:07 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,128,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeO90 View Post
The Red Vic shows great movies!
Near GG Park, Other side is the Ocean/Cliff House, the Zoo etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland