Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2011, 11:58 AM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times

Advertisements

Still, Brooklyn is the best part of New York. And Oakland is the best part of the Bay Area. We only moved away for economic reasons and, when the wife & I get out of school, we'll be moving to either Oakland or, you guessed it, Brooklyn. Or Jersey *rolleyes*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 12:07 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times
LOL@ Taylor Swift.

Good job Stephen.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:18 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,226,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
Piedmont Avenue - The neighborhood is bounded by Broadway on the west, Oakland Avenue and City of Piedmont on the East, the Mountain View Cemetery on the north, and the MacArthur Freeway (Interstate 580) on the south. Piedmont Ave. holds an eclectic blend of locally-owned antique and vintage shops, boutiques, jewelry stores, bookstores and a popular local cinema. Outdoor cafes and coffee houses invite a leisurely repast and an array of restaurants offer eclectic cuisine. Altogether, there are 250+ business establishments (restaurants, bars, clubs, retail shops, stores, cafes, services, etc) in this area.
I love this area. Barney's is awesome.

As to what's the next "Brooklyn", I hope nothing is the next Brooklyn. Not that I dislike Brooklyn, I'd rather have whatever area develop its own character (bad not included).

Old 08-16-2011, 12:23 PM

This is not the first time Oakland was associated to Brooklyn, it actually goes back to the early 1900s when the Clinton neighborhood was first called "Brooklyn" and at time, Oakland development ended right about there so Im guessing that it was sort of an homage to BK? I dunno.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:40 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,445,053 times
Brooklyn is working on becoming the next Portland So does Seattle want to be the second to next Portland?

Old 08-16-2011, 12:46 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,082,250 times
I just hope Oakland doesn't start getting too expensive because it's the only place that's near SF that is really cool to live in but is still really affordable. But you know it's going to happen especially if people keep talking positively about it...uh, I mean man, it's such a constant struggle to survive in Rockridge with all the gang wars going on there...

Old 08-16-2011, 12:55 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,226,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
I just hope Oakland doesn't start getting too expensive because it's the only place that's near SF that is really cool to live in but is still really affordable. But you know it's going to happen especially if people keep talking positively about it...uh, I mean man, it's such a constant struggle to survive in Rockridge with all the gang wars going on there...
Where's Mr. F when you need him?

Old 08-16-2011, 01:22 PM

506 posts, read 1,154,979 times
Quote:
Don't worry. The secret is not widespread yet. I suggest visiting Oakland to my husband and you'd think I'd said Kabul with the way he reacts. I am tempted to blindfold him and stuff him on the BART and not tell him where we're going.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I mean man, it's such a constant struggle to survive in Rockridge with all the gang wars going on there...
Yes, life in Upper Rockridge is taking its toll on me.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:56 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,601,353 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
Where's Mr. F when you need him?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isebiel View Post
Don't worry. The secret is not widespread yet. I suggest visiting Oakland to my husband and you'd think I'd said Kabul with the way he reacts. I am tempted to blindfold him and stuff him on the BART and not tell him where we're going.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes, life in Upper Rockridge is taking its toll on me.
Especially in recent years, when Rockridge was named One the Best Places to Live in the United States
(Monclair was also named One the Best Places to Live in the United States)

Rockridge combines urban sophistication with a relaxed suburban environment providing an "alternative for people who want a big city lifestyle without the big city expenses."

10 Best Places To Live 2002 - December 1, 2002

Last edited by Stephen1110; 08-18-2011 at 06:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland