Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2011, 04:05 PM

29 posts, read 36,680 times

Advertisements

I'm an EE with many years of experience in semiconductors and also at system level in the Silicon Valley. I've moved to Houston a few months ago, paid off a nice house and fortunately HP offered me a job with $84K yearly salary and 10% bonus, at the same time a very profitable test equipment maker in the Silicon Valley gave me 31% higher with same bonus plan but paid out every six months, $3K for relocation assistance and possibly reimbursed car shipping cost. At this point I don't know which job offer is better. I know take home income for both is about the same (10% California state tax) without the extra income from renting out the house, and if I rent a decent apartment in the Bay area (less personal comfort than own bigger house). Some said to stay in Houston due to already settled (no labor and time to repack), family, close commute to HP with more than one traffic route, much better personal living ( big house paid off with only property tax, insurance and low hoa). Others said to move back to Cali due to best weather, more fun for single people, friends to hang out with, more jobs in case.

Which job would be best for me for many years ahead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 05:11 PM

506 posts, read 1,154,784 times
This is kind of a big decision to ask a web forum, I'm sure you realize...

But, in any case, you'll have to say more about yourself and what you like to give us something to go on.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:18 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
You already lived out here so you'd be able to compare, it depends on whether you really want to live here compared with there. I don't think we can really make that decision for you.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:10 PM

310 posts, read 651,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4decision View Post
I'm an EE with many years of experience in semiconductors and also at system level in the Silicon Valley. I've moved to Houston a few months ago, paid off a nice house and fortunately HP offered me a job with $84K yearly salary and 10% bonus, at the same time a very profitable test equipment maker in the Silicon Valley gave me 31% higher with same bonus plan but paid out every six months, $3K for relocation assistance and possibly reimbursed car shipping cost. At this point I don't know which job offer is better. I know take home income for both is about the same (10% California state tax) without the extra income from renting out the house, and if I rent a decent apartment in the Bay area (less personal comfort than own bigger house). Some said to stay in Houston due to already settled (no labor and time to repack), family, close commute to HP with more than one traffic route, much better personal living ( big house paid off with only property tax, insurance and low hoa). Others said to move back to Cali due to best weather, more fun for single people, friends to hang out with, more jobs in case.

Which job would be best for me for many years ahead?

Is it just me, or does this post sound like one those damn word problems from high school math class? ("2 trains approach each other in opposite directions. The 1st train leaves the station at 12:30p and travels at an average speed of 65mph, while the 2nd train...")

Anyway, to the OP...yeah we can't really crunch your numbers for you, but my hunch is you'll do fine financially in either scenario, considering your earning capacity and your apparent financial discpline to pay off your house in Houston. That said, as I'm sure you're aware, there is a HUGE difference between owning a house in Houston and owning a house in SV (as in multiply by 3x or 4x for the latter).

It sounds like you're already aware that, even with the 31% higher salary with the SV job, your disposable income will be roughly the same once you factor in higher CA income tax and higher COL.

So...I would say it comes down to your lifestyle preference. If you've experienced both places, which area did you prefer living in? The Bay Area and Houston lifestyles are quite different, so it shouldn't be tough to be more drawn to one over the other.

With the numbers roughly a wash, I'd say go with the other factors (only you would know which of those are the most important) to make your decision. The current and future job market in each locale for engineers with your experience could be another determining factor.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakAve2OakLand View Post
Is it just me, or does this post sound like one those damn word problems from high school math class? ("2 trains approach each other in opposite directions. The 1st train leaves the station at 12:30p and travels at an average speed of 65mph, while the 2nd train...")

Anyway, to the OP...yeah we can't really crunch your numbers for you, but my hunch is you'll do fine financially in either scenario, considering your earning capacity and your apparent financial discpline to pay off your house in Houston. That said, as I'm sure you're aware, there is a HUGE difference between owning a house in Houston and owning a house in SV (as in multiply by 3x or 4x for the latter).

It sounds like you're already aware that, even with the 31% higher salary with the SV job, your disposable income will be roughly the same once you factor in higher CA income tax and higher COL.

So...I would say it comes down to your lifestyle preference. If you've experienced both places, which area did you prefer living in? The Bay Area and Houston lifestyles are quite different, so it shouldn't be tough to be more drawn to one over the other.

With the numbers roughly a wash, I'd say go with the other factors (only you would know which of those are the most important) to make your decision. The current and future job market in each locale for engineers with your experience could be another determining factor.
THANK you for a sound detailed feedback! I was cracking up at your funny comparison to an old hs math prob. Anyway the actual savings number come out about the same. You right about coming down to personal lifestyles and if I can put up with living in an old smaller studio in the Bay to really save more money and working for a more profitable company. I have family and relatives in Houston and the paid off house which are the real deal breakers. I might be stupid to go back to Cali just to downgrade own personal living standard in order to save more money.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isebiel View Post
This is kind of a big decision to ask a web forum, I'm sure you realize...

But, in any case, you'll have to say more about yourself and what you like to give us something to go on.
Yes I realize. Basically if I can AGAIN accept the real life fact, which I had been through before in the same Silicon valley, that own personal living standard is downgraded significantly from living in a house in Houston to an old small studio there, then the additional big saving is much more worthy of moving there. Otherwise it is not worth the same trouble of moving back to live in a decent apt (still a downgrade) like $1600 month for the same take home income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland