Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2011, 04:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,883 times

Advertisements

I live in Contra Costa county actually, do you know what renter rights are if the landlord sells the building you live in? How much notice do new owners have to give you if they want you out? Are they required to compensate us for moving costs? I don't believe any of us have leases.

Any advise would be appreciated
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 04:29 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
A purchaser of a property has to honor whatever property rights you have with the seller. If none of you have leases and are on month-to-month tenancies, the landlord only has to give you 30 days notice (60 days if you've lived there more than one year) that he is ending your tenancy. Most purchasers would want to have the current residents stay.

They don't owe you moving expenses.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:38 PM

2 posts, read 3,883 times
thanks for reply! Very helpful

Old 10-05-2011, 01:27 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,036,677 times
Even if your landlord sold the house to somebody, if you have a lease contract, the new owner has to legally honor it and couldn't kick you out. The same sort of thing has been happening to many people who have rented houses that have been foreclosed on. Those renters with lease contracts can't be kicked out by the bank or whoever purchases the home until the lease contract expires.

If there's no lease, I'm not exactly sure what rights you have.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:35 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Even if your landlord sold the house to somebody, if you have a lease contract, the new owner has to legally honor it and couldn't kick you out. The same sort of thing has been happening to many people who have rented houses that have been foreclosed on. Those renters with lease contracts can't be kicked out by the bank or whoever purchases the home until the lease contract expires.

If there's no lease, I'm not exactly sure what rights you have.
I am not an expert, but I am not sure that the new owner has any obligation to a previous owners tenants. I would think that the seller, your landlord would have had some sort of obligation to let his renters know that he is selling. If it were me, I would have been making my plans to move, especially if I didn't have a lease. I would suggest that you refer to landlord tenant rights laws in your particular area. I am sure that selling a home has some issues for renters, but if I were you, I would check w/ an attorney, or a board of realtors professional.
For instance, what if a person bought a place intending to live in it, not to rent. There are lots of variables, I would check and then be armed w/ knowing my rights. my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland