Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2012, 07:39 PM

108 posts, read 230,862 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

We are visiting SF in June on business and will have some free time. It's been 2-3 yrs since I've been there, so need some help please.

Is there somewhere with some nightlife on a Wed / Thurs evening? I am thinking similar to South Beach here in Miami (without the beach, lol).. or a nice bar / restaurants to go with wife? With music? We're staying at the Drake, but Fisherman's wharf as no night life, I think? I went there during the day last time...

We're doing the Alcatraz tour and just stroll by Fisherman's Wharf on one of the days. I remember last time, I took the trolly down a few blocks away from Fisherman's Wharf and walked through some beautiful homes on a hill with flowers and landscaping, etc.. What's the name of that area??

Anything else to do during the day in that area for the wife while I am in meetings?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 07:53 PM

203 posts, read 428,472 times
Wait, you're looking for nightlife similar to Sobe? My god, I thought you would be wanting to get away from that scene completely and and experience something not offered in Miami. I live in Miami (Brickell) and we are moving to San Francisco in July. Can't wait!

Old 05-22-2012, 07:59 PM

108 posts, read 230,862 times
LOL, you have a point, you know just a bar with music, "night life".... not some whole in the wall , lol, we are traveling.... Brickell is nice, something like marybrickellvillage, or Lincoln road, I guess.. Brickell is very nice btw..

Any suggestions of something "not offered in miami'? We're open.. just don't want to stay in the hotel / finance district every night

Old 05-23-2012, 08:07 AM

1,651 posts, read 3,699,359 times
The Mission is grungy, SoMa is clubby.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:38 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,083,238 times
Union Square is pretty lively at night. It is full of tourists but compared to somewhere like Fisherman's Wharf it's not super touristy. There are some really old local restaurants around there, go on yelp and find some recommended places. North Beach is lively at night too but you might find it a bit rowdy for your tastes.

Unfortunately I can't really recommend any restaurants in Union Square because I never really went there for dinner. The Gold Dust Lounge is a great old school bar but I think it's either closed down now or in the process of closing, they had some kind of lease problem going on. Honestly I never found a really good restaurant in North Beach, it has a lot of Italian places but all the ones I tried there were pretty crummy. It has some good bars and coffee shops though like Spec's and Caffe Trieste, though it also has a lot of greasy strip clubs and bars that tend to attract rowdy frat bro types.

Chinatown is nearby and is cool to walk around at night, but most restaurants there are not that good. I always recommend Hunan Homes and House of Nanking.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:13 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,139,312 times
I would recommend Cafe Claude, in the Union Square area. They will have a jazz trio and delicious French cuisine. The music is background, but if you want something more, Oz is right around the corner with great jazz bands every night. Plus, there are many very nice hotel bars nearby with live music and dancing that aren't hole-in-the-wall joints. The Starlight Room is right in your hotel, in fact.

Try the Clift, down the street on Geary for hip contemporary or the Tonga Room up on Nob Hill for a kind of kitschy tiki bar scene that is a lot of fun. SOMA places would be nice, too and there are always interesting things happening in North Beach, though the grunge factor there might be higher than you want. The music will be great, though.

Have fun exploring. That's a big part of the experience.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:24 PM

457 posts, read 757,104 times
Cafe claude is a good recommendation. I would also recommend hanging out in the Marina area, especially around Chestnut or Union streets. Chestnut is always buzzing and they have a ton of bars and restaurants.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:57 AM

157 posts, read 332,699 times
Waterbar by the Embarcadero near the Bay Bridge, there is also the Americano and a few other bars/restaurants in that area. If it's not foggy, it is very nice to go for a walk around there during the day and grab some drinks/food by that area. Not sure if Watebar still got the $1 oyster though, but ask them, great deal!

Old 05-24-2012, 12:14 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,754,662 times
Have "the wife" call the Visitors' Bureau and ask about walking tours.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:05 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,520,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuaname View Post
Hello all,

We are visiting SF in June on business and will have some free time. It's been 2-3 yrs since I've been there, so need some help please.

Is there somewhere with some nightlife on a Wed / Thurs evening? I am thinking similar to South Beach here in Miami (without the beach, lol).. or a nice bar / restaurants to go with wife? With music? We're staying at the Drake, but Fisherman's wharf as no night life, I think? I went there during the day last time...

We're doing the Alcatraz tour and just stroll by Fisherman's Wharf on one of the days. I remember last time, I took the trolly down a few blocks away from Fisherman's Wharf and walked through some beautiful homes on a hill with flowers and landscaping, etc.. What's the name of that area??

Anything else to do during the day in that area for the wife while I am in meetings?

thanks
Night life ends at 9 pm around here! You can go to the 24h Denny's for fun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland