Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 01:40 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,040,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You know I don't know who they interviewed or surveyed, whatever and I am not a lover of Oakland, but like all these studies and reports, they mean almost nothing. Crime has been a problem in parts of Oakland since the 60s, maybe before and it probably always will be, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have a lot to offer...or that people should take this to seriously!!!
While stats and reports don't tell the whole picture it does give you an idea of trends.
How come it does not mean a thing to you?

Old 03-05-2013, 01:42 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,011,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
While stats and reports don't tell the whole picture it does give you an idea of trends.
How could it not mean a thing to you?
Exactly. Numbers don't lie. Anecdotal stories will though.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:43 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Doc, I see exactly what you mean, and I think the technical term is cognitive dissonance, though I would disagree with the previous assertions that it's just ''Oakland's problem'', since we all pay for it, one way or another.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Doc, I see exactly what you mean, and I think the technical term is cognitive dissonance, though I would disagree with the previous assertions that it's just ''Oakland's problem'', since we all pay for it, one way or another.
In fairness, 18montclair is more sensitive than most Oaklanders (IMO).

But I agree Cognitive Dissonance fits perfectly.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:50 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
mod cut
Oh, okay, respond to this:

What happens is, some out-of-towners appear to be mortally wounded and deeply, personally offended when we Oaklanders explain what our lives are like, in Oakland.

They vehemently dislike when we talk about the things we love about living in Oakland, and because we are not consumed by the crime rate, which is a problem and everyone knows it, but because that's not all we talk about, they claim we are therefore in 'denial'...which is strange because number 1, we dont need to explain our personal experience to you or anyone else and 2, if you dislike Oakland so much, then dont go there and ignore all the Oakland threads.

There are thousands of well heeled, well educated, high skilled, very artistic and ambitious people who want to be here and they move here in droves every year. Oakland is their cup of tea, its not yours--great, now go in peace.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 03-05-2013 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you refer to has been deleted

Old 03-05-2013, 01:50 PM

Hey 18montclair, what do you think about this?

Quote:
In Oakland, 71% of residents said crime is their number one concern — that’s twice as high as in San Jose (where 34% of residents listed crime as their top worry) and five times higher than in San Francisco (where only 12% cited crime as the big concern).

Last edited by Sam I Am; 03-05-2013 at 06:27 PM..

Old 03-05-2013, 01:51 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
I'm assuming your website also carries the definition for "compartmentalization"

Old 03-05-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Oh, okay, respond to this:

What happens is, some out-of-towners appear to be mortally wounded and deeply, personally offended when we Oaklanders explain what our lives are like, in Oakland.

They why do 71% of Oaklanders think their city is crime infested and things need to be changed?

Old 03-05-2013, 02:04 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
They why do 71% of Oaklanders think their city is crime infested and things need to be changed?
Yes 'doc', crime is the number 1 issue for 71% of Oaklanders(including myself), but that just means that we all acknowledge the fact that crime is our most pressing issue-IT DOES NOT mean that we have therefore locked ourselves in our homes and have stopped enjoying everything this amazing city and location has to offer...on the contrary love, the Oakland I live in is(quite)fabulous.

So perhaps your goal from this point forward should be to understand the difference between big city life(where there is a lot of good and not-so-good) and sheltered suburbia(which is fine if that's your thing)

Old 03-05-2013, 02:09 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,716,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes 'doc', crime is the number 1 issue for 71% of Oaklanders(including myself), but that just means that we all acknowledge the fact that crime is our most pressing issue-IT DOES NOT mean that we have therefore locked ourselves in our homes and have stopped enjoying everything this amazing city and location has to offer...on the contrary love, the Oakland I live in is(quite)fabulous.

So perhaps your goal from this point forward should be to understand the difference between big city life(where there is a lot of good and not-so-good) and sheltered suburbia(which is fine if that's your thing)
As I frequently point out around here I'm 5 miles from the Fresno Bulldogs territory, yet pretty safe here. I'm certain there are safe areas in Oakland.

Last edited by Senno; 03-05-2013 at 02:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland