Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2013, 01:41 PM

50 posts, read 102,926 times

Advertisements

Long story short, we might be moving to San Francisco because of a military move. Here's what we are looking for.

Our BAH is $3400 a month, which seems like a LOT, but I'm guessing it's not... We have 3 small dogs and would like a place with a fence and a house...not a condo or apartment.

Also, I'd like to keep my commute under 30 minutes. I'll be working at the Coast Guard base on Yerba Island and would ideally like it to be even less (15 minutes), but I hear traffic is pretty horrible, so who knows.

Any help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 01:33 AM

75 posts, read 123,290 times
Working for the coast guard, is it possible to use a speed boat to get to work? Park it on the Berkeley marina, you could live lavishly in the Berkeley Hills, and make it to work within 20-30 mins.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:22 AM

23,552 posts, read 24,057,818 times
Here in the Bay Area, most landlords are not pet friendly, for some reason. Years ago, we moved back here from SoCal and needed to temporarily rent a home, with a cat.

We found several good rentals, but they would not accept a cat. We finally found an accommodating landlord who would accept a cat.

With 3 dogs, I'm afraid it will be quite hard to locate a place. Good luck.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:03 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwin View Post
Long story short, we might be moving to San Francisco because of a military move. Here's what we are looking for.

Our BAH is $3400 a month, which seems like a LOT, but I'm guessing it's not... We have 3 small dogs and would like a place with a fence and a house...not a condo or apartment.

Also, I'd like to keep my commute under 30 minutes. I'll be working at the Coast Guard base on Yerba Island and would ideally like it to be even less (15 minutes), but I hear traffic is pretty horrible, so who knows.

Any help would be appreciated!
Have you checked to see if the Coast Guard could find you something nearby, or on Treasure Island? That would solve the commute issue, and if it's in their own housing complex, they may be fine with dogs. Otherwise, all you can do is test the waters by looking up rental homes in Berkeley, El Cerrito, Albany and Alameda, calling them, and asking if small dogs would be ok. There may not be that many places available that have a fenced yard.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:20 AM

47 posts, read 272,153 times
worse comes to worst, you could always get a place in the valley and then commute on your own. I certainly wouldn't give up the dogs, and since you're committed to the military, you can't really change duty stations. The commute might actually be a good way to catch up on personal business. I used to do that on the train and then the ferry and really grew to look forward to it. Check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland