Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 10:55 AM

75 posts, read 123,339 times

Advertisements

I normally don't fall for the click-n-bait schemes of SFGate, but image # 11 of the cyclist from Reasons not to move to San Francisco | SFGate Blog | an SFGate.com blog drives me bananas.

I am an avid cyclist (commute several days a week and when my kid lets me many miles on the weekend), but sneaking between cars in traffic is literally an accident waiting to happen. Please, take a full lane of traffic and wait your turn like everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 11:01 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,101,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckerz View Post
I normally don't fall for the click-n-bait schemes of SFGate, but image # 11 of the cyclist from Reasons not to move to San Francisco | SFGate Blog | an SFGate.com blog drives me bananas.

I am an avid cyclist (commute several days a week and when my kid lets me many miles on the weekend), but sneaking between cars in traffic is literally an accident waiting to happen. Please, take a full lane of traffic and wait your turn like everyone else.
I think there are quite a few dangers to not getting to the front (and then getting over) if you're a bicycle. Urban bicycling isn't about 'waiting your turn', it's about doing what's most safe for you. Now, if you're insinuating that waiting your turn means not running a red light or a stop sign, then I'm in full agreement with you, but if you're against coming to the front of the line (and unlike the gentleman in the photo, getting over to the curb side), then I'm going to disagree with you and tell you that as an avid urban cyclist, that's the best and safest way to ride in traffic.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:15 AM

75 posts, read 123,339 times
What are the dangers of waiting directly behind a vehicle ?
How do they compare with the dangers of waiting adjacent to a vehicle?

Old 06-03-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Nearly being rear ended by drivers approaching a stop and pay little attention to what they're coming to. Unlike when you're rear-ended in a car at a stop, a bicyclist is murdered. No thanks.

I've never had any issues coming next to a stopped vehicle and waiting for them. They see me, I see them. Depending on where I'm at, they know where I'm going. I'm not even in their way, because if we're both going straight, I'm never in front of them.

Why would I sit sandwiched behind a car and in front of an approaching car when I can be beside one?

Old 06-03-2013, 01:52 PM

702 posts, read 955,250 times
If you get rear-ended in a car, it's a relatively minor accident. Rear ended on a bicycle means you're crushed between two steel boxes - I say no thank you to that. Cruising to the front of the line means I don't have to worry about being killed every single time a car pulls up behind me...

Old 06-05-2013, 03:55 AM

21,893 posts, read 25,208,235 times
Quote:
rear ended.

There are no dangers of waiting adjacent to a vehicle. If someone rear ends the line of vehicles, you're all the way up at the front. Can't split those lanes in a motorcycle, but there's plenty of room for a bicycle. They put little bike boxes on intersections now for a reason. Same thing, you just have to think for yourself rather than coloring book version of having a painted box to tell you where to be.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:24 AM

486 posts, read 1,256,722 times
This is why I've installed a dash cam. I've had too many damn close calls with cyclists not observing traffic laws and then blaming me every time. Now I just let them do whatever. As long as I'm observing the traffic laws, I got evidence in my favor now.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:20 PM

4 posts, read 3,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countofmc View Post
This is why I've installed a dash cam. I've had too many damn close calls with cyclists not observing traffic laws and then blaming me every time. Now I just let them do whatever. As long as I'm observing the traffic laws, I got evidence in my favor now.
"But I did the Idaho roll maannnnnnn...."

Agreed. No problem with intelligent, law-abiding cyclists. They're fine by me . The rest, particularly the ones that buzz pedestrians, are on par with drunk drivers or motorcycle stunt drivers. Whatever happens to them is their own fault.

Darwinism...

SF Bay Area Accidents. Bicycle Accident Timeline, 21st Century

The vast majority of deaths would be easily preventable if your average Bay Area cyclist had a clue.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:41 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,995,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countofmc View Post
Haha, wait... so you have this camera rolling the whole time every time you drive?

Old 06-07-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
Haha, wait... so you have this camera rolling the whole time every time you drive?
Pretty silly, huh? lol

I guess they have it like that in Russia, though, since there's such a ridiculous amount of insurance fraud, and thus so many were able to catch the meteorite a few months back. Why Almost Everyone in Russia Has a Dash Cam | Autopia | Wired.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland