Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 10:23 AM

74 posts, read 91,671 times

Advertisements

I'm taking the Greyhound bus alone on Monday evening from Los Angeles and will be arriving in San Francisco Tuesday 5:30 AM. I never been to San Francisco/Northern California so I'm quite excited. I will stay in the city and plan on taking the Hop On Hop Off bus tour to take me to the major sights and explore some on my own. I will spend the whole day in the city until 10 PM and take the bus back again and arrive early AM the following day in LA.

I know I will be tired and crazy for not staying one day, but I've done this once from NYC to Montreal and was well worth it.

What can I do at 5:30 AM in San Francisco? Should I bring a long sleeve shirt? Are there any IN N OUT and Porto in SF? Is the city safe especially early morning in the city where Greyhound bus make a stop? What are must things to see/do? Please share advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 11:59 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Next time you plan something like this, I'd recommend the train. So much more comfortable than a bus!

Old 07-05-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Next time you plan something like this, I'd recommend the train. So much more comfortable than a bus!
Train is more expensive and takes longer. I did take Greyhound bus twice previously and liked it.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:40 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,729,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewishtoLA View Post
What can I do at 5:30 AM in San Francisco? Should I bring a long sleeve shirt? Are there any IN N OUT and Porto in SF?.
1) You can ride on the Cable Car, light rail or bus around SF and see some of the sights at 5:30 AM. It starts getting light at about that time. First choice would be a cable car. Go have breakfast!
2) You might need a sweater or hoodie. There's sometimes wind and fog especially in the morning and late afternoon.
3) There's an In-N-Out at Fisherman's Wharf where all the touristy stuff is. I think it's closer to Pier 39.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
1) You can ride on the Cable Car, light rail or bus around SF and see some of the sights at 5:30 AM. It starts getting light at about that time. First choice would be a cable car. Go have breakfast!
2) You might need a sweater or hoodie. There's sometimes wind and fog especially in the morning and late afternoon.
3) There's an In-N-Out at Fisherman's Wharf where all the touristy stuff is. I think it's closer to Pier 39.
Thanks

Would there be people around early AM or will it be dead? Where can I have breakfast?

Old 07-05-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
That's a great idea re: early-morning cable car. The Powell Street line normally is jammed with tourists, and has a long line waiting, but at that early hour, it would be wide open. Ride it to Fisherman's Wharf, and explore for a good local breakfast place. I'd recommend both a sweater and a light jacket as a wind-breaker, just in case. After breakfast, cruise Ghirardelli Square, then catch the cable car back towards downtown, and get off at Chinatown. (Ask the brakeman in advance to call "Chinatown", so you know where to get off.)

From there you can either walk downtown, or in the opposite direction, to check out the North Beach neighborhood. By then it should be about 9 a.m., and the city will be waking up and beginning to open for business. From the main drag in North Beach, you can visit Coit Tower on Telegraph Hill, and enjoy the view. There's a big flock of parrots that lives on Telegraph Hill (a film was made about them), and there are walking paths around the neighborhood to explore.

Be sure to buy a good map before you head north from LA. Also, consider buying the book, "Stairway walks in San Francisco", by Bakalinsky. Telegraph Hill (and elsewhere around town) has some beautiful and unusual walking routes.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 07-05-2014 at 05:40 PM..

Old 07-05-2014, 05:37 PM

^^ wow thanks for tips!

How much is cable car?

Old 07-05-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks

Would there be people around early AM or will it be dead? Where can I have breakfast?
By the time you get there, it would be around 6 a.m., so there should be some cafes opening up for breakfast. I don't know what prices are like in LA, but they're a bit stiff in SF. Closer to NYC pricing, but not quite that bad.

The last time I was in SF (too long ago), cable cars were $2.00. They must be at least $3.00 by now. Oh, and there's a cable car museum around Chinatown somewhere, look it up. Fascinating.

Also, instead of taking the cable car back from fisherman's wharf, you could just walk up Columbus Ave. (main drag in North Beach), to look for a good cafe, and also explore Telegraph Hill/Coit Tower, then Chinatown. This takes you in the direction of downtown. Grant Street is the main street in Chinatown, easy to find from Columbus Ave. If you can't find an open cafe between 6 a.m. and 7, certainly by 7 a few places should be open. And your self-guided walking tour of that area will have you passing by some of those.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 07-05-2014 at 05:55 PM..

Old 07-05-2014, 05:55 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
By the time you get there, it would be around 6 a.m., so there should be some cafes opening up for breakfast. I don't know what prices are like in LA, but they're a bit stiff in SF. Closer to NYC pricing, but not quite that bad.

The last time I was in SF (too long ago), cable cars were $2.00. They must be at least $3.00 by now. Oh, and there's a cable car museum around Chinatown somewhere, look it up. Fascinating.
Think $6. The cable car has been changed to tourist prices. Breakfast at 6 is pretty limited. Starbucks and Denny's mostly. I'd say get a snack and have a later real breakfast at a destination place.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:47 PM

3,247 posts, read 6,305,755 times
Quote:
Thanks

Pinecrest Diner - San Francisco, CA

About a block west of Union square on Geary,open 24 hours a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland