Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 07:04 PM

130 posts, read 163,267 times

Advertisements

I am planning to have a couple of hours to visit San Francisco and will be staying in the Fisherman's Wharf area. What would you recommend to see in a couple of hours (like 5), and what would you recommend to eat? I am so looking forward to visiting your sunny sunny state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 10:30 AM

38 posts, read 41,182 times
Alcatraz - It's awesome. Get online and get tickets asap, as it's always booked. Tons of great food in SF, but the wharf area is touristy, so it will be hit or miss and pricey. Also, SF is not the warm and sunny California you see on TV. Bring a light jacket and long pants. it's breezy and cool down by the wharf.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:20 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,334,327 times
I think Alcatraz is overrated, and for the time you'll have there the tour would take up a big chunk of it by the time you wait on the ferry, get there for the tour and make your way back. I think the Wharf area is a lot of fun and quite walkable for the time you have there. It is pricey, but so is everything in San Francisco. Peir 39 has a lot of really nice restaurants, and my favorite is Wipeout Bar and Grill which is reasonably priced.

Definitely bring a jacket, or do what many other tourists in the area do and buy a San Francisco hoodie. It's kind of a joke with the locals.

If you want to get off the beaten path a bit by walking along the water, check out Ghirardelli Square. It's near the pickup point for the trolley, and you'll get a free chocolate just for visiting the Ghirardelli store.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:45 AM

23,544 posts, read 24,041,250 times
I would walk around Crissy Field.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:57 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,725,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
If you want to get off the beaten path a bit by walking along the water, check out Ghirardelli Square. It's near the pickup point for the trolley, and you'll get a free chocolate just for visiting the Ghirardelli store.
By "trolley", he means cable car. Walk to the west end of Fishermans Wharf near Ghirardelli Square and ride the cable car to downtown and back. Nice views along the way. Visit Fishermans Wharf and that should kill about 5 hours. You can also take a bay cruise that lasts about an hour. Either San Francisco Bay Boat Tours & Sightseeing| Red and White Fleet Cruises or San Francisco Bay Cruise and Sightseeing | Blue & Gold Fleet - cost about $20 the last time I looked.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:06 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,989,754 times
I guess if I had only five hours near the Wharf, then I'd probably walk over to North Beach/Chinatown--have lunch/ice cream, etc, or walk over to Fort Mason/Crissy Field area along the beach/trails etc., then maybe check out the Musee Mechanique on the way back to your hotel. I think the Alcatraz tour would use up all of your time and would be better suited for a longer stay.

Welcome to the Musee Mecanique - The Mechanical Musuem

Old 03-25-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
By "trolley", he means cable car.
Yes, I did. I work in Old Town Alexandria VA now, and they call it a trolley (it's free, and there's no wait to boot!). Depending on the day, the wait for the cable car can be ridiculously long. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:01 PM

130 posts, read 163,267 times
TomDac, thanks for the advice, I am planning to visit during the first week of April? Is it still cold then too? Good to know about the weather. It seemed much hotter than the city. And my tour does include Alcatraz.
Robert20170, thanks for the hoodie advice. That does seem funny that people would drop money on buying a hooded sweatshirt. But Cali stuff looks so cool.
Humboldrat, thanks for the clarification. Ghiradelli Square sounds interesting.
CCM123 and clongirl, thanks for replying, ... What is Crissy Field?

And lastly, why does transportation cost so much money in SF? $7 for one way ticket on a cable car. Is there a cheaper way to get around?

Old 03-26-2016, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefrogs View Post
And lastly, why does transportation cost so much money in SF? $7 for one way ticket on a cable car. Is there a cheaper way to get around?
The cable car is a tourist attraction and expensive due to demand. Wait until you see the line for it during peak hours. Consider the Muni bus which is $2.25 and less wait. I have lived all over though, and I think San Francisco is one of the most walkable cities in America. If you're able, it's a great way to see the city.

More information on transportation here:

https://www.sfmta.com/getting-around...t/fares-passes

Old 03-26-2016, 11:52 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,725,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefrogs View Post
thanks for replying, ... What is Crissy Field?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crissy_Field

It's mostly a large grassy field along the bay with nice views of the Golden Gate Bridge. On nice days, it's very popular with people and their dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland