Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 02:12 PM

25 posts, read 66,705 times

Advertisements

I know that's a vague question, but I've never been to SF and my interests can vary. I'm in my mid twenties and would just like to know what kind of activities to do up there that can be done by myself. Any place I should avoid, places to stay/see, food to eat, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 02:22 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,282,608 times
You're right- it's a super vague question. SF is a world class city with tons to offer. Perhaps if you could narrow it down a bit some people could help.

Old 05-27-2016, 03:45 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
No, there's nothing to do; all that hype about SF is just bogus marketing.

It depends on what your interests are, and if you're talking strictly about the city itself, or if you'd be able to venture beyond the city. And you haven't told us how long you'll be there.

Golden Gate Park has a lot to offer; the DeYoung Museum, the Japanese Tea Garden, an aquarium, a bison herd, and much more. From there, you can take a long walk or a short drive to the beach. You can visit the Presidio, and walk part way across the GG Bridge for views (choose a time closer to mid-day, after the morning fog has rolled back out to sea). There's the Embarcadero, for shops, restaurants (they say there's a killer Ice Cream Shoppe there) and other attractions. There's Chinatown, if you're into that. There's the modern art museum. Those, just off the top of my head. Oh, and you can buy a ticket online to visit Alcatraz, if you're into that. But be careful; get a tour company that actually visits the island, because some only cruise around it without stopping to disembark on the island.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:39 PM

484 posts, read 822,659 times
Wow ... he gets to experience the SF smug before even stepping foot in the city?

The new SFMOMA is getting a lot of press and it supposed to be great, if you're into modern art.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:26 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,917,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterori View Post
I know that's a vague question, but I've never been to SF and my interests can vary. I'm in my mid twenties and would just like to know what kind of activities to do up there that can be done by myself. Any place I should avoid, places to stay/see, food to eat, etc?
Whenever I get super vague questions like this asking "what's there to do!?", especially without any interests listed...I usually just forward these sites as a start:
Free & Cheap Events & Things to Do in the San Francisco Bay Area | Funcheap
https://www.thrillist.com/entertainm...gs-to-do-in-sf

Being young (and probably wanting to keep costs down), there are always great ideas there. SF, like any big city, has a lot to do. And when you include the surrounding region, there's a huge amount of things to possibly see/do.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:51 PM

1,289 posts, read 938,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterori View Post
Can give only vague help:

Your varying interests can be accommodated in San Francisco.
Activities? Anything except desert-oriented.
Places to stay/avoid, food to eat? Look online and don't completely ignore Yelp.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:42 PM

15 posts, read 15,979 times
I'm in the same situation as OP. Can i bart to Mt. Diablo? I heard it's the tallest mountain in the bay area and that you can see the skyline from the peak on clear days.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:57 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,917,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Texans 4 Breakfast View Post
I'm in the same situation as OP. Can i bart to Mt. Diablo? I heard it's the tallest mountain in the bay area and that you can see the skyline from the peak on clear days.
It's not easy to get to without a car. You can BART to Walnut Creek, but you're not super close to any trailhead.

Here are two trailheads that you can BART -> Bus -> walk to:

Mitchell Canyon Trail:
http://bahiker.com/eastbayhikes/mdsp/mcep.html
Transit & Trails : Find, Plan and Share Outdoor Adventures

Regency Trailhead
http://bahiker.com/eastbayhikes/mdsp/donnercanyon.html
Transit & Trails : Find, Plan and Share Outdoor Adventures

As you can see, from SF (Market St), you're looking at just a ~45 min BART ride. Then you'll have to time the bus to take your near either trailhead...which will still put you about a mile from each (walking from there). At least 1 hour 30-40 minutes total.

You could bring your bike (if you have one) on BART and then bike to/from the BART station to the trailheads (You'll need to lock them up somewhere there, so bring a good lock for your bike and hide it somewhere inconspicuous). That'd be the most convenient car-less option.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:29 AM

126 posts, read 123,854 times
walk the Embarcadero from AT&T park all the way around through Fisherman's Wharf, (go gawk at the barking sea lions at Pier 39) then continue through Ghirardelli Square then past Fort Mason, through the Marina and all the way to Crissy field for incredible views on GGB then backtrack to the Marina and go have a italian sandwich at Lucca. The excursion is free, gorgeous and then the sandwiches are killer

Old 05-28-2016, 10:08 AM

15 posts, read 15,979 times
Thanks for the replies! Even though this is OP's thread and not mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland