Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 06:47 PM

13,585 posts, read 15,695,572 times

Advertisements

Is it true that SF's Little Italy is being taken over by Chinatown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 08:02 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,998,778 times
No. There was always some overlap between the two neighbourhoods. that being said, there are far more Asians moving into San Francisco than Italian immigrants.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:27 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,020,900 times
Like most former Italian enclaves, North Beach is more of a dining/botique area, with a pseudo Italian theme. Most Italians are long gone and have assimilated and have no need for enclaves. My mom grew up there. Like many Northern Italians, she's blonde haired/blue eyed as the tribes intermingled with Germanic tribes who crossed the Alps. Many northern Italians went to SF, and their descendants don't really look like your Jersey Shore east coast types, as they are from further south, even as far as Sicily.

So you might cross paths with local Italians there who look and act more Anglo Saxon than other "little italy" hoods in the USA.

Old 08-20-2016, 04:11 PM

198 posts, read 211,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
No. There was always some overlap between the two neighbourhoods. that being said, there are far more Asians moving into San Francisco than Italian immigrants.

HAHA,,,the Chinese own SF....they were brought there in 19th century to work the railroads. SF was full of Chinese opium dens....lol

Old 08-20-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinePlovesME View Post
HAHA,,,the Chinese own SF....they were brought there in 19th century to work the railroads. SF was full of Chinese opium dens....lol
Not sure why you think that is funny? I am very well aware of the history of Chinese in San Francisco since I studied it in college and also happen to be Chinese.

Old 08-20-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Is it true that SF's Little Italy is being taken over by Chinatown?

Responded to you on LA board. Chinatown never took over Lil' Italy (aka North Beach)...they are butt up against each other. If my memory serves me correctly, cross Columbus St. from Little Italy and you are in Chinatown. I think that the North end in Boston is bigger than North Beach..and holding its own.
But as many have said on LA board....all the tourist flock to these places....I have heard that the best Italian food in SF is not in North Beach.
It is sad that this Old World stuff is disappearing.....traditions are disappearing, replaced (as another brought out)....but yuppy, millennials and whatever else.

Old 08-20-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Not sure why you think that is funny? I am very well aware of the history of Chinese in San Francisco since I studied it in college and also happen to be Chinese.
Get a grip.....stated that Chinese HAVE BEEN there a long time....hahahaha, not just started immigrating.
They are lucky also due to owning the property for many years and their property is quite valuable, only multi-millionaires can afford to buy into city now.

haha

Old 08-20-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Get a grip.....stated that Chinese HAVE BEEN there a long time....hahahaha, not just started immigrating.
They are lucky also due to owning the property for many years and their property is quite valuable, only multi-millionaires can afford to buy into city now.

haha
Yeah, opium dens ...Haha.

Old 08-20-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Yeah, opium dens ...Haha.

google it if you do not believe

Old 08-20-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
google it if you do not believe
I'm a native San Franciscan. I think you've ENTIRELY missed my point. I already know quite a bit about the history of Chinese in San Francisco as well as Asians in general (Japanese, Filipinos, and even native Americans) in California in general.

"LOL" and "hahaha" isn't appropriate for slavery, drug addiction, racism, and a complete loss of family/women/wives/children for the Chinese in San Francisco during that time. They also weren't allowed to own property, etc, etc....

Anyway..carry on. We are obviously not on the same page and there was something missed in your/my posts. I suspect that you do not fully get where I am coming from and that's alright. Lost in translation on the message board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland