Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 06:59 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,989,754 times

Advertisements

Upper management jobs are about experience and networking---not what school you went to. It's absolutely possible to go to a CSU or something similar and be just as successful as the next guy.

My husband is a senior director and didn't attend a "b/C" school. He attended college in another country and got a teaching degree. Later---much later--after working his way up the tech ladder he got an MBA. He learned most computer/tech applications on his own and on the job. Mind you, he's incredibly intelligent and was very ambitious.

So not only do you not need to attend a top tier school like Harvard/Stanford to get anywhere in the tech field (which is VAST and not limited to engineering or computer science types), you can work your way up the ladder in the tech field. Does this answer your question?

I have a friend for instance, that works for Apple as a technical program manager. She attended St Mary's College (not an Ivy League) and did not study tech related fields, but finance. If you need more data, you might peruse LinkedIn if possible, to actually see for yourself what type of schools/experience people have prior to becoming a C level manager/VP/upper level positions. I also know from some experience that many CEO's/CFO's/COO's.CEO's/CRO's...have not actually attended Ivy Leagues. At this level, what college you attended is entirely irrelevant. I've looked around a bit at some of the 'C' level folks at my husband's previous companies and that information if not even listed on their bios---just the work experience. Keep in mind, as we all try to answer your questions ...really good communication is also a factor in getting a leg up in the industry. Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited by clongirl; 02-21-2017 at 07:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 07:00 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
I'm not much closer to an answer.

I wish I were more specific- as when I talk about B and C students, perhaps I'm more in line with their high school grades- implying their college choices are limited to the B and C track, as some have alluded to on here.

It still appears from the data the majority of alumni are from top tier schools.

I get the networking aspect- but is a degree in a field unrelated to technology from a B/C school really going to get someone a management job at some of these agencies?
I don't see anyone starting off as a manager fresh out of college, regardless of the college. You need to build your experience first unless it's a manager in training program. Also, you can be a B student and have Black skin and be accepted to some colleges like UC Berkeley.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:51 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I don't see anyone starting off as a manager fresh out of college, regardless of the college. You need to build your experience first unless it's a manager in training program. Also, you can be a B student and have Black skin and be accepted to some colleges like UC Berkeley.
No you can't. Berkeley rejects almost everyone. Even black students with good grades and test scores. Or gives them spring semester admission. The UC system grants guaranteed admission to at least one campus if you are in the top 5-10% at your school to encourage economic diversity. Berkeley doesn't have many of these slots.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:21 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simboticus View Post

Amazon may have hired a bunch of MBA's from a top school, doesn't me they will last or be successful long term.

Quality people come from many walks of life, the cream will usually (eventually) rise to the top.
There's some truth to this. I've seen people with Harvard and Yale skate into academic jobs, but once they're in, they fizzle. One made no effort at all to meet the requirements for getting tenure, and was canned (she didn't even show up for some of her classes, let alone publish anything). Another one snoozed through his career after he got tenure. Employers expect this type of hire to be their star scholars, but in the past, it's turned out to be the opposite, in some cases.

Amazon hires a lot of UW graduates. Is that a "top school"? I was surprised recently to read that it's considered a "public Ivy", like Berkeley. I don't know when or how it achieved that status, but it's a far cry from Berkeley, IMO.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:01 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Amazon hires a lot of UW graduates. Is that a "top school"? I was surprised recently to read that it's considered a "public Ivy", like Berkeley. I don't know when or how it achieved that status, but it's a far cry from Berkeley, IMO.
Well, it's not surprising given that UW's location near Amazon's headquarters. Why not?

Old 02-22-2017, 02:42 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,786,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There's some truth to this. I've seen people with Harvard and Yale skate into academic jobs, but once they're in, they fizzle. One made no effort at all to meet the requirements for getting tenure, and was canned (she didn't even show up for some of her classes, let alone publish anything). Another one snoozed through his career after he got tenure. Employers expect this type of hire to be their star scholars, but in the past, it's turned out to be the opposite, in some cases.

Microsoft endowed a crap load of money in the 90's and 00's and the school recruited top level professors from other schools and voila!!
One of the best C.S programs in the country

Old 02-22-2017, 03:21 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,012,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
UC's do not have race based acceptence. It is against California law.

Once again, your Briebart/Milo inspired alt facts, are simply myth.

You clearly are not a California native.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:14 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, it's not surprising given that UW's location near Amazon's headquarters. Why not?
Exactly. They hire local talent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland