Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2008, 11:57 AM

357 posts, read 891,282 times

Advertisements

From your experience, is it more economical to rent a ZipCar or other shared car to make the weekly grocery store run, or to just have Safeway deliver in the City?

Advantages to one versus the other?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 06:30 PM

409 posts, read 1,830,607 times
I'd recommend walking to the store and not shopping at safeway. If you need to buy a ton of stuff take a cab home.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:53 PM

140 posts, read 429,650 times
I would say to strap on a back pack and carry a couple bags on each hand. Grocery stores are usually within blocks of your home. Just Yelp the address you are looking at.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:41 PM

7 posts, read 17,459 times
Safeway shopping is sketchy. I buy disposables and some staples from them but never produce, meat or fish. I do have those things delivered about once a month or so, and after each time I use their service, they send me a free coupon for my next delivary.

I do my other shopping at the stores in my neighborhood. I am fortunate to have Andronicos about 8 blocks from me, then there's the produce store for quality vegetables and fruit at a reasonable price. I carry the stuff home and/or ride the bus a few blocks.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:48 PM

495 posts, read 1,831,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiU08 View Post
From your experience, is it more economical to rent a ZipCar or other shared car to make the weekly grocery store run, or to just have Safeway deliver in the City?

Thanks.
ZipCar and shop at Rainbow Grocery, Whole Foods or a local grocer in your neighborhood. Safeway is toxic. Just my opinion.

Advantages to ZipCar is you're still helping the environment, you can rent the car in 2 hour, 4 hour or longer blocks. You can run other errands while you have the car that would be a pain in the ass if you had to hail a cab or take MUNI.

I grew up in the City, owned cars that I could easily park due to the neighborhoods I lived in. Eventually I got rid of the car and started using Citycarshare about 2x per month. Came in handy, was economical and I no longer had to worry about $40 street cleaning tickets when I forgot to move the car.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:00 PM

175 posts, read 795,668 times
Default Safeway

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiU08 View Post

Thanks.
I've used Safeway Delivery for years. If you put a note about what you expect on the items you order I've had NO problems in all the years I've shopped there. If you did have one they'll take it back and credit you on the spot. I've never had to pay for delivery either. There is always some free delivery code floating around on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland