Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2019, 06:51 AM

21,789 posts, read 16,456,130 times

Advertisements

Curious story:
https://www.businessinsider.com/san-...wnhome-2019-10
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2019, 10:01 AM

10,608 posts, read 5,685,348 times
As a matter of principle, I won't click on a link to anything at www.businessinsider.com because that website was started by & is still owned by disgraced former Wall St. analyst Henry Bodlgett who is now permanently banned from the securities industry. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Blodget

Last edited by RationalExpectations; 11-03-2019 at 11:03 AM..

Old 11-03-2019, 10:54 AM

21,789 posts, read 16,456,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
As a matter of principle, I won't click on a link to anything at www.businessinsider.com because that website was started by & is still owned by disgraced former Wall St. analyst Henry Bodlgett who is now permanently banned from the securities industry. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Blodget
Good news for you! You’re not required to click on every link in order to be a site user!

But thanks for the deeply relevant post!

Old 11-03-2019, 11:30 AM

24,413 posts, read 27,069,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post

The choices made during this remodel were poor in my opinion and there is no coherent theme/story/mood. They could have gone mostly modern and left some historic attributes. They could have gone rustic and made some modern attributes. Some rooms look like nothing was changed and other rooms have glossy cabinets... no flow, I don't know who designed this, but it wouldn't be surprising if it was a tech executive making the final decisions.

Old 11-03-2019, 11:52 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,252,197 times
Personally, if I had that much money I wouldn't want to live that close to Dolores Park. Unfortunate about the zoning restraints, especially since it looks like it'd be better served for the community than residences, but that's SF for ya.

Old 11-03-2019, 08:01 PM

37,159 posts, read 42,313,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The choices made during this remodel were poor in my opinion and there is no coherent theme/story/mood. They could have gone mostly modern and left some historic attributes. They could have gone rustic and made some modern attributes. Some rooms look like nothing was changed and other rooms have glossy cabinets... no flow, I don't know who designed this, but it wouldn't be surprising if it was a tech executive making the final decisions.
I agree. While looking through the photos I kept asking myself what is this space for? and didn't see anything that looked like a home. Even the bathroom and kitchen look like some weird contractor specials that are not at all comfortable areas to be in.

While I enjoy the brick and woodwork I'd have broken this up into smaller spaces if I were converting it into residential units. 5000+sq ft of open space isn't something most people want to live. I'd live in a converted church, if it was done up in a nice, historical and practical way. That is NOT this issue with this.

Old 11-04-2019, 07:10 AM

26,814 posts, read 26,960,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
But thanks for the deeply relevant post!
Thanks for my laugh of the day.

Old 11-04-2019, 10:42 AM

36,682 posts, read 67,673,024 times
The layout is really weird and not very inviting imo. I dont like the attempt to ma a ke it look like a warehouse loft inside.

Old 11-04-2019, 12:52 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,252,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I agree. While looking through the photos I kept asking myself what is this space for? and didn't see anything that looked like a home. Even the bathroom and kitchen look like some weird contractor specials that are not at all comfortable areas to be in.

While I enjoy the brick and woodwork I'd have broken this up into smaller spaces if I were converting it into residential units. 5000+sq ft of open space isn't something most people want to live. I'd live in a converted church, if it was done up in a nice, historical and practical way. That is NOT this issue with this.
I read a comment from the architect and he said he wanted to keep them very open so that the buyers would have space to customize them how they saw fit. But I think ultimately that created a lot of problems for potential buyers since many likely would rather be able to move right in (especially when dropping that much dough). Also, a lot of people need help visualizing a space, hence why many homes get staged. I agree with both you and BMW on this though, the space is huge and disjointed.

Old 11-07-2019, 12:10 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,507,072 times
Yuck. It lacks cohesion, and even the exterior doesn't seem inviting for a residential property. The property would have worked better had they taken the time to convert it live/work loft space. The units would have been snatched up in a hurry, even with the seemingly random design aesthetic that was used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland