Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 01:41 PM

175 posts, read 183,349 times

Advertisements

I've been interviewing for a position in Menlo Park... but I feel this salary is still not enough.

housing is absolutely terrible in that area. no wonder Google engineers live in their mini vans.

if you had the chance to make 140k + bonus and work in Menlo Park or 120k in the Midwest, which one would u choose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 01:57 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,990,778 times
Just move back to Texas or the Midwest. All of your prior and very recent posts suggest that you don’t like it in California anyway.

Last edited by clongirl; 08-22-2019 at 02:11 PM..

Old 08-22-2019, 02:15 PM

830 posts, read 487,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBound19 View Post
if you had the chance to make 140k + bonus and work in Menlo Park or 120k in the Midwest, which one would u choose?
There are too many considerations to be taken into account when answering that question for anyone's answer to be very meaningful.

If you're just asking about the relative compensation of the two positions taking into account the differences in cost of living, you'd be much better off with the $120k in the Midwest.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:23 PM

1,336 posts, read 928,603 times
I would say NO NO NO. Unless your bonus is in the range of doubling your 140K, you will be in a crap rental, never saving much money. Stay away from the Bay area unless your total family comp is in the 250K range or more. At the minimum.

It's not just rent. California will take bites out of every dollar. Gas tax, sales tax, straw tax, plastic tax, property tax, taxes on taxes, breathing tax, state income tax, then everything is more expensive, food to booze to McDonalds. Go in with eyes wide open and expectations low about what is left after that comp offer.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:35 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times
Quote:
I've been interviewing for a position in Menlo Park... but I feel this salary is still not enough.

housing is absolutely terrible in that area. no wonder Google engineers live in their mini vans.

Why are you even interviewing, given that you've whinged endlessly about hating the state? Just grab your U-haul and move to Tennessee, Texas, New Hampshire, wherever you want to go.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:37 PM

70 posts, read 56,271 times
Quote:

100% Midwest. I make more than 140k + bonus as a SWE and I'm in the Boston area.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:47 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times
Quote:
Neither.

But $140k is subpar. Everybody gets a bonus, so discount that. Did they offer any RSUs?

Old 08-22-2019, 09:09 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,756,001 times
Quote:

You already convinced yourself (but not anyone else) that you can't make it unless you make $150k in LA. What makes you think Menlo Park is any different?

If it's not enough you'll have to spend less than $1000 a month eating...

On second thought you'll have plenty of money when you sell the condo in Maui.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...l#post55718393

You must have paid cash for it. Because you said you have no debt...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...y-no-debt.html

Maybe the rent money from your condo will pay for your food in CA? Oh wait, your condo isn't rented yet.

Last edited by Vic Romano; 08-22-2019 at 10:13 PM..

Old 08-22-2019, 10:59 PM

260 posts, read 129,681 times
Quote:

Google engineers don't live in their "mini vans". One guy made headlines a couple of years ago, because he lived in his car for a few months and saved $100K for a down payment on a home. A few years ago there were some problems near Google with homeless camps and vans along the street, and it returned this year for a few months, but it wasn't engineers. It's the homeless who have been displaced because of rising rents.

Google is planning to build 6600 homes, 20% of them affordable, and retail and office space as part of the North Bayshore development.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:07 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,990,778 times
Quote:
You sound bitter. Might want to peace out of CA, like to a 1st world state for starters.
You are very defensive.

Considering you are “Texasbound”, why are you whining/complaining about this state? If you believe that California is making you miserable , then it’s perfectly fine to leave for greener pastures. Whining and deflecting is just sad and pointless.

Your previous posts suggest that you are just unhappy.

I don’t need to leave, btw. I have no meaningful complaints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland