Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 03:02 AM

1 posts, read 10,020 times

Advertisements

I grew up in FC beginning in 1973 when I was five, throughout my teenage years. I went to Bowditch Middle School. While it is true that FC was considered a "comfortable" suburb, there was definitely a teenage sub-culture born of part boredom, lack of parental involvement due to the beginning of the two parent working households (more latchkey kids), and the fact that a large part of the population were kids about the same age living within a small geographic location. Since the town was so new, many families with small children moved in. I know because I was part of that sub culture. I would say that the party scenes, both house parties when parents are away and "field" parties, are quite accurate as well as the scenes showing the group of kids walking in an empty field, just hanging out together. FC was surrounded by empty fields and was not quite "connected" to San Mateo and the surrounding suburbs yet. Quite nostaligic for me.

I saw Over The Edge in the early eighties when I was in the rebellious stage and it made a big impact on me. I understand that icons such as Kurt Cobain were also impacted by the movie (he wrote about it in his now publicized journal). I just watched it again after all these years which prompted my internet search and finding this blog. I had not idea until tonight that the movie was based on my hometown!

Since the film was made in 1978, the kids depicted in the movie were 3 - 5 years older than me so I don't have recollection of the events that inspired the movie. According to the producers, the scenes of destruction were inflated and what actually happened was a loud boisterous protest at the parent meeting held in the school. There was no actual blowing up of cars, etc.

If you are interested I suggest you rent the movie from NetFlix which has a very detailed director's cut option that lets you listen to the director's commentory while the movie is playing. They comment on the various scenes and mention the events in FC quite frequently throughout the film.

They stated that, back then, FC had the most juvenile crime incidents of any other "equivalent" community in the nation. Or was it California? Apparently they interviewed all the kids and people involved before filming the movie. They got kind of philosophical and commented on how even the "newness" of the environment and architecture contributed to the evolvement of the teenage sub culture since the kids had not past historical reference (there is nothing older than them) and the town just kind of hangs out there in time. Apparently they wanted to film the movie in FC using the real kids but CA child labor laws precluded this. They mention a woman by the name of Donna (no last name is given) who was a child psychologist working in the FC recreation center during the time these events took place. The cast role of the recreation director in the movie is supposed to represent this real person. You may want to contact the FC rec and see if you can get her contact information still.

Please let me know how your research turns out. Since I spent most of my life in FC and still live in the surrounding area, I would be interested in getting a copy of your paper just for personal interest. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 9,956 times
Default Wasn't there, but watched the movie.

Hi,
I realize this thread is getting quite old by now, but I felt like responding any way.
I just finished watching the DVD of Over the Edge.
According to the audio commentary by the directer, producer and two screenwriters, (including Charlie Haas, who wrote the original article the movie was based on) most of the events in the movie did happen. This is not so say that the information they provided is factual, just that the creaters of the movie are saying it is.
They make plenty of references back to the events at Foster City, but made sure to note that the scene in which the kids trash the parking lot of the junior high school during the town meeting was fairly overdone for entertainment purposes. Charlie says that in the original history, the kids do storm the school, but instead they confront the grown-ups verbally. There was very little property damage in Foster City that night.
They also said that the movie only focused on those few trouble-making kids and did not show the majority of the the other teenage residents.
More than likely, the creaters chose to exploit the presence of high teenage crime which was featured in the original article.
I didn't grow up anywhere near California (or Colorado, for that matter) and wasn't born until 1977 so I couldn't offer any personal insight.
This movie and the story just intrigued me, possibly because of my upbringing- being a "latch-key kid" in an upper-middle class neighborhood who tended to raise hell because of lack of parental supervision.
I recommend the movie to anyone. The commentary also provides some amusing facts about Matt Dillon's early days.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:48 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysingsthblus View Post
I recommend the movie to anyone. The commentary also provides some amusing facts about Matt Dillon's early days.
Not too long ago I bought the DVD. It was one of my favorite movies when it first came out on HBO in the early 80's. Funny thing is I didn't even remember that Matt Dillon was in it. I had it my memory that the character he played was a minor one. It was interesting to see that he played a larger role than I remembered and the commentary about him was indeed very entertaining.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:36 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
I lived across the lagoon from where this happened, I was in my mid teens and went to the high school when all this was going on... I had several friends in FC, and while we were "rambunctious" to say the least this episode didn't make much of a splash with us, in fact I was surprised they made a movie of it since it didn't seem like a big deal.
Hmmm, maybe it was just the young minds perception of what was a big deal?
As for parties, Ohhh boy did we have some house parties! We used to ride our dirt bikes over to FC since most of it was fields and open land and just hang out at friends houses or in the fields....Boy does this take me back in time!!!

Last edited by jimj; 08-14-2007 at 12:45 PM..

Old 11-13-2007, 01:49 PM

2 posts, read 19,675 times
Default growing up in Foster City

When I moved to Foster city there were about 25 house there,and yes I was at the rec center when the people for the movie Over the Edge come to talk to the rec leader Donna about us kids at the time,,I have not thought about this movie or that time in my life in almost thirty years,I went to all the school in Foster City...wow crazy times relived...

Old 11-14-2007, 10:26 AM

2 posts, read 19,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashers View Post
When I moved to Foster city there were about 25 house there,and yes I was at the rec center when the people for the movie Over the Edge come to talk to the rec leader Donna about us kids at the time,,I have not thought about this movie or that time in my life in almost thirty years,I went to all the school in Foster City...wow crazy times relived...
P.S I played for the bears rugy team in Foster City...

Old 01-03-2008, 02:42 PM

2 posts, read 19,557 times
What a trip stumbling across this message board so long after the thread started. I have a buddy, Tom M., who is completely obsessed by this movie. I bet I know some of the FC'ers that have posted on this thread. What's up homies! Let's go to the ditch and burn one!

I was born in San Mateo, but lived in FC from 1968 to probably the mid-90's or so. I went to Bowditch, and actually only lived a few blocks from the school. As a previous poster mentioned, a lot of kids went on the Hillsdale High School, but the smart ones went to San Mateo - Hillsdale was for wussies!

I also take exception to what another poster wrote: that the main character Dillon played was based on Carl Willat. I don't recall Carl, but always thought Dillon's character was based on Mario V.. However, I could be wrong, as I was a couple of years younger than the people the movie's about.

I can remember going to the teen center, probably where all of the people the movie is based on used to hang out, and seeing Mario playing pool with an unlit cigarette hanging from his mouth, as smoking was not allowed. I also remember as a little kid (probably 7 or so) being afraid to walk through a couple of parks at night. Now looking back, I don't think things were actually that bad... just a bunch of bored stoner kids with nothing to do but cause trouble.

Now that this movie is on DVD I'm going to have to buy it, as I haven't seen it in probably over 20 years or more.

Right on the right on, not much to really add, but thought I would post to reminisce with some old FC locals.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:00 PM

2 posts, read 19,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wero View Post
What a trip stumbling across this message board so long after the thread started. I have a buddy, Tom M., who is completely obsessed by this movie. I bet I know some of the FC'ers that have posted on this thread. What's up homies! Let's go to the ditch and burn one!

I was born in San Mateo, but lived in FC from 1968 to probably the mid-90's or so. I went to Bowditch, and actually only lived a few blocks from the school. As a previous poster mentioned, a lot of kids went on the Hillsdale High School, but the smart ones went to San Mateo - Hillsdale was for wussies!

I also take exception to what another poster wrote: that the main character Dillon played was based on Carl Willat. I don't recall Carl, but always thought Dillon's character was based on Mario V.. However, I could be wrong, as I was a couple of years younger than the people the movie's about.

I can remember going to the teen center, probably where all of the people the movie is based on used to hang out, and seeing Mario playing pool with an unlit cigarette hanging from his mouth, as smoking was not allowed. I also remember as a little kid (probably 7 or so) being afraid to walk through a couple of parks at night. Now looking back, I don't think things were actually that bad... just a bunch of bored stoner kids with nothing to do but cause trouble.

Now that this movie is on DVD I'm going to have to buy it, as I haven't seen it in probably over 20 years or more.

Right on the right on, not much to really add, but thought I would post to reminisce with some old FC locals.
**Edited to add a little wink ;^) about the rips on Hillsdale.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:33 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Ya, I remember when the San Mateo high guys came over to Hillsdale thinking they'd teach us a thing or two..... Pity most had to be carried back home again..... We had a real bad bunch of football players and seniors back then.
I've got to find that DVD though, it would be interesting to show my son what went on around us when we were his age.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:14 AM

1 posts, read 9,552 times
Default Born and Raised in FC

I was watching this movie and decided to see what I could find on the internet about it and hear I am.

WoW! Born in FC in 1971. Didn't go to Bowditch, but did go to Hillsdale, and other posts are correct... we were a bunch of idiots, but not as bad as Aaragon!... and there were some real hooligans in that school.

Somebody born in the 60's would have a much better recollection of what happened here in the 70s than I would have, but that move is NOT the Foster City I knew. I don't know if it was to much drugs or just that I was rather sheltered, but I don't remember any of this. Sure there were rebellious teenagers, but not like the ones depicted in the movie. I took cars for joy rids, and stole alcohol, but again, that was mid to late 80s. In the 70s we were riding our bikes in the open fields, building underground forts and fishing for mud suckers in the lagoons. Actually the Mayor of Foster City was arrested for steeling cigarettes from a local store the same day I was arrested for steeling booze. I know a few people who are part of the City Council; I will ask them about some of this history.

I remember the jelly fish epedemic of '78; they infested the lagoons. They still do fire works over the water at Leo J. Ryan Park. Now Foster City is probably known for creating the original Soccer Moms... the city is all about AYSO Soccer.

Ironically I am living in Foster City again and all those fields are gone. The only field left is being considered for the first Foster City High School. I am gonna die here and they are gonna bury me in the last plot of dirt available in Foster City.

Incidentally, Matt Dillon had a brilliant performance and 'mashers' does not represent the grammar or writing skills of the youth who were edjumecated in these parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland