Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 11:42 PM

110 posts, read 377,007 times

Advertisements

The crime in the tendernob probably depends on what the situation is in the Tenderloin. It's a little less ghetto than it was back then but definitely do not try to bring a car unless you have a space to park it. That area is one of my favorites sections of San Francisco because of its urban density and energy. Parking there is horrendous and the tickets come fast. If you've lived in NYC then you shouldn't have a problem with safety in that neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 02:08 AM

11 posts, read 35,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer Eldritch View Post
The crime in the tendernob probably depends on what the situation is in the Tenderloin. It's a little less ghetto than it was back then but definitely do not try to bring a car unless you have a space to park it. That area is one of my favorites sections of San Francisco because of its urban density and energy. Parking there is horrendous and the tickets come fast. If you've lived in NYC then you shouldn't have a problem with safety in that neighborhood.
Tendernob? I've never heard it referred to as that before. If it's anything like the ternderloin I'm totally not interested!

I thought the area was supposed to be nice-- is there a particular street where LNH becomes more like the 'loin than it is like NH?

Old 07-12-2008, 02:30 AM

409 posts, read 1,830,607 times
645 Bush is at the bottom of Nob Hill. The Tenderloin is a good 4-5 blocks away and with the geography/streets in between it's really a different area. The immediate area at 645 Bush is actually very nice, the Ritz Carlton is one block up on Pine and stockton.

There is one building on that block that is rather rundown and I've seen ads for apartments there that are cheaper than the rest of the neighborhood. It's a very large blue building and I've never been inside but from the outside can tell you it's probably nothing special. The rest of the neighborhood is much better, basically there's just this one building and a few others nearby that have not been gentrified in the past 20 years and possibly house transitional housing, disabled people and the like.

If it's any other building on that block you're likely ok. Pictures should be provided by anyone renting over the internet to someone site-unseen. The apartments in that neighborhood (old buildings, post-1906 earthquake construction) are typically compact, wood floors, bay windows. Small but livable and strong.

The area is ok for parking if you're not trying to use your car everyday. There is residential permit parking available which makes leaving your car on the street possible. Without a permit or a garage don't try it for even a week. This is not an exaggeration. To qualify for the permit you must register your car at that address and for some people that's a problem.

In terms of location you probably don't need a car a the area is very central. You are literally 5 minutes walk from the financial district. There is good street life, restaurants, bars, dry cleaners and all that very nearby. There are markets on every block typically. The area is definitely safe day and night. If someone breaks into your car you had something visible that should not have been. If it happens 7 times and you're not leaving stuff on the seat well you've go a stalker!

Anyway, it's a good area but if it's too cheap for the neighborhood there's probably a reason. Make sure to get a look at some pictures or be prepared to live in a fairly scuzzy building in a rather nice area.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:02 PM

110 posts, read 377,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernCalifornia View Post
If someone breaks into your car you had something visible that should not have been. If it happens 7 times and you're not leaving stuff on the seat well you've go a stalker!
I think it was probably a couple of things. It was back in 1992-94 and so I think things were slightly more sketchy back then. Also, at the time I had the number two most stolen car in America. For some reason car thieves had a woody for it. The second time it got it broken into I put a note on the window explaining that there was nothing in the car. That didn't help and people kept breaking into it. There was never anything valuable in view and the stereo had already been stolen. I decided not to fix the wing window because it would just get broken again. Then they broke the other wing window because they didn't realize that there was already a broken wing window on the other side. At that point I just left all the doors unlocked so thieves could just rummage around in the car and then go on their way. After that I had the problem of the crack ***** turning tricks in the car (no joke). One day I went to the car and saw that the trunk lock had been damaged with a screwdriver in an attempt to break into it. As a result I could no longer open the trunk. I got the trunk lock fixed and left it open so people wouldn't break it again. After that someone vandalized the trunk lock from the inside. Why? I don't know. One time late at night I looked out my apartment window and saw someone's legs protruding from the door of my car. They were probably looking under the seat. I yelled at them and they left. Another time a doorman saw someone breaking into my car and called the police. The person was arrested and the police towed my car. I asked them why they towed my car as it was parked legally. They explained that they did not want to be liable in case the car was stolen or broken into again because of the broken window. I had to take a day off work to go to a tow hearing in order to get the tow charges refunded. At least they were only $170.00 back then. Now it's over $300.00. These days I have a garage but I certainly paid my dues.

Last edited by Palmer Eldritch; 07-12-2008 at 01:10 PM..

Old 07-12-2008, 01:29 PM

11 posts, read 35,409 times
Northern~ thank you, that's so helpful. The building is not blue-- it's brick with white accents, 5 windows across, and three trees in front. A smallish studio (about 400 sq feet) is $1400 with most utilities included. That's not too cheap, is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland