Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2009, 05:28 PM

1 posts, read 10,516 times

Advertisements

We will be driving from San Francisco to LA and only have two days. We want to pick one or two places to stop along the way. What are some must sees along this stretch of the road. We would like to stay somewhere about 1/2 way overnight. Also, any good beach side restaurant/bars. Something fairly casual.

Has anyone been to the Monterey Scottish GAmes & Celtic Festival...What is this like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 06:11 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,247,614 times
If you stay on the coast the nicest spots to stay the night are in the Monterey/Carmel area. Great restaurants, beautiful area. You can stop at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk on the way. Also some nice beaches. 17-mile drive from Pacific Grove to Carmel is worth the few bucks they charge you to travel it. You could drive on to Cambria the first day, which is closer to halfway but I am partial to the Carmel area for dinner lodging. Or spit the difference and stay at some really nice places in Big Sur. The drive from Carmel to Cambria is about the most beautiful in the world (the whole Big Sur area) so definitely do this during daylight hours. Hearst Castle is near Cambria and definitely worth a tour. Lots of wineries in the SLO - Santa Barbara area. To me the coastal drive from Santa Barbara to Malibu is a lot of the same and not the most spectacular. Malibu to Santa Monica is pretty nice.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:14 PM

19 posts, read 50,485 times
San Luis Obispo is a great place and the water front is like a little fishermans wharf. Very nice place and many hotels. Hearst Castle and Morro bay are near by.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:24 PM

88 posts, read 251,959 times
Make sure when you hit Big Sur to stop off at Julia Pfeiffer Burns state park. Really short hike (5 or so minutes) takes you to a waterfall that opens out into the Pacific.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:30 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,286,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pava View Post
We will be driving from San Francisco to LA and only have two days. We want to pick one or two places to stop along the way. What are some must sees along this stretch of the road. We would like to stay somewhere about 1/2 way overnight. Also, any good beach side restaurant/bars. Something fairly casual.

Has anyone been to the Monterey Scottish GAmes & Celtic Festival...What is this like?
Just a warning about taking Rte 1 -- it's been quite a few years since we've done it, but when we did it, it was a very hard trip. From Carmel to Big Sur there were no gas stations From Big Sur to San Simeon (which was fun to go through the Hearst Castle) one gas station. The total is about 100 miles and about 3 hours. And on that trip, you are trapped -- there is no way off Route 1.

It's a very twisty and windy road a lot of the time and if anyone has a tendency to get carsick -- they will do it on route 1. I did it, and I was driving...

But there are some magnificent views.

Scottish games are fun. My favorite was the caber toss. These big guys try to flip a log of basically half the length of a standard telephone pole.... and see how far they can toss it. Pretty amazing.

Some of the games have tents for the different septs, or clans. They sometimes sell clan stuff, or give out handouts on the different names in each clan. Kind of fascinating... my husband is of Scottish/Irish descent, so it was fun for me to get an idea of where the Clan Campbell came from, so I had an idea of where to look when I traced his side back there...

Old 06-04-2009, 12:23 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,247,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
From Carmel to Big Sur there were no gas stations.
Well, that is only 26 miles!

Old 06-05-2009, 06:23 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,073,730 times
years ago, we took a family trip up/down highway 1....Mom wanted to stop at long-established Nepenthe, near Big Sur, for lunch...it's a well-known spot famous for great views from the back patio and casual, healthy food.....

we knew we were in the Big Sur area, so when two kitchen employees got into a fight and it spilled out onto the patio with knives drawn, we thought, "oh well, just another day at Nepenthe"....

Nepenthe Restaurant, Big Sur, California

it will take time to drive the entire section of Route 1, so budget your time if you plan to drive the entire length of it....

Old 06-05-2009, 08:40 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,286,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizbin View Post
Well, that is only 26 miles!
We were coming up from San Simeon, and by that time I was TOTALLY green and my mom can't drive a stick, so I couldn't make her drive ....

That had to be the longest 26 miles in history. It felt like 400....

Old 06-06-2009, 10:15 PM

34 posts, read 166,478 times
The drive between SF and Monterey is absolutely beautiful. However, if you are driving all the way to LA, it's probably best to get further South before considering lodging for the night. Think about stopping in Big Sur around lunch time and then heading South from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland