Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2009, 11:26 AM

2 posts, read 15,991 times

Advertisements

I am currently apartment-hunting in SF. After viewing 20+ apartments in the past week, I have to say that there are a ton of crappy overpriced units out there (recession be damned)-- unless I just have a skewed sense of SF rent costs. I have been looking at 1-bedrooms with a max budget of $1900 (including utilities). I finally narrowed it down to two units and would appreciate some input.

Apartment #1 @ Jackson and Leavenworth (Nob Hill)

PROS
- 1 mile from work
- Nice views of Golden Gate Bridge and Bay
- Gas stove
- On-site building manager
- Common roofdeck
- Corner unit, top floor

CONS
- Small closets
- Pretty small apartment in general/ living room will probably be cramped with dining table and bikes
- No entry-way to put bikes/ requires walking up three flights with bikes
- Small kitchen, no dishwasher

#2 @ Sutter and Octavia

PROS
- Patio with western exposure
- Large kitchen with room for dining table, freeing living room for bikes
- Large bedroom and living room
- Dishwasher

CONS
- 1.7 mile from work
- Electric stove
- Window in bedroom faces onto a fire-escape--no screens-- definitely a possibility if someone next door wants to climb in through the window.
- No on-site building manager
- Second floor: unit above... but easy to carry up bikes

Both units are going for the same rent. Basically I think it comes down to more space vs. nice views, on-site management, and slightly shorter commute. Although I'm wondering if there is a huge safety/sketch factor discrepancy between those two locations (Lower Pac Heights vs. Nob Hill)?

Also, if units are going for the same rent, I am thinking about asking for $300 off the listed price-- esp. in these times. Thoughts?

Last edited by urbanitex; 07-30-2009 at 11:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 12:17 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,506,468 times
I definitely prefer Lower Pacific Heights because I think its less stuffy and more vibrant than Nob Hill.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:18 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,236,154 times
Sutter and Octavia is kinda Japantown/Cathedral Hill, not Lower Pacific Heights. As far as safety goes, Both locations are a few blocks north of some sketchy neighborhoods. Nob hill is above the Tenderloin, and Japantown is above the projects in the Fillmore. The Octavia apartment is a little closer to the sketchiness than the Jackson one (which is actually about on the edge of Nob Hill and Russian Hill), but I wouldn't worry, they're both nice areas.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:09 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,198 times
Nob Hill is much nicer, but it is also a lot more expensive.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:43 AM

70 posts, read 190,957 times
The Nob Hill apartment sounds like it migh be a little nicer. But, I'm a big fan of lower pac heights/jtown.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:12 AM

802 posts, read 2,264,946 times
Another pro for the Lower Pac Heights apartment is that there are three MUNI lines (2, 3, and 4) running front of it (though you'll need to go walk down a block to Post for inbound buses).

Old 08-02-2009, 07:30 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,009,296 times
I'd go with Sutter and Octavia...sounds like a better deal overall.
by the way, what's the deal with the common roof deck on the Nob Hill unit?
..how much is it used? Mellow or raging party zone?
Didn't you say that the unit is on the top floor? Can you sleep through a noisy party above your head?
Just food for thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland