Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 05:23 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,254,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
And don't forget this:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...angeles-7.html

Perhaps Mr. Fantastic is trying to restart the Klan in OC....
Calling Crenshaw a zoo is considered racist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 11:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,295 times
I'm new here, just researching Oakland since I'm on the verge of buying a home there. Mr. Fantastic, I don't know much about you, but your activity here is impressive. It took me a long time just to read through these posts, so I can only imagine how many hours you've spent here. I suspect I'm just a "kid" compared to you since I'm still in my 20s, so maybe my words won't carry much weight. But I believe in full disclosure. All I wanted to say is this:

I'm originally from Texas. I was baptized at an early age, but had some problems with my faith when I realized that a lot of the boys in my church were just there to try to pick up chicks. I went to the east coast for college, which scared me because I ended up in an a very "urban" town with a very "dangerous" reputation, with lots of crime compared to the nice, rural community where I grew up. But I did it because it was my best opportunity to continue playing football at the collegiate level.

Surprisingly, it was there that I started going to church again. Fast forward to the last couple of years, where I lived in Lagunitas for a year (as an assistant coach) and then in Oakland now (again as an assistant coach). It's in Oakland, this supposed bastion of crime-infested, liberal heathenism, where I have again truly found my place with God once again.

It's quite simple. I was reminded once again that we are all God's children - criminals and saints alike. Lagunitas was wonderful, peaceful, and idyllic. Oakland has had its ups and downs for me. But I choose Oakland, for three reasons.

First, as a Christian, I'm just not that scared any more. I grew up being scared of bad neighborhoods because I heard all this stuff about them. But then I lived in one, and I came out after 5 years quite healthy and unscathed. God's way of telling me that, if I truly believe in Him, I don't have to be scared of anything.

Second, on a more practical level, I found a nice place in Piedmont where my wife and son can be very happy. It's by far the best school district I've discovered in the Bay Area, in my humble young opinion. While I actually thought the schools in Marin were quite good, I just didn't find anything there that I liked better than Piedmont or Montclair.

Third, it's a personal choice. I just didn't find much in the way of nightlife in Marin that I've liked as much as Oakland. There's a tradeoff - better nightlife usually means more crime, for whatever reason, and although as a kid I was scared of the crime, now that I'm in my 20s, I know one thing. With God at my side, I really fear nothing. So I can enjoy the nightlife of Oakland, Berkeley, and SF, the parks and easy access to Diablo and elsewhere, and still have the best high school north of highway 92 for my child.

But certainly, I plan to visit Marin, because there are some great bike trails.

God Bless.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:29 PM

115 posts, read 568,089 times
Marin county is more conservative than Alameda county. Alameda county is more liberal in terms of who lives there.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:19 PM

334 posts, read 1,067,887 times
Yes that is true. The bay area tea party/patriot organization is headquartered in Marin County....which actually really surprised me...since I always thought Marin was known for being the bastion of limo liberals.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BourneAgain View Post
I'm new here, just researching Oakland since I'm on the verge of buying a home there. Mr. Fantastic, I don't know much about you, but your activity here is impressive. It took me a long time just to read through these posts, so I can only imagine how many hours you've spent here. I suspect I'm just a "kid" compared to you since I'm still in my 20s, so maybe my words won't carry much weight. But I believe in full disclosure. All I wanted to say is this:

I'm originally from Texas. I was baptized at an early age, but had some problems with my faith when I realized that a lot of the boys in my church were just there to try to pick up chicks. I went to the east coast for college, which scared me because I ended up in an a very "urban" town with a very "dangerous" reputation, with lots of crime compared to the nice, rural community where I grew up. But I did it because it was my best opportunity to continue playing football at the collegiate level.

Surprisingly, it was there that I started going to church again. Fast forward to the last couple of years, where I lived in Lagunitas for a year (as an assistant coach) and then in Oakland now (again as an assistant coach). It's in Oakland, this supposed bastion of crime-infested, liberal heathenism, where I have again truly found my place with God once again.

It's quite simple. I was reminded once again that we are all God's children - criminals and saints alike. Lagunitas was wonderful, peaceful, and idyllic. Oakland has had its ups and downs for me. But I choose Oakland, for three reasons.

First, as a Christian, I'm just not that scared any more. I grew up being scared of bad neighborhoods because I heard all this stuff about them. But then I lived in one, and I came out after 5 years quite healthy and unscathed. God's way of telling me that, if I truly believe in Him, I don't have to be scared of anything.

Second, on a more practical level, I found a nice place in Piedmont where my wife and son can be very happy. It's by far the best school district I've discovered in the Bay Area, in my humble young opinion. While I actually thought the schools in Marin were quite good, I just didn't find anything there that I liked better than Piedmont or Montclair.

Third, it's a personal choice. I just didn't find much in the way of nightlife in Marin that I've liked as much as Oakland. There's a tradeoff - better nightlife usually means more crime, for whatever reason, and although as a kid I was scared of the crime, now that I'm in my 20s, I know one thing. With God at my side, I really fear nothing. So I can enjoy the nightlife of Oakland, Berkeley, and SF, the parks and easy access to Diablo and elsewhere, and still have the best high school north of highway 92 for my child.

But certainly, I plan to visit Marin, because there are some great bike trails.

God Bless.
Passive aggressiveness isn't your friend. Thanks for the blessing.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:00 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,364,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batransplant View Post
Yes that is true. The bay area tea party/patriot organization is headquartered in Marin County....which actually really surprised me...since I always thought Marin was known for being the bastion of limo liberals.
Well, Michael Savage the right wing talk radio host lives in Marin...go figure.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:38 AM

334 posts, read 1,067,887 times
I think people in Marin are likely socially liberal, but fiscal conservatives, especially the people moving in there now, who can afford to spend 2MM on a house. But when it comes to the environment, they will use their money and influence to keep Marin basically one big giant park/country club for the few people who live there (and keep the cost of real estate high due to the anti development policies) so while seeming like a liberal agenda, it is actually a back handed conservative agenda to maintain their home values.

Have you ever read the comments in the Marin Independent Journal? You would think everyone in Marin was actually from Orange County, based on the views of many forum posters. Its really shocking.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:50 AM

373 posts, read 1,171,180 times
Marin county is a weird place. It's full of wealth, but it looks like a typical non-descript middle-class suburban area. There are some pockets of uniqueness and decent character, but that's the exception.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batransplant View Post
Have you ever read the comments in the Marin Independent Journal? You would think everyone in Marin was actually from Orange County, based on the views of many forum posters. Its really shocking.
I own a vacation home in Marin and 2 of my neighbors are also OC home owners.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:55 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,129,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinamen View Post
Marin county is more conservative than Alameda county. Alameda county is more liberal in terms of who lives there.
Guess the rich transplants kicked all the hippies out EH?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland