Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 5,002 times

Advertisements

What is the "yuppie" stereotype in SF? I know that many resent the presence of yuppies in SF, but I'm curious who falls into that stereotype.

Anyone who's young and enjoys relatively high income and net worth? Sort of the "Stuff White People Like" demographic?

Or does it extend only to a certain subset of the above category? That is, the more 1980s definition of yuppie - white, fiscally conservative and socially liberal, white collar professional, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 12:14 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
There's a lot of people in their 20's who seem to have good jobs making a lot of money. I have no idea how they got these jobs since many of them can't be old enough to have anything but a BA or BS. There's also a lot of young attorneys just out of law school who luck into $100K+ jobs at big firms who live in SF for a few years before getting married and settling in the burbs. Same for a lot of industries, I guess if you have the right skills/education (probably went to Cal or Stanford, or have a master's or PhD in something in demand from a big name-brand school) and know the right people, you can get a job in SF making more money than you're probably worth.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:22 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
So true. There are many young people in SF who lucked out at jobs in big companies or with deep pocketed startups. They have lots of disposable income at an age where they have few finiancial responsibilities.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:53 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Or they got lots of family money, and are good at spending it.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:17 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,257 times
San Francisco is its own little world.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:57 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL89 View Post
What is the "yuppie" stereotype in SF? I know that many resent the presence of yuppies in SF, but I'm curious who falls into that stereotype.

Anyone who's young and enjoys relatively high income and net worth? Sort of the "Stuff White People Like" demographic?

Or does it extend only to a certain subset of the above category? That is, the more 1980s definition of yuppie - white, fiscally conservative and socially liberal, white collar professional, etc.
SF is definitely more of a "Stuff white people like" brand of yuppie, if generalizations had to be made.

The later is more of a New York yuppie, again if generalizations had to be made.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:43 PM

25 posts, read 107,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL89 View Post
The more 1980s definition of yuppie - white, fiscally conservative and socially liberal, white collar professional, etc.
That is who I would describe as a yuppie. I lived in London in the 80s when the term was widely used to describe the brash, rich, stock market types who had lots of cash and very little "class".

Think Billionaire Boys Club.

Today's yuppies know that being loud and brash is not cool, so they tend to hide their yuppieness, but as Tony Hawk once said... a "bitchin’ tattoo cannot hide your inner desire to be Donald Trump."

But also being wealthy, driving a nice car and living in a nice house, does not make you a Yuppie.

wealth - social responsibility = Yuppie.

wealth + social responsibility = Lucky

Old 03-16-2011, 03:50 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
Not as much as many people would like to think though. What brought that comment on anyways? Yuppies getting rich by working for startups? Yuppies who get rich off of family money? Yuppies in general? Because i'm pretty sure SF is not the only place with yuppies, and i'm also pretty sure it's not the only place with yuppies that get rich off of startups or their family.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:17 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
I agree, but it has nothing to do with yuppieness. In SF (and the bay in general) people are elitist about lots of stuff that isn't even on the radar for other parts of the country. Let's talk about food.

There is an actual food source hierarchy here:
organic trumps mass produced (conventional)
local trumps organic
organic and local trumps local
organic/local/small farm/artisan trumps everything

It is so crazy that restaurants name check farms and ingredients.

For every area of life, there is some sort of similar hierarchy associated with it. In most places the idea of consumerism and materialism are more connected to brands as status symbols. In the Bay the premium is places on source and production methods (and in some circles impact to the environment).

This is really evident in the food scene here (bars and restaurants) but similar ideals permeate everything.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:40 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
There is an actual food source hierarchy here:
organic trumps mass produced (conventional)
local trumps organic
organic and local trumps local
organic/local/small farm/artisan trumps everything
I'm no food snob, but I see this as a positive thing, one that ought to spread, especially given the rising price of energy and resource inputs used in conventional agriculture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland