Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 03:26 PM

283 posts, read 385,611 times

Advertisements

My friend got a ticket with one of those cameras on a stop light intersection. It's his father's car registered in NJ and he's of the mind that he's just going to ignore it and not pay. Does anyone know what the actual ramifications of doing this are? Figured it's out of CA's jurisdiction, assuming he's not pulled over anymore and that my friend is not going to actually live in CA for any extended period of time. This intersection was located in Newark BTW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 03:39 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
I would guess his father will get a ticket in the mail and whoop his butt when he gets home.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I would guess his father will get a ticket in the mail and whoop his butt when he gets home.
LOL

My buddy is 40, his dad is 60 something and doesn't care about his credit since he owns his house outright and doesn't ever really use credit for anything (just incase they try a collection agency tactic)

Old 01-13-2014, 08:22 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,044,110 times
In many states (CA is one of them), they will recognize out-of-state tickets as valid and NOT allow renewal of car registration (or the owner's driver's license) until the fine (and any penalties) is paid. Stop trying to game the system and pay the damn ticket - you (well, somebody) ran the light and got caught, pay up. (Or pay a LOT more later.)

Old 01-13-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
In many states (CA is one of them), they will recognize out-of-state tickets as valid and NOT allow renewal of car registration (or the owner's driver's license) until the fine (and any penalties) is paid. Stop trying to game the system and pay the damn ticket - you (well, somebody) ran the light and got caught, pay up. (Or pay a LOT more later.)
The car is registered in NJ by his father. His father could care less about bad credit should a collection agency go after him. The ticket is for about $500 ($490 + "processing fee"). I was suggesting that he fight the ticket since it's just so darn high, especially for a "went slow but didn't stop on red before turning right" violation. Personally, I would've fought it first and if denied, would not have paid it, but that's just me. I think he has the advantage since his father is ok with taking any credit hit. He just has to drive carefully next time he goes to CA.

Does anyone know whether NJ recognizes CA tickets?

Old 01-14-2014, 11:55 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,044,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saigafreak View Post
The car is registered in NJ by his father. His father could care less about bad credit should a collection agency go after him. The ticket is for about $500 ($490 + "processing fee"). I was suggesting that he fight the ticket since it's just so darn high, especially for a "went slow but didn't stop on red before turning right" violation. Personally, I would've fought it first and if denied, would not have paid it, but that's just me. I think he has the advantage since his father is ok with taking any credit hit. He just has to drive carefully next time he goes to CA.

Does anyone know whether NJ recognizes CA tickets?

That's the real question (the bolded part) - and the reason I made my previous post. Also, (if he is still in CA) his car could be simply impounded. Many cop cars in CA have cameras that automatically read the plates of cars as they drive past and check the plates (unpaid tickets, stolen, etc). He could walk out and find a Denver boot on his car one day.

Not to mention all the states he will drive through to get back home. He better hope he isn't pulled over in any of them, and if he is stopped, that the state doesn't "data share" with California. I hope your friend doesn't mind spending a few days in jail, or a several thousand dollar fine.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:38 PM

926 posts, read 979,490 times
he ran a stop light at intersection? I despise those who still runs the red light even after green is on crossing side.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:11 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saigafreak View Post
My friend got a ticket with one of those cameras on a stop light intersection. It's his father's car registered in NJ and he's of the mind that he's just going to ignore it and not pay. Does anyone know what the actual ramifications of doing this are? Figured it's out of CA's jurisdiction, assuming he's not pulled over anymore and that my friend is not going to actually live in CA for any extended period of time. This intersection was located in Newark BTW.
This article I found explains why he better not ignore it:

Out-of-State Motorists

But, if he's still in CA, instead of just paying it, he ought to go to court to see about getting it dismissed, if possible, to avoid points on DMV record and insurance hikes. I think he ought to just go to court and say he's sorry, it's his first offense, blah, blah, and ask the judge if he would please consider dismissing it.

Worth a try anyway. If it doesn't work, well, he'll have to pay up.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:20 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
If you dont pay the tickey ultimately it goes to court and court costs are added, your $100 ticket can easily balloon into figures north of $500, the judge may also issue a bench warrant on the owner of the car which results in the next time the car is stopped it gets impounded and the driver spends a little time in jail till the outstanding ticket is paid..

Old 01-15-2014, 03:41 PM

926 posts, read 979,490 times
better pay now to get rid of it. consequences can include arrest warrant, collection, negative credit history entry, loss of driving privilege. Those are the ones that comes into mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose