Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2007, 03:34 PM

19 posts, read 69,206 times

Advertisements

Hey all -

So here goes - I am currently in the engineering R&D field, and I'll be done with my triple major MBA in two weeks. Job prospects have been dim - mostly stating because I'm 're-careering' - and I'm wanting to get a fresh perspective.

Does anyone know how one can jump from engineering to business? I'm very interested in sustainable industries, and I also wouldn't mind being back in a high tech/R&D field, but how can I convey to potential employers here in the Bay Area that I'm right for a job?

The Bay Area is competitive. I'm trying to gain an edge.

Any thoughts? I'm ambitious and willing - just got to find a place that can utilize me.

Thanks in advance,
Linh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 04:30 PM

141 posts, read 534,850 times
Consider consulting using your technical background. Create your own consulting corporation and sell your services. See if there's value in your technical background you can capitalize on - then market and sell it.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:03 PM

31 posts, read 55,894 times
Your engineering/R&D experience may help you to land a job even in this market if you play it smartly. Presently one of the hottest areas of employment is in the 'clean technology' sector. More specifically: Solar. Right now solar companies are hiring engineers in droves. The best thing about it is the fact that most companies in this field are willing to train engineers with the right background. Experienced engineers in the solar field are hard to come by. Bay area is the 'happening area' in clean technology. It is a real sustainable field as the next 20-30 years will be spent in the quest for renewable energy, fixing the global warming mess, etc. Clean technology will lead the way.
You may want to contact Sun Power, Miasole', Nano Solar, SV Solar, Green Volts, Green Mountain Engineering, Akeena Solar and others. You may also want to contact EverGreen Solar from Mass and ask them if they would consider hiring an engineer with a business background to manage projects in the west coast.

It wouldn't hurt to call them, at worst they will tell you they are not considering someone with your backgroung right now. You may ask them what do you need to accomplish to apply again. I am sure you wil find at least one who would be willing to talk to you.

Good luck in your endeavor.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:50 AM

119 posts, read 716,726 times
i would have thought an mba was the best way to jump from engineering to business, i used to be an engineer before b-school and i will be graduating this may and i was able to find jobs in finance through on campus recruiting, it sounds like you may be doing a part time mba program though. What I've found that helps is to focus on aspects of your experience that would help the employer, as for me as i was looking at finance, i highlighted my experiences that linked most closely with finance and i also focused a lot on leadership experiences and working with people from different departments and the like. skills and experiences that the particular employer would value highly...

I'd also advise you to look into Net Impact, they are an organization that helps MBAs who want to use their degree for more than just generating the greatest shareholder value. www.netimpact.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose