Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 03:58 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,861,476 times

Advertisements

Congrats! Welcome to the neighborhood, I'm over on the Oakridge Mall side of 95123, but love the Santa Teresa Hills very much!

Don't forget to enjoy all the short trails in the hill accessible along Curie Drive, and also the Albertson Trail situated in the middle of the neighborhood to the immediate east of you. Santa Teresa Park and Calero Reservoir are absolute blasts.

Also enjoy the wineries and vineyards located in the Morgan Hill border with San Jose, south of Coyote Valley. I always like to take Santa Teresa Road all the way south to Morgan Hill, checking out the fruit stands along the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 01:17 PM

402 posts, read 538,780 times
Thank you bobby_guz_man!

Yes, we (and our puppy ) have already checked short trails in the hill near Curie Drive. The view is imaging from this height!

Old 03-31-2015, 04:11 PM

53 posts, read 176,067 times
By the way if you want to go north during rush hour, try taking Almaden Expressway. It's usually much faster commute compared to 87.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:05 PM

423 posts, read 610,331 times
Congratulations. Even in crazy seller's market, those who are dedicated and disciplined can still find the right home.

Now you can get dog and cat, and enjoy your new home.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:57 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,862,879 times
...and no one here bats an eye when a "cheap" house is over $700k. Gotta love living in Silicon Valley.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:50 PM

402 posts, read 538,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
...and no one here bats an eye when a "cheap" house is over $700k. Gotta love living in Silicon Valley.
I try to see the world in a positive way. Real estate price in SV is a thing that ordinary people cannot change at all, but it's an objective reality of healthy economy of the region. So, there is no reason to be upset because it changes nothing, and all we can do is to love it or leave it. SV is not a prison!

Old 04-01-2015, 02:30 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
This is what I was going to say, but you beat me to it

Old 04-01-2015, 02:59 PM

Location: Simi Valley, California - which was once part of the USA
350 posts, read 537,386 times
I was in Palo Alto for a day and the attitude was stifling. I don't see how people pay millions to live in a 50s rancher in the midst of such pretentiousness.

Also, everyone was Asian seriously. I'm from Los Angeles and parts of SV make the San Gabriel Valley look white bread

Old 04-01-2015, 04:58 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Laws in California are different than in Europe. Converting a garage to a residence is illegal in most places. Also, many communities do not allow a second dwelling to be built on a residential lot. These restrictions are always in place in newer developments, and in many older housing tracts as well. Not to mention, neighbors can be very upset at people living in their high income neighborhood who are running a boarding house, having extra cars, etc.
It is? I've never heard of that. There are quite a few properties in Berkeley where the owner converted a garage into a 2nd home or even a 2-story duplex. They're required to provide off-street parking for each unit. Some of those are in Kensington, so it's not just a Berkeley thing. There have been homes in high-end neighborhoods that have been turned into communal living quarters, as well. Neighbors don't like it, but there's nothing they can do about it.

Turning a garage into an extra bedroom or a studio rental is a popular move around the country. It's not a Europe-vs.-America difference. Some locales in CA may not allow it, but it's not a state-wide thing. Some communities or neighborhoods aren't zoned for duplexes (which a house with a garage-studio would become), others are. And not all garage conversions are used as rentals. Converting a garage is an easy way of expanding one's living space, if starting out with a 2-br. home.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:45 PM

424 posts, read 552,019 times
^^ as above poster mentioned, it is illegal in most municipalities on the peninsula to turn garages into a studio or any sort of secondary living unit. Just read thru zoning laws. There are lots of grandfathered units, but the zoning laws make it very difficult to do on almost all standard sized lots in Santa Clara county. I am looking at buying and have been reading and researching this topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose