Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 06:02 PM

215 posts, read 260,610 times

Advertisements

I debated whether to post this here or in the work/employment forum but this is just something I've noticed only in the bay area. I am heading on a 4 week vacation (haven't had a longer vacation in almost 2 years) shortly. Although my vacation is just around the corner I find that a lot of work has been suddenly dumped on me. I am now expected to finish all this . I am told that this is good for me to be in demand and how a lot of other people would jump at this project. I am really puzzled at how its implied that I should be ecstatic at this opportunity. Whats weirder is that none of my colleagues think this is strange. Its no surprise that work-life balance is a foreign concept here but how often does this happen to be asked to take work during time off? Does this happen to others? Is it just my employer? I would really appreciate some responses to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 06:58 PM

23,635 posts, read 24,188,341 times
At my current employer, whenever I request leave, my manager (a great boss) tells me to turnover any ongoing projects before I leave, so that I can enjoy my leave.

Have you spoken privately to your manager?

Old 03-18-2015, 07:00 PM

102,268 posts, read 108,310,604 times
What sector do you work in, OP? Tech?

Old 03-18-2015, 07:17 PM

330 posts, read 658,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skris4 View Post
I debated whether to post this here or in the work/employment forum but this is just something I've noticed only in the bay area. I am heading on a 4 week vacation (haven't had a longer vacation in almost 2 years) shortly. Although my vacation is just around the corner I find that a lot of work has been suddenly dumped on me. I am now expected to finish all this . I am told that this is good for me to be in demand and how a lot of other people would jump at this project. I am really puzzled at how its implied that I should be ecstatic at this opportunity. Whats weirder is that none of my colleagues think this is strange. Its no surprise that work-life balance is a foreign concept here but how often does this happen to be asked to take work during time off? Does this happen to others? Is it just my employer? I would really appreciate some responses to this.
Totally depends on the manager I guess. I have never experienced this.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:47 PM

215 posts, read 260,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What sector do you work in, OP? Tech?
Yes, in tech!IT appears from the responses that I am the only one with this problem? I find the work environment to be really cut-throat.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:00 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,477,846 times
Quote:
Yes, in tech!IT appears from the responses that I am the only one with this problem? I find the work environment to be really cut-throat.
Of course you're not. Didn't you know? This is one of the world's Meccas for workaholics. This is one of those places in the world where people flock to with dreams of getting rich, and they do that by typically being young family-less guys willing to work around the clock at startups or in private equity. Damn near everyone is a transplant from somewhere else. Like a quarter of Harvard's graduating MBA class each year ends up here. Stanford is obviously highly represented. People here are chasing big bucks and dreams of being the part of the Next Big Thing, and they just do not like to take it easy. The Steve Jobs prototypes of the valley do not care if they work you all weekend. And when you burn out, there are always more where you came from ready to take your place.

I have spent five years in it, and I can tell you first-hand that the pay and resume experience is good, but the work/life balance is generally just not a priority. Corporate types may talk a good game about it, but it's not true. You play this game knowing it. And you decide how long you want to play that cost/benefit game.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:10 PM

23,635 posts, read 24,188,341 times
It's Silicon Valley, of course!

There are a few companies that do offer work-life balance, but the key is "few".

Quote:

Old 03-18-2015, 11:02 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,867,015 times
I've never had this happened either. But generally for 3-4 weeks long vacation, I would inform my managers almost 2 months in advance. By the time I'm ready to hit vacation, everything is already handed off temporarily to other coworkers.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:46 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,252,317 times
I do not work in tech, neither does my partner, but we always had a huge amount of work dumped on us prior to vacations. I'm not sure if we just have terrible planning or if people just freak out when you are going to be gone for a more than 2 days.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:29 AM

240 posts, read 479,025 times
Maybe your stance invites more work because of the perception of weakness and fear. Back when I was in your situation, I always set my vacation dates well in advance (6 months ahead for a 3-week vacation, 2 month otherwise) and the dates were always non-negotiable and overriding. As a result, work suddenly creeping close to or during vacation time would squarely be management's fault *and* responsibility to fix. If your work ethics is stellar during business hours, only a bad manager would undermine your recovery time. And working under a bad manager is bad for your health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
View detailed profiles of: