Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 11:26 PM

34 posts, read 46,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Los Gatos is nice, but otherwise the South Bay is a less interesting Los Angeles. Like Phoenix, but 5x as expensive. Like Salt Lake City, but without the spectacular mountain backdrop, and also 5x as expensive.
I'm forced to work in Santa Clara. I live at home in Menlo park. I was so excited because I thought I could work in Palo Alto but I didn't get that job. I got the same one in Santa Clara

Old 12-12-2015, 11:26 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Paul Getty View Post
6 mile vs 19.7 mile commute. Who wants a 20 mile commute? It'll be about 45 minutes and thats nuts.Plus I'm familiar with the Palo Alto area so the job will be 50x easier.
How will I deal with the 100 degree days and blazing sun in Santa Clara? I guarantee you I'll get skin cancer. They'll probably make deliver in the barrio.
I'm surprised that you get a job working in Palo Alto with that logic. If you can't deal with it, please leave.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:27 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Quote:
I'm forced to work in Santa Clara. I live at home in Menlo park. I was so excited because I thought I could work in Palo Alto but I didn't get that job. I got the same one in Santa Clara
Ah a millennial still live at home.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
East side of San Jose isn't so hot, over by Story and White, but it's still not nearly as bad as ghettos in LA.

If you're hot, go over the hill to Santa Cruz. San Jose can get hot, but so can anywhere on the Peninsula, even San Francisco. On the upside, most people in San Jose have air conditioning, something buildings in San Francisco don't have.
I can't move. I can only afford to stay in the area by living at home. I was crushed when I was offered a SF job instead of of Palo Alto. I should have gone with SF over Santa Clara. The climate is 100x better.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:50 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Why is the Santa Clara/San Jose/Campbell area so awful? It's got the heat, ghettos, and traffic of LA, without any of the interesting things to do. It's basically a morbidly obese overpriced suburb that forces you to take clogged freeways to get anywhere. Why can't it be a regal/dignified place like SF/SF peninsula where you don't get skin cancer by walking outside? At least there you don't have awful traffic and hideous sprawl. I don't see why people even bother paying so much to live in San Jose. Even the east bay is better. It's on par with Fresno.
Posters on this forum are generally honest about the area's drawbacks, but your hyperbole is not appreciated.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:06 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
I'm upset because I'm forced to go to the South Bay. The only advantage I see is the fact I can still attend sjsu once I get more a more consistent schedule. I kind of respect that but I don't know.... San Jose doesn't feel like home to me. I feel more connected to the peninsula and I'm disappointed about not being able to work there. Plus the commute going south is going to be brutal on 101. If the tech bubble bursts will the traffic clear up?
Honestly, if this is your worst problem in life, then you don't really have much to worry about. If this isn't a troll thread, then it really sounds like you've been living in a bubble.

I can somewhat commiserate with the traffic, but I would not expect it to get better. If the economy crashes, it might get better to a very small degree, but I would never ever count on it. And if the economy's bad, you might have much bigger worries, like trying to hang onto your job.

If you can't afford the real estate here, then make plans on moving to a cheaper metro area. That's what a lot of young people are doing. And then you'll find out what hot summers (and cold winters) really feel like. Pretty much everywhere else in the U.S. has less mild weather than coastal California. Don't waste time and energy complaining. As much as I think the insane real estate prices here are unfair (because they're kept artificially high with zoning regulations that restrict new housing supply), they're not going to change.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Honestly, if this is your worst problem in life, then you don't really have much to worry about. If this isn't a troll thread, then it really sounds like you've been living in a bubble.

I can somewhat commiserate with the traffic to some degree, but I would not expect it to get better. If the economy crashes, it might get better by a very small amount, but I would never ever count on it. And if the economy's bad, you might have much bigger worries, like trying to hang onto your job.

If you can't afford the real estate here, then make plans on moving to a cheaper metro area. That's what a lot of young people are doing. And then you'll find out what hot summers (and cold winters) really feel like. Pretty much everywhere else in the U.S. has less mild weather than coastal California. Don't waste time and energy complaining. As much as I think the insane real estate prices here are unfair (because they're kept artificially high with zoning regulations that restrict new housing supply), they're not going to change.
Nah my job is disconnected from the economy. I work in government so im very safe. My plan is to live at home indefinitely. Maybe one day during a down turn I can buy a 500 square foot condo in San Jose (that's a possibility). I also don't feel like leaving because I have to take care of my mom and aunt.
I'd rather give them some money than pay for some guys mortgage/Lexus payment.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:12 PM

197 posts, read 347,813 times
Troll

Old 12-13-2015, 01:37 PM

402 posts, read 538,780 times
Quote:
Why is the Santa Clara/San Jose/Campbell area so awful? It's got the heat, ghettos, and traffic of LA, without any of the interesting things to do. It's basically a morbidly obese overpriced suburb that forces you to take clogged freeways to get anywhere. Why can't it be a regal/dignified place like SF/SF peninsula where you don't get skin cancer by walking outside? At least there you don't have awful traffic and hideous sprawl. I don't see why people even bother paying so much to live in San Jose. Even the east bay is better. It's on par with Fresno.
Oh boy... why so much of hating...

Old 12-13-2015, 04:07 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,465,220 times
Quote:
It's got the heat? Look, if you can't stand a place that spends most of the year between 68 and 85, then you really need to stick close to the coast. It's only a small percentage of days that go above 90, and it's a very rare day indeed that we see triple digits. Phoenix this isn't.

Also, in what way is Burlingame, a city on the peninsula, dignified and regal? Or South SF?

Santa Clara County has real flaws--sprawl, rising crime--but your exaggerations come off as the fit of a spoiled child who is denied ice cream. Come to some of your city's planning meetings, where some of us are honestly trying to make our cities safer, more affordable, more entertaining, and more livable, but having to fight budgets and bureaucracy--baseless rules, convoluted processes, fiefdoms--to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose