Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 12:14 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,548,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
Re: AT+T - you can get DSL through their wires without also having a landline, but they charge more for that. If you use them for local phone service the DSL package becomes about $20/month cheaper.
Yeah, this is true for the most part. For high speed DSL (768k-1.5mpbs) I think it's about $40-45/month, but if you purchase landline service from them, then it goes down to $25/month for the first year. I have low speed (384k) which is $20/month flat rate, whether you buy a landline or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 04:59 PM

4 posts, read 14,437 times
What's the best deal for high speed access in Palo Alto ?

I'm moving in a house in Palo Alto in August, the current tenants have Comcast for internet access and TV and they're getting 12mbps down apparently. I'm not sure I want to fork out $60/month for TV but without TV the bandwidth drops to 6mbps apparently ? Still pretty good for $20/month

Not sure how much bandwidth DSL gets you and at what price ?

Might get mobile broadband too as I understand Sprint is testing 4G in the Palo Alto area but would still feel safer with a land access. Wow, I just looked up Virgin Mobile and I might live with 3G since you get unlimited data and 300 minsfor $25/month with no contract, Sprint is more like $70/month! Ah but it seems I can't my unlocked European iPhone 3Gs with VG, will have to buy a new phone...might be some cheap ones...Sorry for the OT ;-)

Old 07-06-2010, 08:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,655 times
Default high speed Internet access in Palo Alto, other than Comcast?

We moved to Palo Alto a year ago. Got a comcast deal: $52/mon internet + limited basic cable for 12 months. The internet speed is supposed to be 16mbps. Now the regular rate kicks in, the bill is $75 for the same package. The ugly thing is that you can't say I don't want the TV part - we seldom watch TV - plus, you get more channels with antenna.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:54 AM

Thanks for the info, it seemed from their website that you could get internet only but with a reduced speed of 6Mbps but I just checked and it seems to have changed or I read it wrong the other day, now it's $70 per month with 15Mbps for the first six months and then $110, wow...

How did you get that deal, was it a special they had or something you negotiated?

Last edited by webvan; 07-07-2010 at 04:03 AM..

Old 07-19-2010, 01:22 PM

205 posts, read 603,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
Re: AT+T - you can get DSL through their wires without also having a landline, but they charge more for that. If you use them for local phone service the DSL package becomes about $20/month cheaper.
I believe if you want a discounted rate, the DSL w/o landline phone service is also available discounted but you'd have to get some other service with AT&T like cellular service. That will work best if you use or would consider using AT&T for cellular service.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:54 PM

I read about AT&T U-verse on yelp, not sure what it is exactly but it's rated at 10Mbp apparently, not sure about the price.

The $70 per month for TV (80 channels) with 15Mbps internet for the first six months and then $110 is really expensive !

Would be a better deal to get "Basic Cable" at $20/month or rather Digital Economy for $30 (CNN and Fox) and tack on "Performance - Special Offer" internet (15Mbps/3Mbps) for $20/6 months and then $43 after that.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:27 PM

Ok, in Palo Alto now and signed up with Comcast for Digital Economy cable and Performance Internet (12Mbps) and I'm getting poor download speeds overall.

Been using ADSL for 10+ years so I'm not sure it's due to the cable technology, I somehow doubt it, but it's felt sluggish since day 1 (two days ago) and after running some tests on Comcast Speed Test (which they support officially), using the San Jose server, download speed tops out at 1.5Mbps, upload at 4Mbps (!) and ping is an excellent 10ms. Using the Portland server it's a bit better at 3MBps download.

Spent an hour on the phone with them and of course everything looks fine on their end, line, ping, speed, etc...they could only suggest I drive down to their store to pick up a new modem.

Anyone had that problem before ?

Old 04-18-2013, 04:31 PM

850 posts, read 1,546,636 times
Default Etheric Networks

If you are looking for an alternative to Comcast or AT&T for Internet, Etheric Networks offers wireless internet for business and residents. From what I know, they specialize in services for people that live in the boonies too.

I think they are located in either Mountain view or Redwood city.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,712 times
Comcast is the worst: they offer you a good deal for the first yr and then raise the price all the time. I am paying now $226/mo for triple play !!!!

Old 08-29-2013, 11:15 AM

158 posts, read 358,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcard View Post
Comcast is the worst: they offer you a good deal for the first yr and then raise the price all the time. I am paying now $226/mo for triple play !!!!
I have just "double play". I now pay $181 for internet (with BS nonexistant "speed boost" or w/e they call it), DVR TV with HBO. (No phone service.) Actually that includes a second DVR as well (don't ask...).

I feel your pain. They always creep up the price and there's always some 6 month special that expires just when I've forgotten about it. I wish Comcast had a real competitor that ran on the cable lines. Where the hell is the fiber lines everyone was talking about in the late '90s?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose