Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 09:55 PM

1 posts, read 3,490 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm moving to 17th and Julian street area in san jose and am wondering if anyone else living in this neighborhood can let me know how they feel about it. The reason I'm asking is that I lived in downtown for several years until a break-in at my house on 12th near 280 forced me to relocate. I've decided to come back but am having some last minute anxiety (please keep in mind I've already signed the lease). I am familiar enough with downtown to know the risks, etc., but am hoping that someone from that immediate area might fill me in a little.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 10:42 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
All I can really say is expect more of the same. I love downtown, but it's still a major city and there's going to be crime. It's a little further away from SJSU, so it might be quieter.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:30 PM

197 posts, read 977,222 times
I didn't realize SJ downtown was that bad..

Old 02-06-2009, 07:58 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,352,002 times
Downtown is "bad" relative to San Jose. It's not "bad" relative to the U.S. Plus, there always seem to be too many cops there, so it can't be too terrible.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:04 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Downtown is "bad" relative to San Jose. It's not "bad" relative to the U.S. Plus, there always seem to be too many cops there, so it can't be too terrible.
Well, there has been much debate of late whether the cops are partly responsible for the occasional mayhem downtown, especially at closing time. There is, as we have seen with the BART cop incident, such a thing as "overkill". (But SJ cops just grab people and arrest them, they don't just shoot them.)

Old 02-09-2009, 09:26 PM
E14

147 posts, read 545,617 times
san jose is one of the safest, quietest cities in the US
As long as you dont act like a mark, there should be no problem
However, there are a large number of nortenos and surenos in San Jose, so remember not to wear red or blue. Have common sense and you should be fine.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:24 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
You can search the San Jose P.D. web site for a list of the number of calls they receive from various streets. Sorry, I don't have the info at hand to give you but it is easy to find. You can also find crime rates on Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed for many cities. I live in the Blossom Valley area and after an experience last November, we carry pepper spray for an afternoon bike ride don't go out at night.

Last edited by Yac; 02-24-2009 at 04:43 AM..

Old 02-10-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Well, there has been much debate of late whether the cops are partly responsible for the occasional mayhem downtown, especially at closing time. There is, as we have seen with the BART cop incident, such a thing as "overkill". (But SJ cops just grab people and arrest them, they don't just shoot them.)
They cause it with bar patrons, but their presence would surely deter someone crossing the line in that area.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:01 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,476,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
For the most part that is true, but it has happened once or twice in recent memory. There was that Vietnamese lady with the potato peeler incident last year. Does anyone know what happened with that couple last month where the woman got tased and the husband was shot in the face by the SJPD? I never heard any follow up in the news about it and it sounded just as bad as the Oscar Grant deal. I hope those cops got dealt with if it really happened the way I heard it did.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:24 AM

Well, another guy was tased to death today. One more notch for SJPD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
View detailed profiles of: