Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 05:38 AM

2 posts, read 4,610 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I am moving with a wife and 2 kids to the Bay area. I will be working in Sunnyvale. I need some advices on picking the appropriate town in the bay area. My requirements are a very good school district. My kids will be in 1st and 4th grade. I plan on renting a 4 bedroom house for about a year before buying a place. Please let me know if you have some recommendation on an excellent school district where I can rent a home. I need at least 2500 square feet of space for my family.

I have been reading some posts on this forum and I understand that it would be less expensive to move south of Sunnyvale, rather than North. I have no attachment to living near San Francisco. As long a the school is great and housing is "reasonable" I do not mind commuting for an hour to my job in Sunnyvale. Currently in Princeton, NJ 4 bedroom homes are around 700k to 800K. I should probably expect to pay $1m to $1.2m for a similar home in the Bay area. However, I am not buying yet, I plan on renting for at least on year until I get to know the area before buying.

My kids currently in NJ go to a school district where 98% of students graduate from high school and go to college. So the school here is very good, I hope to find something similar.

Thank you

Last edited by groc2009; 11-14-2009 at 06:07 AM.. Reason: More informaion added
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 10:49 PM

42 posts, read 120,408 times
One of the best is the Cupertino School District - another is Palo Alto School District - lowest is the San Jose School District. City of Cupertino is less than 10 minutes to Sunnyvale....... San Francisco School District is not highly regarded, except Lincoln High School is considered to be one of the best high school in California.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:54 PM

Default Palo Alto or Cupertino School District

Both are close to Sunnyvale.... both school district is well represented.

San Francisco's Lincoln High School is one of the best in California.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:10 AM

45 posts, read 175,972 times
Yes, i have to say that Los Altos, Palo Alto (not east pa), and Cupertino are your best bets. Matching what you have in NJ is going to be tough, I hate to say it....unfortunately they lower the bar here in public schools. CA has the rep of having the worst schools as you probably are aware of. Which boggles my mind quite honestly with all the dot commers out this way.

Anyhow, the challenge will be to find a home comparable to Princeton for under a 1M in those areas, so renting the first year is very smart.

With all of that being said, we have been here 13 years and love it, you can't beat the quality of life out here and I wish you and your family alot of luck and success.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:11 PM

Default Within Your Thinking

Larger homes within price range are in Morgan Hills,.. less than 1 hour from your job.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:45 PM

45 posts, read 175,972 times
I live in Morgan Hill, the schools are nothing to brag about. Check out www.greatschools.net

Old 11-15-2009, 03:13 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,769,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanfordgal View Post
San Francisco's Lincoln High School is one of the best in California.
Don't you mean Lowell High School?

Old 11-15-2009, 03:46 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,165,602 times
Would consider renting in either PortolaValley or PaloAlto

PV has solid elem schools; many send kids to pvt schools for later educ

PA has academically excellent (prob stronger than anything in NJ incl ShortHills) public schools but has various issues with lower socio-economic gps in suburb (esp kids w/limited focus on education and more focus on violence/crime), so many affluent PA parents opt for pvt schools for middle/HS....in many ways, PA is not unlike Princeton w/nearby poverty and violence (prob more violence in PA than Princeton) vs an academically/intellectually rich setting

Suspect from an office culture standpoint will find that many similar parents tend to congregate in certain suburbs like PA or PV and will become self-evident why few educated professionals opt for Cupertino or other suburbs that nominally seem "OK" in some abstract ranking

Old 11-15-2009, 05:02 PM

Default My mistake

You are correct. Wasn't sure myself. Thank you for correcting me.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:44 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,769,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Suspect from an office culture standpoint will find that many similar parents tend to congregate in certain suburbs like PA or PV and will become self-evident why few educated professionals opt for Cupertino or other suburbs that nominally seem "OK" in some abstract ranking
Do you ever use pronouns?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose