Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 07:11 PM

475 posts, read 1,267,750 times

Advertisements

"The median sales price for homes in Santa Fe NM for Jul 09 to Sep 09 was $353,000 based on 6 home sales. Compared to the same period one year ago, the median home sales price increased 41.9%, or $104,152, and the number of home sales decreased 14.3%. There are currently 2,557 resale and new homes in Santa Fe on Trulia, including 1 open house, as well as 361 homes in the pre-foreclosure, auction, or bank-owned stages of the foreclosure process."

Santa Fe, NM real estate overview - Trulia.com

Only 6 homes sold in Santa Fe City and County in the last quarter?? At this rate, 24 per year?

At the same time 2,557 houses on the market? So -- it takes a 100 years to sell them all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 07:25 PM

Then Alto Research says:

"There are about 1,649 properties on the market in SANTA FE as of November 01 2009."
SANTA FE, NM Real Estate Market Report for November 01 2009

There is an explosion of this type of data on the internet. Is it all c**p?

Old 11-05-2009, 08:41 AM

332 posts, read 1,035,984 times
Here's a link to the SF Realtors' release about Q3. There were 135 sales in the City in the quarter, a drop of 29% over the year before, although in the County as a whole sales were up 22% (probably due to increased activity in the Airport Road area, which is in the County)

Inventory is up, though, because even as days'on'market increases new houses are coming on the market every day. It continues to be a buyer's market in Santa Fe...

Old 11-05-2009, 08:58 AM

As an aside, Altos Research is an excellent primary source for home data. Trulia does not do primary research, just scrapes the information from other sites. I do like Trulia for its listings, its iPhone app and its maps - just not its data!

Old 11-05-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by santafescribe View Post
Here's a link to the SF Realtors' release about Q3. There were 135 sales in the City in the quarter, a drop of 29% over the year before, although in the County as a whole sales were up 22% (probably due to increased activity in the Airport Road area, which is in the County)

Inventory is up, though, because even as days'on'market increases new houses are coming on the market every day. It continues to be a buyer's market in Santa Fe...
Thanks. All of a sudden all this information is coming out on the internet and much of it seems wrong for one reason or another.

What about Zillow? They claim to be able to tell you the value of your home, but as I examine details, their data seems a little flaky. In my neighborhood, they miss some homes entirely. The ones they find are all mixed up with most of us put the same spot in an arroyo. There is one lot for sale, but they seem to think it has a house on it and say that the lot is a little more than a billion square feet.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:52 AM

Default Turn around in Santa Fe

Maybe I should note that US News and WR projects the Santa Fe metro area as one of the top ten (number 8 specifically) in housing appreciation over the next ten years.

The Top 10 Housing Markets for the Next 10 Years - US News and World Report

So this may be not only a buyer's market, but also the time to buy before things turn around.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:24 PM

Default Top 10 Housing Markets/Zillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Fe View Post
Maybe I should note that US News and WR projects the Santa Fe metro area as one of the top ten (number 8 specifically) in housing appreciation over the next ten years.

The Top 10 Housing Markets for the Next 10 Years - US News and World Report

So this may be not only a buyer's market, but also the time to buy before things turn around.
Well I'm a realtor so you know I won't give you unbiased comment on that! The facts today show, however, that our inventory is too high, our days on market are too long and interest rates are at a historic low (though on the uptick) - that would seem to me to be a great time to buy wisely and carefully if you believe, as I do, that Santa Fe will continue to be an attractive destination for at least the next 10/20 years.

Re Zillow - it just doesn't work in New Mexico in terms of valuation, because buyers are not obligated to disclose the purchase price to the public. So its graphs make nice eye candy, but not much more than that.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:00 PM

Zillow also seems to think that 87506 is on the northside of Albuquerque. I guess anybody who tries to crunch real estate data on a national basis is going to make some mistakes. It is just that theirs are very visible.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:31 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,751,417 times
In some areas of Albuquerque, Zwillow's estimates are as much as 50% below
the sale price (not asking price, SALE price) of some homes I'm aware of including
my own.

FWIW, I recently had my house appraised at almost twice the Zwillow website's
price so I think it's pretty damn near useless, at least in this area..

Old 12-29-2009, 01:14 PM

23 posts, read 53,184 times
Any good local realtor can answer that question for you, but I wouldn't be surprised. Don't pay any attention to national statistics. All real estate is local. Santa Fe is a resort community, and a retirement spot and an art center....just not anything like the average town in the midwest or wherever. Santa Fe real estate has been so grossly overpriced for the last ten or fifteen years that it doesn't surprise me that nothing is selling, in this economy. Not much is selling anywhere else either, so in a place where real estate has been just insanely over the top, sales will be less. Of course there are houses in foreclosure....jobs closing, peoples' retirement income plummeting, the bottom dropping out of the real estate market....that's what happens. It's a good thing for buyers, though. Houses were grotesquely overpriced to begin with. If you are looking to buy... I'd say make any offer....no matter what they're asking. People will usually deal. Otherwise, wait another year or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe