Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 08:16 AM

888 posts, read 1,186,492 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving into Santa Fe (El Dorado), at the end of this year.
Since we're both pushing 60; our days of gator wrestling, bungee jumping, and freestyle rock climbing, are probably behind us?
We both LOVE outdoor activities though, especially hiking with our two Shelties.
We are looking for relatively easy, dog-friendly hiking trails, around the Santa Fe area.
Any and all suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks!!!
Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 01:28 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,025,226 times
Hi Steve!

Congrats on your move to Eldorado. We have been here for a year and a half and we love it -- more every day.

The great news I have for you is that Eldorado has a simply awesome wilderness area for the use of the residents. Most of the trails are easy to walk, and dogs are allowed. We have two American Eskimos and they love going to the wilderness preserve.

Here are some posts I have made on my blog site about the Eldorado preserve - you can see some pictures there:

La Casa de Towanda: The Eldorado Wilderness

La Casa de Towanda: Trailhead #4, Eldorado Wilderness

La Casa de Towanda: Eldorado Trailhead #3

Old 11-14-2009, 01:30 PM

475 posts, read 1,267,129 times
It is on the opposite end of town from you but -- the BLM's Nambe Badlands Trail is a fairly flat figure 8 that attracts some hikers with dogs. You should have the dogs under control in some manner. Since it is relatively flat it also attract bikers and horseback riders. Not many -- it is unual to run into someone else. Motorized vehicles are not allowed.

If you want to maybe work a little harder you can walk along one of the ridges and get totally away from the bikes and horses. It is hard to get lost because the Sangre de Christos mountains are quite visible to the east and the Jemez are visible to the west and both give you a the north-south orientation.

The trail is described in several of the hiking books and is mentioned on-line.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Hi Steve!

Congrats on your move to Eldorado. We have been here for a year and a half and we love it -- more every day.

The great news I have for you is that Eldorado has a simply awesome wilderness area for the use of the residents. Most of the trails are easy to walk, and dogs are allowed. We have two American Eskimos and they love going to the wilderness preserve.

Here are some posts I have made on my blog site about the Eldorado preserve - you can see some pictures there:

La Casa de Towanda: The Eldorado Wilderness

La Casa de Towanda: Trailhead #4, Eldorado Wilderness

La Casa de Towanda: Eldorado Trailhead #3
Nice photos. I'm jealous -- you seem to have some pinyon down there that survived. I have about ten on my property, but they are all small and have grown up from seed after the big die-off.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:05 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,025,226 times
There are pockets where the pinon survived - but other areas where the loss was huge.

From Hwy. 285 to Santa Fe along I-25 there are many areas of large areas of dead pinon trees. So sad to see.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:00 PM

888 posts, read 1,186,492 times
Thanks for the information!
Should be fun exploring New Mexico with the pooches.
I would imagine Rattlesnakes would pose more of a risk than in my neck of the woods (Western Maryland)?
Our new place in Eldorado has a nice Coyote fenced backyard, so they will enjoy being outside.
Me too!

Steve

Old 11-16-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhound View Post
Thanks for the information!
Should be fun exploring New Mexico with the pooches.
I would imagine Rattlesnakes would pose more of a risk than in my neck of the woods (Western Maryland)?
Steve
Maybe other people have different experience -- but my impression is that the open arid areas around here don't get many rattlesnakes. (I think El Dorado could be characterized as open and arid, but others know better.) I have never seen a rattlesnake in five years just south of the Nambe Badlands and I am out doors a lot. The non-venomous Bull or Gopher snake seems better adapted to the lack of water. The only time I even heard of rattlesnames around here was an unusually rainy wet season several years and the flooding seemed to push them up from wetter areas to the south of us. Then they acted confused, sitting out in the open and often suffering a violent death.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:25 PM

65 posts, read 246,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhound View Post
My wife and I are moving into Santa Fe (El Dorado), at the end of this year.
Since we're both pushing 60;
60 is the new 50.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:29 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,428 times
The only place I have heard a rattlesnake was in the Eldorado preserve and that was when a dog was nosing around some rocks. The owner called the dog off and that stopped it. I just hiked in the Galisteo Basin south (?) of Eldorado that was nice and easy. It wasn't there when I lived in Eldorado - we went to eat in the train car in Lamy afterwards--fun day. I also use to hike with my dogs on BLM land at the end Avenida Vista Grande --I forget if that's the name but it's the road the stores are on. That was mostly rolling and flat. There was an old adobe house falling down out there.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:14 PM

380 posts, read 652,561 times
Default Where Is Everyone Hiking?

Tesuque Creek is closed because of the fires, as is the entire ski basin, and Atalya. I've been hitting Picacho, but that's getting stale.

Thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe